Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #16,621 of 33,689
I have not tried either but would be generally very wary before spending close to $200. Got the excellent B100 and read a few very detailed descriptions of the B400 by reviewers I trust, which put them on my bucket list (presently too expensive in Canada). As to the Toneking, they are a big question mark to me and their plastic design/appearance is so far off the brandname mainstream and also so close to cheap earphones that I simply don't trust them as an experienced company - without any qualified reviews.

My buying decision therefore would be easy considering that I like minimizing risk.

Very true, although I do believe the T4 is made of the same UV type resin as other CIEMs are made of?

However, the lack of customer service available (in comparison to Brainwavz amazing service) if something went wrong with the Toneking T4 is a bit frightening to me. Not to mention; the idea of sending close to $200 to an obscure AliExpress seller, definitely doesn't sit well with me.
I really wish the Penon Audio store sold the ToneKing T4, because I really trust those guys..

And yes- there are many many many very well respected reviewers that love the B400, although all of them seem to agree: "it could use a little better bass and treble extension", and this is probably my only repeated reason that I just don't think I'll pull the trigger on the B400, even though I can get it for only $143.55 right now...

Anyway, I think I'll wait for a few more impressions on the Toneking T4 before I grab them..
I HATE waiting, but it's not like I don't already have some really cool earphones right now.. I just really want an "up-grade" rather than a "side-grade" for a change.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #16,622 of 33,689
You bring up a good point. I don't really know how easy a repair would be or how long it would take if something happened to my Toneking. I'll ask the store I bought them from and just see what they have to say. I grilled them with a million questions before buying them and they were quick and descriptive with their responses. Good luck bud, on whatever you do end up getting eventually. Both are fantastic at the 150.00- 200.00 price point.
I will stop talking about the T4's now until someone else talks about them. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I'm shilling or doing something unethical. I just genuinely was taken by surprise and couldn't contain by excitement. I was pm'd and will take it to heart and back off commenting, lol. Good luck to everyone and may their music sound fantastic, with whatever gear they're using! Cheers!

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #16,623 of 33,689
I have written a review (in German). Here is a (very) short version of the main points.

Packaging & Accessories
Minimal. Go buy yourself a case and I also recommend SpinFit CP-145.

Design & Build
I am not a fan of the bling-bling metal housing. It's highly reflective and it could be a bit more ergonomic. The nozzle is very long and makes it a bit more difficult to find the correct fit than necessary. But I have no issues with the build quality.

The cable is good. Copper-clad aluminum is actually quite cheap and not the preferred choice for high-end audio (because of high resistance), but the 8 strings are very flexible with no memory. It does feel good and is user-replaceable. I think a new one costs 299 CNY which isn't expensive. Channel separation is very good.

Sound
Wow. Whatever your expectations, increase them! This is basically the best dynamic IEM I have yet heard.

Based on my friend's measurements over at Headflux.de, I have compensated the curve in REW, smoothed it and manually corrected the resonance (7.5 kHz) peak to my personal hearing (9 kHz). The outcome of my subjective perception looks like this:

This is indeed very close to the original frequency response released by 水月雨 MoonDrop. I think our targets might be very similar.

The bass is very good. You can hear the boosted sub-bass but it's not overdone. The coloration is minimal and the Kanas Pro Edition (KPE) does not sound boomy or even punchy. It sounds accurate with some added rumble. It's not a well-textured bass - which is typical for dynamic IEMs, but some prefer this as the perception is closer to the physical impact of loudspeakers.

The midrange is awesome! Tonally accurate but most importantly detailed without any fatigue. The resolution is very high and I managed to pick up small cues that I never thought dynamic drivers were capable of - like doubled voices on the track, clipping in the mastering, small recording errors, etc. But none of them jump at you, the music is always the priority.

The treble has a bright tilt, e.g. it starts slightly recessed and then picks up and peaks at 12-13 kHz. This creates a slightly fuzzy sound with higher notes and many cymbals on Rock records, which mostly hit at around 6-8 kHz, are not as pronounced. The dip does remove any threats of sibilance, so don't worry about sharp S-sounds. Just a few trumpets sounded slightly hot to me. Harmonics are boosted which gives the illusion of increased resolution but also faster decay. It's a preference that I personally do not share. But overall, this is nitpicking and the treble presence is there where it belongs. The extension is superb. (In fact, I don't know many IEMs that actually manage to get the highs just right so I could criticizes whichever IEM you name me.)

Soundstage is not the biggest I've heard but decently wide. The somewhat neutral tuning cannot create the depth of a v-shaped bass-boosted IEM but on the plus-side imaging is better. As I already mentioned, the resolution is top-notch. It does not sound like a multi-BA. It sounds softer but the microdetails are all there and the KPE performs better in the midrange than some TOTL BAs that I've heard. (I don't want to bash your favorite IEMs so I'm keeping it general.)

BTW, MoonDrop advertises extremely low distortion. I don't think this is something ears can easily pick up or is a make or break criteria, but my friend can confirm that his measurements have shown very low klirr factor.

Verdict
I really love them! On my list of favorite IEMs (short version in my profile), there are but two dynamics and both of them budget-tier. I want to place the KPE next to StageDiver 2 and Etymotic ER4 XR - or even above them because of the formidable extension on both ends. I could actually imagine using the KPE for professional monitoring, but they sound almost too enjoyable for this purpose.

Recommended for:
- Fans of the Sony MH1 that need an upgrade: The KPE will give you a more accurate tonality and a much improved resolution.
- Maybe for fans of the CA Andromeda. Not the stock 0 ohms version, but if you like the Andros at 3 ohms OI, the KPE could be the dynamic version of that.
- Users that randomize their playlist with all kinds of genres. EDM, violins, complex Jazz, Concerto, Rock, .... whatever. I can't think of a genre that would not be suited.
- Users that enjoy a good midrange but do not want to neglect bass and treble.
- Users that do not have a high-end source. This IEM does not bend at all. You can throw 100 ohms OI at it, it will sound the same as with 0 ohms. Just stay away from hiss, I can actually hear it with the Nintendo Switch.
- Finally, users that usually do not like dynamic IEMs and might have underestimated the capabilities.

Not recommended for:
- Fans of v-shape signature or big bass. The bass has a mild boost only.
- Users with very fit-dependent ears. Fit is not bad, but there are quite a few UIEMs that are easier to get a seal and a secure fit with.
- Users that do not want to blind by-passers in the sun. The metal housing reflects like crazy.

Excellent! Would you say the male vocals on KPE sounds more realistic than the ER4XR?

I've got Ety ER4B and XR but I think XR has been a bit redundant in my inventory having 4B. Also, everything that you've written is that what I've been missing on XR. So I'd keep the 4B and buy the KPE to replace the XR.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #16,624 of 33,689
You bring up a good point. I don't really know how easy a repair would be or how long it would take if something happened to my Toneking. I'll ask the store I bought them from and just see what they have to say. I grilled them with a million questions before buying them and they were quick and descriptive with their responses. Good luck bud, on whatever you do end up getting eventually. Both are fantastic at the 150.00- 200.00 price point.
I will stop talking about the T4's now until someone else talks about them. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I'm shilling or doing something unethical. I just genuinely was taken by surprise and couldn't contain by excitement. I was pm'd and will take it to heart and back off commenting, lol. Good luck to everyone and may their music sound fantastic, with whatever gear they're using! Cheers!

Well to me, you said/did nothing wrong by being excited over your awesome new T4 discovery. :)
I was the same way about my TinAudio T2 when I first got it...

That said; it is VERY contagious when ever someone falls deeply in love with their "Easter Egg" find of an IEM! lol!
One guy on here ( @Dsnuts ), is an excellent writer, and he always gets me pumped to spend mega $$$ on his earphone discoveries, but I have learned to be patient and let my emotions subside before pulling the trigger on any IEM, especially when the said IEM is approaching the $150+ area...

Either way, PLEASE don't stop writing newly discovered details about your T4s!
I for one really enjoyed what you have had to say about them, and also look forward to hearing more form you as well as others who get a T4...
Also, PLEASE let me know how well they respond to EQ when you get a chance?? :)
If you feel better PM'ing me on the EQ thing I understand.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #16,625 of 33,689
One reason I felt the need to spread the love is because of how Toneking does business. You won't see many of the "popular" reviewers talk about them. Why?? Because Toneking doesn't send out many free samples to review, if at all.
I honestly wish they did because I think they would be way more known and respected. The guys I've read about that have reviewed a product from them, have mostly been really positive. Mr Z knows how to tune an iem! Case in point is the Nine Tail. I only know of 1 review of them and they're another surprise gem. They're very unusually shaped, but tuned very, very well. Anyways, if anyone does want anything answered, please PM me and I'll do my best to help in anyway I can. I love this community and have received a ton of help from many of you, and want to reciprocate it if possible.

Jul 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #16,626 of 33,689
They aren't "normal" plastic though, and are completely different than any other chifi that I see on your list of owned earphones and my own list as well. They're a heavy, filled acrylic and have a MUCH better build quality than either of my 2 other favorites, the B400 and FLC8s. I also hope you get a chance to try them someday and see what quality chifi can be like. They feel and sound like nothing else that I've bought from that market honestly. The FLC8S sound great, but don't have the greatest build ,and likewise the B400. That seems to be where they kind of skipped to keep the cost down. Give it time, i'm sure someone other than me will be chiming in soon enough! Cheers!
Yes, sure, but we don't know all this...hence a whole bunch of qualified reviews would help. You took the risk and it appears to have worked out.

As to the B400, they have better warranty and faster shipping.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #16,627 of 33,689
Yes, sure, but we don't know all this...hence a whole bunch of qualified reviews would help. You took the risk and it appears to have worked out.

As to the B400, they have better warranty and faster shipping.
Very true Otto. I am in no way trying to discredit Brainwavz, as I am a big fan of both the B200 and B400 and also what they're trying to do with cost to performance in the audio world. I recommended them alot to people who ask for good sounding, and inexpensive iem's.
I also am hoping "qualified" reviewers start paying for some Toneking earphones so people can start finding out how good the company is as a whole.
It is a fact that Brainwavz has a good warranty and fast shipping too. It's a good time to be a fan of midfi chifi for sure!

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #16,628 of 33,689
Well I have the Toneking TK2 and it is honestly my favourite iem at the moment
Very interesting.

Could you please give a short comparision between the Toneking TK2 and my beloved Rose Mini6 and as well with the NiceHCK HK6?

I super love the flat-open-detailed-resolving-natural voices-oriented sound of the Rose Mini6 and the HK6 sounds good to my ears, too (exception is the mid-bass bump on the last).

Are the TK2 more direction Mini6 or HK6 or of a different character?

P.S. You are a lucky man that your Rose Mini6 still works well.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #16,629 of 33,689
Just received my TRN v80.

@crabdog mine sound nothing like you describe aside from them being a touch sibilant. Seems to be plenty of sub bass.

Not going to jump in with 2 feet just yet but initial impressions are very favourable. Lots of detail and decent separation and non recessed mids.

Really well built and nice weight. Cable is really nice too.

20180718_111325.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #16,630 of 33,689
The Toneking TK2 is closer to the sound of the Rose mini. It has amazing highs. Fits like the HK6 with no mid bass hump.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #16,631 of 33,689
My suspicion, having just been through watching a CIEM be made, is that if you were to return your toneking, they would send a new one rather than attempting to fix the existing. Cutting into the shell to work on it effectively destroys the shell and at that point you are putting the drivers into a new shell. If one of the drivers is the problem, there is even less reason to tear it down as you get even fewer reusable parts and what you can recouperate isn't worth the effort of pulling it.

You bring up a good point. I don't really know how easy a repair would be or how long it would take if something happened to my Toneking.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #16,633 of 33,689
Humm, maybe too early but considering the latest comments here and in "The discovery thread" a Toneking Hype might come up. :)
T4 and TK2, (maybe later T66S and T88K?)
Had the SW3 (nogo for me due to piercing upper mids/highs) and Ninetail (quite good, natural)

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #16,634 of 33,689
Just received my TRN v80.

@crabdog mine sound nothing like you describe aside from them being a touch sibilant. Seems to be plenty of sub bass.

Not going to jump in with 2 feet just yet but initial impressions are very favourable. Lots of detail and decent separation and non recessed mids.

Really well built and nice weight. Cable is really nice too.

@toddy0191 you're right. I was too hasty with my early impressions and should have done some tip rolling before posting. After changing to some shallow wide-bore tips the sound has improved significantly. However, I still think there's a pretty rapid sub-bass roll-off. I will do some measurements soon to see if it's reflected in the graphs.

For some reason, I was thinking the price was $70 (I received a review sample) and that's partly why I was being so critical. For the actual price (as low as $31 on HotFi) it's pretty decent. I agree with you that the build quality and cable are very good for the price.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #16,635 of 33,689
That said; it is VERY contagious when ever someone falls deeply in love with their "Easter Egg" find of an IEM! lol!
One guy on here ( @Dsnuts ), is an excellent writer, and he always gets me pumped to spend mega $$$ on his earphone discoveries, but I have learned to be patient and let my emotions subside before pulling the trigger on any IEM, especially when the said IEM is approaching the $150+ area...

I remember Dsnuts. He was the reason I purchased way too many JVC headphones, back in was it 2011-2012. He's the reason I partially believe in burn in because some of those JVC headphones definitely needed it and there was a definite change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back