Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #16,338 of 33,689
KZ ED 16 - I've been waiting for this one

Basic Signature: the ED16 is characterized by a warm, open, and relaxed sound. It tags on where the ZSR left off. The ED16 is effectively a more refined ZSR imo. It is not an evolution of the ZS6 as its second/alternative name "ZS7" implies - it is not as analytical sounding. It has the ZSR cable, even (which has always been fine for me). And the ED16 earpieces are nice and small. Excellent fit for my ears.

Bass: prominent, warm, with lots of punch, and well extended to the deeper frequencies, yet it is not overwhelming and does not smudge into the midrange.

Midrange: is equally warm and never harsh or sibilant. Vocals are relatively forward...still a bit recessed...and firm (in contrast to the ZS10, for example)...the mids are well executed.

Treble: starts rolling off at 4.5 kHz and has a small 10 kHz peak, which does not produce any piercing.

Altogether now: Bass, mids, and treble are linked by a glaze that results in an excellent sonic fluidity.

The overall image is big, the soundstage is rather wide and not quite as deep. Spatial presentation is excellent. Instrument separation and layering are good.

I really like the ED16 a lot after having been lukewarm on the ZS10 and (less so) on the ES4. I am very positively surprised and impressed by the ED16. To me, it is the budget KZ hybrid I have been waiting for.

A clear statement, finally: here you have it; the ED16 is much superior sounding over its ES4 sibling imo.

Comparison to the ZSR: both are similar sounding with the ED16 having a scaled-back and more controlled bass and more forward mids. The ZSR have more depth.

In summary: the quality of the ED16 is a viable reason to discontinue this model right after its introduction. Yes, it has been discontinued (production was halted on 25th of June according to the blogosphere). Too good in comparison to KZ's more expensive models? Grab it while you can.

What next on our KZ wish list: an earphone with the sound like the ED16 and metal housings like the ZS6.

Hey, and if somebody puts in a good word for me I may soon be able to post stuff like this on the KZ thread again.

IMG_0158.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #16,339 of 33,689

Basic Signature: the ED16 is characterized by a warm, open, airy, and effortless sound. It tags on where the ZSR left off. The ED16 is effectively a more refined ZSR imo. It is not an evolution of the ZS6 as its second/alternative name "ZS7" implies - it is not as analytical sounding. It has the ZSR cable, even (which has always been fine to me). And the ED16 earpieces are nice and small. Excellent fit for my ears.

Bass: prominent, warm, with lots of punch, and well extended to the deeper frequencies, yet it is not overwhelming and does not smudge into the midrange.

Midrange: is equally warm and never harsh or sibilant. Vocals are relatively forward...still a bit recessed...and firm (in contrast to the ZS10, for example)...the mids are well executed.

Treble: starts rolling off at 4.5 kHz and has a small 10 kHz peak, which does not produce any piercing.

Altogether now: Bass, mids, and treble are linked by a glaze that results in an excellent sonic fluidity.

The overall image is big, the soundstage is rather wide and not quite as deep. Spatial presentation is excellent. Instrument separation and layering are good.

I really like the ED16 a lot after having been lukewarm on the ZS10 and (less so) on the ES4. I am very positively surprised and impressed by the ED16. To me, it is the budget KZ hybrid I have been waiting for.

A clear statement, finally: here you have it; the ED16 is much superior sounding over its ES4 sibling imo.

In summary: the quality of the ED16 is a viable reason to discontinue this model right after its introduction. Yes, it has been discontinued (production was halted on 25th of June according to the blogosphere). Too good in comparison to KZ's more expensive models? Grab it while you can.

What next on our KZ wish list: an earphone with the sound like the ED16 and metal housings like the ZS6.

Hey, and if somebody puts in a good word for me I may soon be able to post stuff like this on the KZ thread again.

+1:point_up::sunglasses:

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #16,341 of 33,689

Basic Signature: the ED16 is characterized by a warm, open, airy, and effortless sound. It tags on where the ZSR left off. The ED16 is effectively a more refined ZSR imo. It is not an evolution of the ZS6 as its second/alternative name "ZS7" implies - it is not as analytical sounding. It has the ZSR cable, even (which has always been fine to me). And the ED16 earpieces are nice and small. Excellent fit for my ears.

Wait why did they stop making it?

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #16,342 of 33,689
The ones from NiceHCK or Hisenior? I've only had the pleasure to hear the B8 so far, the 8BA per side version from Hisenior. I fell in love instantly and ordering the T12 was a very easy decision. They have my dearest recommendations! Their sound is very balanced and the midrange is unlike anything I've heard before in any IEM so far.

A further reason why I'm a fan of Hisenior already is the transparency. I know exactly which drivers were built into the B8 or the T12 and he provided me with frequency graphs for every IEMs I requested. Other manufactures sometimes don't mention the BAs used at all, which is why I'd be "paranoid" they were just going to use cheaper non-Knowles/sonion BAs. Not saying they sound bad, but with Knowles and Sonion you know you'll get quality sound.

Seriously, if you have any questions about the B8 for example, just ask me, or drop Hisenior a message. He'll be able to help you select an IEM to your liking. I easily asked 30 questions, some of which were really far-fetched, but he answered every one of them. This is why I was also easily willing to spend so much money on a Chi-Fi flagship.

I was taking about the HCK version. And that’s nice to know:D

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #16,343 of 33,689
Hey guys, I haven't posted anything to this thread yet, but I do actually already own a Chi-Fi IEM, the Hisenior B8, which I'll sell to finance the Hisenior T12, their 12BA per side flagship.

Now I also just ordered these as well:

https://goo.gl/g499zb

These are NiceHCKs flaghship the NICEHCK DZX-14BA, with no reviews on Head-Fi yet.

They have both yet to arrive but I'll post a dedicated review with some comparisons between them. If I still have the Hisenior B8 till then, I might throw them in for comparison as well! :)

Also, I went for the 2-Pin version, as I've heard that MMCX might not be as good longevity wise, is that correct? Any answers to that would be helpful! Wanna make sure I choose the right connection type for this kind of beauty.
I am very curious about your dedicated reviews and especially whether you can report of a mid bass humped house sound of NiceHCK.
I have the NiceHCK HK6 for a few days now and I can attest build quality and appearance are very good. MMCX connection is solid. I have not doubt this will last for a long time.

dsnuts both reviews on the HK6 and DZ12 made me purchasing the HK6.

The HK6 is still in the burn process which I did not do on my purchases for a long time but his special recommendation for this step convinced me. Well, believe it or not I already make out some positive changes by online comparing to my Rose Mini6. The sound turned from kind of muffled into a clearer manner.
I hear the HK6 with InAirs foam tips and still the detail retrieval is really excellent. That is why I like the HK6 in general although the mid bass lift (kinda NiceHCK house sound???) and a coloration especially in the highs / upper mids are not to my liking. Strings do not sound natural to my ears.

Will see if there will occur any more improvements by (brain) burn in.
But so far I am impressed with what NiceHCK is able to offer.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #16,344 of 33,689
Here some pics: this one shows the ZSR, ES4, and ED16 (from left to right) and also a famous ear(phone reviewer). A physical comparison of ZSR and ED16 is behind the spoiler.
IMG_6749.jpg
IMG_6754.jpg
IMG_6756.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #16,346 of 33,689
Wait why did they stop making it?
First, I got confirmation by Jim NiceHCK that Knowledge Zenith really stopped production of the ED16. Allegedly, it didn't sell well in China. I think, it is just too good in comparison with their more expensive ZS10. One of the dealers has reportedly a stash of 200 left, therefore no panic.

Soon, it will be a collectors' item like the ZS5 v1.

Considering that KZ only started issuing hybrids less than two years ago, they have come a long way.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #16,348 of 33,689
First, I got confirmation by Jim NiceHCK that Knowledge Zenith really stopped production of the ED16. Allegedly, it didn't sell well in China. I think, it is just to good in comparison with their more expensive ZS10. One of the dealers has reportedly a stash of 200 left, therefore no panic.

Soon, it will be a collectors' item like the ZS5 v1.

Considering that KZ only started issuing hybrids less than two years ago, they have come a long way.

I would not worry too much for now, as Amazon is selling them. So, you should be able to get them for a while yet. I received mine yesterday from Aliexpress, but it is too soon to post any opinions...

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #16,349 of 33,689

Basic Signature: the ED16 is characterized by a warm, open, and relaxed sound. It tags on where the ZSR left off. The ED16 is effectively a more refined ZSR imo. It is not an evolution of the ZS6 as its second/alternative name "ZS7" implies - it is not as analytical sounding. It has the ZSR cable, even (which has always been fine for me). And the ED16 earpieces are nice and small. Excellent fit for my ears.

Can't wait for mine to be delivered by slow junk from China.
Also, unban Otto from kz thread.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #16,350 of 33,689
I just got my KZ ED16 in the mail and I'm starting to realize I'm standing on a skyscraper throwing money away. They sound great but I expected to hear NASA on the way to the moon for the very first time (or Hollywood movie set). I didn't get the explosion I thought other people said would be there.

I think it's time to stop buying headphones and listen to the ones I have even though there might be better ones out there...somewhere. I just don't know where. They always end up sounding the same (under $30). I guess I have to spend over $50 for a pair? I'll pass for now. ($400+ of budget headphones to listen to.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back