Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #11,431 of 33,689
I find it really weird when people get super bent out of shape when an iem that costs SEVEN EFFING DOLLARS turns out to be cheaply made.

EDIT: To elaborate, I feel like some here have gotten it into their heads that these cheaper products are totally on par with more expensive offerings, and that regardless of price they should be competing with products several times more expensive. A few reviewers and other hypemonsters are praising the $30 area sets as peers of IEMs costing a few hundred dollars so now the feeling is that the ones under ten bucks should still feel "professionally made."

To put things in perspective, your hybrid IEM cost as much as a footlong at Subway. It cost less than what I spent on broccoli at the store today. Are you seriously SHOCKED that it's bargain-bin garbage?

Actually it was 5 effing dollars.

And I'm not complaining, nor am I surprised or shocked. And I'm certainly not bent out of shape. I think you're mistaking lighthearted comedy for triggered rage or something.

I'm simply posting my impressions so others can benefit from the information - good or bad. This way we can all make informed decisions. Isn't that one of the main reasons why we're all here (at least in this thread)?

There's good IEMs at all price levels (respectively). The MoreBlue DM8 is $3 and is very respectable for the price. A lot of KZs are respectable for under $10 or $15. Just like there's good IEMs at all ranges - $40, $60, $100, $250, $1000, etc.

They were all discovered by someone biting the bullet and taking a chance. Then sharing those findings with others.

Someone has to be the guinea pig. Sometimes you find gold (CI-880 for example), and sometimes you find a turd. The KD4 turned out to be a turd. Big deal - life goes on.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #11,433 of 33,689
Tons of dynamic drivers do good treble. It just seems more than a little illogical to use a BA in that setup for anything other than the highs because BAs are more suited to them. If you're going to take up space in your housing, use the driver to its advantage instead of choking it.
JHA Lola says hi.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #11,434 of 33,689
JHA Lola says hi.

Last I checked the BA's in the Lola are for the highs.

Unless you're talking about the mid/low arrangement, but even that seems to be a particularly unique setup with the opposing phase midrange drivers, because it's a midrange-specific product (tuned for guitarists, as the webpage says). They obviously didn't want heavy bass to overpower the mids, so put the big boy drivers on the midrange and then used BA's to fill in lows.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #11,435 of 33,689
Last I checked the BA's in the Lola are for the highs.

Unless you're talking about the mid/low arrangement, but even that seems to be a particularly unique setup with the opposing phase midrange drivers, because it's a midrange-specific product (tuned for guitarists, as the webpage says). They obviously didn't want heavy bass to overpower the mids, so put the big boy drivers on the midrange and then used BA's to fill in lows.
Well I haven't read up on or followed it but in one of his videos Jude said its possibly the best iem he's ever heard IIRC

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #11,436 of 33,689
My German review of the affordable final E2000 (as always with a translator widget on the site) is up, including comparisons with the E3000 and Zero Audio Carbo Tenore: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/09/final-e2000-review.html

DSC04227-small.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04228-small.JPG
    DSC04228-small.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #11,437 of 33,689
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #11,438 of 33,689
If i recall correctly, someone ordered this before and said they sounded extremely bad, too much bass bloat and bleed
Thanks

...will not be a sad guinea pig for this one!

No.

Not me!

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #11,439 of 33,689
So I received the QKZ KD4 today. That's the UiiSii T8 style clone.

This thing is a piece of junk. The sound is worse than the VJJB V1, the "grilles" are fake - one is a metal grille, but it's just stuck over a tiny vent hole. The other "grille" is just a STICKER of a grille. That's right, you read that correctly - a foil sticker that looks like a fake mesh grille! That's a new low if I've ever seen one.

And it is a really odd shape that doesn't fit in your ears nor stay in place. It's really shallow and fat. I'm not sure whose ears these were designed to fit. The nozzle needs to be at least 5-7mm longer to even reach my ear canal.

Anyways, I think this will be the last QKZ I waste my money on. 90% of their stuff is average to below-average. Most everything they release is just rebadged mediocre IEMs of someone else's (or maybe it's the ODM stuff KZ makes for others, and can't be legally be sold as a KZ model because of non-compete agreements. Who knows.)

It did come with turbo wide bore tips I can use on something else, and a tiny plastic storage case, so that's something positive I guess.

Welcome in the QKZ desillusion crew!
I guess it's official it's not to be confound with KZ, wich is already a so-so brand in term of Quality check, but don't think they will go as low as puting a sticker of fake grill! LOL, perhaps their sticker of fake BA driver in the housing too....QKZ are like this chinese food made of realistic plastic for presenting their meal...just don't try to eat that! When I begin chifi I make an order including very crappy sounding QKZ HDS2 that broke in 2 peice when I try to change eartips after 1 minute of use. Never again!

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #11,440 of 33,689
i have, by my standards, exercised a lot of restraint of late in my ridiculous chifi buying, sucumbing only to the kz zs5 and zse. now on my shopping list:
**** 6in1 (seems to be oddly bypassed by most here)
hck w1 (highly touted by dbaldock)
simgot en700 (uniformly praised; compelling for some reason)
pioneer ch9t (massively hyped by many i deem reliable)
for some reason, i don't feel drawn to the zs6 yet.
this is a dangerous hobby....

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #11,441 of 33,689
Ordered some DZAT DF10s.

Sure, worst case scenario I get a free notebook and drawstring bag. Lol.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #11,442 of 33,689
i have, by my standards, exercised a lot of restraint of late in my ridiculous chifi buying, sucumbing only to the kz zs5 and zse. now on my shopping list:
**** 6in1 (seems to be oddly bypassed by most here)
hck w1 (highly touted by dbaldock)
simgot en700 (uniformly praised; compelling for some reason)
pioneer ch9t (massively hyped by many i deem reliable)
for some reason, i don't feel drawn to the zs6 yet.
this is a dangerous hobby....

I'm selling my Simgot EN700 Bass

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #11,444 of 33,689
Samsung EO-IG955 sells for as low as £6 on eBay (beware of possible fakes), it's like a warmer/thicker CH9T, incredible value...

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #11,445 of 33,689
Welcome in the QKZ desillusion crew!
I guess it's official it's not to be confound with KZ, wich is already a so-so brand in term of Quality check, but don't think they will go as low as puting a sticker of fake grill! LOL, perhaps their sticker of fake BA driver in the housing too....QKZ are like this chinese food made of realistic plastic for presenting their meal...just don't try to eat that! When I begin chifi I make an order including very ****ty sounding QKZ HDS2 that broke in 2 peice when I try to change eartips after 1 minute of use. Never again!

Haha, yes good analogy!

It's ironic that KZ chose the name QKZ, which stands for QUALITY Knowledge Zenith!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back