Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #12,348 of 33,689
Subjective more than objective probably.

Anyway, what is consensus about HiLisening HLS-S8 ? Worth the price or not?

The HLS-S8 sounds good (mild v-shape, good detail/separation, solid soundstage, typical hybrid sound imo) and is comfortable but everything else is below average. They have an air of cheapness about them that others in the price range do not. Cable esp. is very thin and poorly relieved. Mine had issues with the MMCX ootb. They're certainly not bad but I'd take others if not only due to the questionable build quality.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #12,349 of 33,689
Don't forget that the Simgot EN700 Bass is around $100 and is very good SQ wise and ergonomically, besides the tangle nightmare cable. The Pro is detachable 2pin but is over $100

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #12,350 of 33,689
1) TFZ Exclusive 5 / King
2) Magaosi K3 PRO / HD
3) Pioneer SE-CH9T-K
4) BGVP DM5

Only question is... which one? ....WHICH ONE? ...WHICH ONE?

:cry:

Really like my Exclusive 5 and have been eying the Pioneers. 5 is a sweet sound with great detail. I'm hearing things I've not noticed before in songs that I know well.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #12,351 of 33,689
Don't forget that the Simgot EN700 Bass is around $100 and is very good SQ wise and ergonomically, besides the tangle nightmare cable. The Pro is detachable 2pin but is over $100

Can anyone compare the bass vs pro sound?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #12,353 of 33,689
1) TFZ Exclusive 5 / King
2) Magaosi K3 PRO / HD
3) Pioneer SE-CH9T-K
4) BGVP DM5

Only question is... which one? ....WHICH ONE? ...WHICH ONE?

:cry:

I don't have 1 or 4, but 3 > 2. I have heard good things about 1 though.

They are both u-shaped IMO, and they are both really really good IEMs. But the CH9T is superior in clarity, construction, balance, and overall sound. It really is splitting hairs though - don't get me wrong, the K3 Pro is a close 2nd. I like the shape/comfort of the K3 Pro better though, although the comfort of the CH9T is perfectly fine.

There's plenty of additional comparisons with other IEMs on the CH9T thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pioneer-se-ch9t-premium-in-ear-headphones.857460

I was planning on buying the DM5 on 11.11, but after reading this post I changed my mind. It seems like 3 > 2 > 4 from the description of the DM5:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1564#post-13783282

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #12,354 of 33,689
I am looking for a natural and neutral sounding iem with great bass thumb and good resolution, imaging and clarity without them being overly bright. I don't just want the 'perception' of clarity and air due to overly boosted treble. There is almost no way to test the iem since I will have to buy it off ebay, so the best I can do is describe the signature I am looking for.
So far according to the reviews I have read the magaosi k3 hd might just fit the category but I need to hear it someone who actually has done A/B testing with iems like fiio f9, ch9t etc

At some point you are going to have to pull the trigger and actually get something. Don't get caught up in what's known as 'analysis paralysis'. Trust me, it's very easy to do, because I often suffer from the same behavior (from my career to investing to buying cars). And I mean that in the most honest, nicest possible way.

All of the IEMs you listed are pretty much regarded as the cream of the crop for their respective price points, and are very very close to one another in terms of sound, features, design, etc - CH9T, K3 Pro/HD, F9, etc. Of the ones on your list, it's literally down to splitting minute hairs.

There is no 'perfect' IEM. One might have better sound but may not be as comfortable for your ears. Another may sound 99% as good, but has better fit and a better cable. And since we all hear things a little different, even if someone else A/Bs them it doesn't mean you'll hear them the exact same way. You can't just go solely on manufacturer's FR graphs and a few people's impressions.

There will be subtleties between them all that may never have been pointed out in other people's impressions. Maybe their ears aren't the same size as yours. Maybe they are a different age than you so their frequency hearing is different. Maybe their ear canal is shaped different so there are reflected resonant frequencies present or absent that you wouldn't have in your ear canals. And that's not even considering what tips, what cables, what source, and/or amp they are using (as well as how well those sources are impedance matched, which appears to be the cause of the majority of the polar opposite impressions people give to the ZS5).

Just get 1, 2, or all 3, evaluate them all, pick which one YOU like, and send the rest back (or sell them, give as christmas gifts, or whatever).

You've been on the fence for months and months. I understand that you want to do your homework and you don't want to make a bad decision - no one does. But trust me, you can spend the next 24 months analyzing the same handful of IEMs and never be 100% sure about any of them if you can't listen to them for yourself in your own ears, on your own gear, with your own music. Wouldn't you rather spend the same 24 months enjoying music?

A lot of people dislike the ZS5 (including you). I happen to love mine to pieces. Is there a singular reason or explanation why? No, it could be due to a dozen of different reasons, from tips to source to hearing to quality control. Does that make 1 or us right and 1 of us wrong? Absolutely not. But just as you discovered with the ZS5, the only way to REALLY know if a headphone is right for you is to try it for yourself.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #12,355 of 33,689
At some point you are going to have to pull the trigger and actually get something. Don't get caught up in what's known as 'analysis paralysis'. Trust me, it's very easy to do, because I often suffer from the same behavior (from my career to investing to buying cars). And I mean that in the most honest, nicest possible way.

All of the IEMs you listed are pretty much regarded as the cream of the crop for their respective price points, and are very very close to one another in terms of sound, features, design, etc - CH9T, K3 Pro/HD, F9, etc. Of the ones on your list, it's literally down to splitting minute hairs.

There is no 'perfect' IEM. One might have better sound but may not be as comfortable for your ears. Another may sound 99% as good, but has better fit and a better cable. And since we all hear things a little different, even if someone else A/Bs them it doesn't mean you'll hear them the exact same way. You can't just go solely on manufacturer's FR graphs and a few people's impressions.

There will be subtleties between them all that may never have been pointed out in other people's impressions. Maybe their ears aren't the same size as yours. Maybe they are a different age than you so their frequency hearing is different. Maybe their ear canal is shaped different so there are reflected resonant frequencies present or absent that you wouldn't have in your ear canals. And that's not even considering what source and/or amp they are using, as well as how well those sources are impedance matched (which causes a large % of the opposite impressions with the ZS5).

Just get 1, 2, or all 3, evaluate them all, pick which one YOU like, and send the rest back. You can spend the next year analyzing the same handful of IEMs and never be 100% sure about any of them if you can't listen to them for yourself in your own ears, on your own gear, with your own music. Wouldn't you rather spend the same year enjoying music?
agree with all of the above and would add, perhaps gratuitously, that often too much focus is placed on sound characteristics and too little on compatibility with source, isolation, intended use, etc.--of the list above, for example, the k3 is an excellent phone, but really needs an amp to shine and can be very revealing of lower quality files, which is to say that it wouldn't be a great choice if your listening to mp3s on a mobile phone.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #12,356 of 33,689
agree with all of the above and would add, perhaps gratuitously, that often too much focus is placed on sound characteristics and too little on compatibility with source, isolation, intended use, etc.--of the list above, for example, the k3 is an excellent phone, but really needs an amp to shine and can be very revealing of lower quality files, which is to say that it wouldn't be a great choice if your listening to mp3s on a mobile phone.

Exactly.

So 10 people can rave about x or y. Then you get it and hate it or have a different experience. Were they all wrong? What did I miss? Should I have done more research? Maybe my pair is defective? Is it my music? Is it my phone? Will a different cable make a difference?

It could be as simple as needing an amp, or a different phone, or a different genre of music, or higher/lower quality files, or a tip swap, or even a higher or lower volume.

90% of people don't specify any of those things in reviews and impressions, And you certainly can't tell any of that from looking at a manufacturer's FR graph (much of which are uncorrected, smoothed, not smoothed, tested on unknown/non-standard/uncalibrated equipment).

Your head can explode if you think about this stuff too hard. At some point the only thing to do is put something on your ears and it will all become clear. That's the difference between knowledge (researching, reading, etc) and experience (doing, listening, etc).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #12,357 of 33,689
Exactly.

So 10 people can rave about x or y. Then you get it and hate it or have a different experience. Were they all wrong? What did I miss? Should I have done more research? Maybe my pair is defective? Is it my music? Is it my phone? Will a different cable make a difference?

It could be as simple as needing an amp, or a different phone, or a different genre of music, or higher/lower quality files, or a tip swap, or even a higher or lower volume.

90% of people don't specify any of those things in reviews and impressions, And you certainly can't tell any of that from looking at a manufacturer's FR graph (much of which are uncorrected, smoothed, not smoothed, tested on unknown/non-standard/uncalibrated equipment).

Your head can explode if you think about this stuff too hard. At some point the only thing to do is put something on your ears and it will all become clear. That's the difference between knowledge (researching, reading, etc) and experience (doing, listening, etc).

exploded head.gif

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #12,358 of 33,689
Can anyone compare the bass vs pro sound?
I sold my Bass to Loomis. The Pro is arriving on Amazon in 3 days. I may pick it up, just to see how it is, the Blue color is really nice IMO

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #12,359 of 33,689
I get amused when something gets a good review and then people who have never heard them post FR graphs and everyone's like "WHOA HOW COULD THEY GET GOOD REVIEWS?"

I'd love to see an experiment where we took a bunch of audiophiles and completely banned FR graphs in any discussions of anything. People are only allowed to use descriptions that come directly from listening. I wonder how much things would change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back