Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #6,406 of 7,153
the openheart should arrive any day now for me, if not today, I'll try my best to give a comprehensive review of it as my first proper review for the site.
I'm not sure I'll get it perfect, but I'll have Allesandro MS1 (basically grado 125e with less agrressive treble and upper mids) to compare it to, along with my fidelio x1s and koss ksc75, and yuin g2a ear clips.

And, if you really think I should, I suppose I could unpack the xioamis, and also compare the openheart to the m40x with brainwavz angled pads since it does have a larger stage with those.

I think grados are the fairest comparison since that is what they're trying to clone, and the ksc75 given the price/sound ratio and opennness, no?
Thank you very much in advance! :) I don't own the other headphones you mentioned, but I'm sure it would be helpful for others.

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #6,408 of 7,153
I started to play with EQ on the Xiaomi Mi 2 graphene headphones, here is my first draft. My main goal is to eliminate the nasal/veiled flavor, and push the sound a little bit towards a mild U shape signature. I partly based my modifications on the measurement graph of this article https://www.thephonograph.net/xiaomi-mi-headphones-2nd-generation-tdsej02jy-review/
I will refine this further, as I believe this is the right direction. The nasal/echoey midrange is gone, and the sound become more open and airy. The headphone has already sounded nice in stock form but now it starts to become really really good.
The Achilles' heel of the original tuning was bright and crispy genres like progressive rock/metal (for example I proofed the EQ with one of my favorites: David Maxim Micic - Living Room), the headphone often sounded muffled and echoey with these in stock tuning. Now I can fully enjoy this kind of music which sounds awesome with the minor adjustments below.

I used small modifications, around 2-3db because I don't want to push things too far, but feel free to exaggerate based on this. Here is a screenshot of my equalizer apo profile. Basically, I reduced frequencies around 500-1200hz and increased at 20-60hz, 2000hz and between 5000-12000hz. Based on my brief experiment, the biggest impact is achieved by reducing 800-1000hz and increasing 6-12000hz.

Attachments

• xiaomi--2-eq-v01.jpg
    xiaomi--2-eq-v01.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #6,409 of 7,153
Nov 14, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #6,411 of 7,153
I think that's the one anyway. Looks like it literally got listed yesterday as of this reply.

... So has anyone ordered it yet?

I have

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #6,412 of 7,153
I wonder if the most unique thing about the BL-30 is the 70mm driver (According to the specs on the page anyway). I got no way to find out yet if this'll be BLON's ace in the hole or not, but at least it's unique at this price point and that along with the rather high impedance of 150Ω it doesn't point towards budget driver. Or does it?

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #6,413 of 7,153
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #6,415 of 7,153
It might be good. Sony mdr-ma900 with 70mm driver was like $300.

Dang that looks beautiful!

I really wanna try it, but there's no way I can smuggle it past my wife. Earbuds and IEMs are more concealable. Wearing a big headphone like that is a sure way to get caught hahaha. Look forward to your review!

I know the feeling :) Solution is simple: MORE HEADPHONES! You need to build a collection of affordable headphones. Store them in sight so she sees a load of headphones regularly. Keep buying and selling the headphones, mix it up. Eventually she won't notice what is new and what has been there since forever. I did not do it intentionally but I realized I'm now in a position I can buy new headphones and nobody pays attention what happens around my desk anymore :D

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #6,416 of 7,153
It might be good. Sony mdr-ma900 with 70mm driver was like $300.

I know the feeling :) Solution is simple: MORE HEADPHONES! You need to build a collection of affordable headphones. Store them in sight so she sees a load of headphones regularly. Keep buying and selling the headphones, mix it up. Eventually she won't notice what is new and what has been there since forever. I did not do it intentionally but I realized I'm now in a position I can buy new headphones and nobody pays attention what happens around my desk anymore :D

Haha i have about 50 cheap iems and earbuds at home. It is true she doesn't realize about the different iems cause they are small and mostly dull coloured.

But when I got the BLON BL05S (which only came in a radioactive green colour), she noticed straight away and gave the evil eye lol. I tried to explain it off as the Moondrop SSR (also had a radioactive green version), but she knew. The Moondrop SSR had an anime otaku box. But the box that came with the BLON was boasting some crap motto about BELIEF, NEVER GIVING UP, OPPOTY AND LETTING MUSIC BURN. She knew haha, couldn't get it past her.

TvfKH9y.jpg

iLyAviw (1).jpg

Compared to you headphone gurus, I am not really a headphone guy, have only 4 headphones. She will surely notice a new one coming in, not to mention the huge 70 mm driver size. And headphone packaging is larger than iems and buds. Still figuring how to get headphones in via the mail hahaha.

But the 70 mm specs and BLON brand is very interesting, looking forward to your reviews!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #6,418 of 7,153
Haha i have about 50 iems and earbuds at home. It is true she doesn't realize about the different iems cause they are small and mostly dull coloured.

But when I got the BLON BL05S (which only came in a radioactive green colour), she noticed straight away and gave the evil eye lol. I tried to explain it off as the Moondrop SSR (also had a radioactive green version), but she knew. The Moondrop SSR had an anime otaku box. But the box that came with the BLON was boasting some crap motto about BELIEF, NEVER GIVING UP, OPPOTY AND LETTING MUSIC BURN. She knew haha, couldn't get it past her.

TvfKH9y.jpg
iLyAviw (1).jpg

Compared to you headphone gurus, I am not really a headphone guy, have only 4 headphones. She will surely notice a new one coming in, not to mention the huge 70 mm driver size. And headphone packaging is larger than iems and buds. Still figuring how to get headphones in via the mail hahaha.

But the 70 mm specs and BLON brand is very interesting, looking forward to your reviews!

I like this colour scheme -with that gold gives 60's (?) or Fallout kinda vibe :D

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #6,419 of 7,153
I like this colour scheme -with that gold gives 60's (?) or Fallout kinda vibe :D

Haha it is unique for sure. I received disapproving and weird stares when I brought those out on the subway a few weeks ago. Now they remain only for home use LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back