Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #11,750 of 33,689
Guys, just a PSA.

It seems that counterfeit Xiaomi In-Ear Pro HDs are out now, and a HF member on the Pro HD thread has posted details including photos.

He recently bought them from GearBest (sadly), and there has been a 2nd member that has chimed in with another pair from GearBest.

This is sad news - 1) because only previously the Pistons were faked, but more importantly 2) that even GearBest is not immune to counterfeit goods. Whether they knowingly are involved or are even aware of it is unknown. In any event, be aware and be careful.

The most telltale sign is the lack of any BA drivers in the nozzle (in other words, just a crappy single dynamic driver instead of a triple driver hybrid). He posted photos of all of the differences.

Check the Pro HD thread for information and continuing developments: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xia...ro-hd-2-1-hybrid.825485/page-48#post-13742769
Fake from gearbest seriously ?! I'm more inclined to think of it as serious QC issue where they forgot to put in the BA driver. Hmm ... maybe someone with the fake should ask Xiaomi directly to see if they have any idea about this coz if Gearbest is really genuine, they would've been acknowledged and authorized directly by Xiaomi / 1More and any faulty ones are probably just bad batches or poor QC. Unless gearbest secretly do some dirty stuff behind ie. Sourcing from some "supplier" or "factory" who claimed to be manufacturing for the originals but offered a much cheaper price instead.

I got my pair from GB too early of the year and there's no indication of fake. High is crisp and sparkly with some sibilant so i guess BA is there, though it hasn't seen the daylight for like half a year already lol

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #11,751 of 33,689
Fake from gearbest seriously ?! I'm more inclined to think of it as serious QC issue where they forgot to put in the BA driver. Hmm ... maybe someone with the fake should ask Xiaomi directly to see if they have any idea about this coz if Gearbest is really genuine, they would've been acknowledged and authorized directly by Xiaomi / 1More and any faulty ones are probably just bad batches or poor QC. Unless gearbest secretly do some dirty stuff behind ie. Sourcing from some "supplier" or "factory" who claimed to be manufacturing for the originals but offered a much cheaper price instead.

I got my pair from GB too early of the year and there's no indication of fake. High is crisp and sparkly with some sibilant so i guess BA is there, though it hasn't seen the daylight for like half a year already lol

I wish I had an explanation. But I'll let the photos speak for themselves (the telltale giveaway):

Genuine with blue metal screen and BA driver:

1real.jpg

Counterfeit with blue FABRIC screen, smaller nozzle, and NO BA driver:

1fake.jpg

I don't think someone at the 1more factory just accidentally forgot to install the BA driver, swapped out the nozzle for a totally different one, and a different screen...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #11,752 of 33,689
I wish I had an explanation. But I'll let the photos speak for themselves (the telltale giveaway):

Genuine with blue metal screen and BA driver:

Counterfeit with blue FABRIC screen, smaller nozzle, and NO BA driver:

I don't think someone at the 1more factory just accidentally forgot to install the BA driver, swapped out the nozzle for a totally different one, and a different screen...
This is terrible. Luckily i got the ones with blue metal screeen with BA inside. Their reputation is gonna be affected with this if they don't address such issue with a proper satisfactory explanation.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #11,753 of 33,689
+1 ...Haha! me too!
i did pick up the simgot, which i'm enjoying muchly. they're extremely well packaged and built, so may be some innate bias, but they tick most of the boxes for me and belie the notion that a single dynamic must necessarily trail a multi-driver hybrid...
as for the zs5, my final verdict is that it's impressive in its ambition and definitely a keeper--there's a lot it does right. i cannot say, however, that it notches the $>100 players it's attempting to emulate--that bass remains a tad unruly + it definitely, positively needs amping to sound correct.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #11,755 of 33,689
Unfortunately it's pretty clear that it's a knockoff. There are a bunch of differences in the packaging and other slight differences in the IEMs themselves (shorter/thinner nozzles, etc).
But I love Gearbest

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #11,756 of 33,689
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #11,757 of 33,689
Correct @groucho69

George from Gearbest (a HF member) is currently investigating. Since they have ZERO history of counterfeits, I am certain it was unknown to them and that they will make it right!

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #11,758 of 33,689
Correct @groucho69

George from Gearbest (a HF member) is currently investigating. Since they have ZERO history of counterfeits, I am certain it was unknown to them and that they will make it right!
Phew! Over the last couple orders I've only been using Gearbest.. I love their PayPal checkout.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #11,759 of 33,689
Correct @groucho69

I expected nothing less of George. GB is one of my favorite stores for this and many other reasons.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #11,760 of 33,689
Help me decide... ZS5 blue or grey? :floatsmile:
I have they gray. They're a bit boring in person. Look like a part from a carburetor or air conditioner.

carburetor.jpg

sku_468208_2.jpg

I may order a pair of blue ones as they have more visual interest.

Then again, the blue ones might just look like a part from a blue carburetor. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back