Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #871 of 7,153
The VE adapter is for balanced cables and is made to be used in the end that goes into a balanced source so I'm pretty sure that they won't work for this problem.

They're really cheap cables with 2.5mm connectors so that's probably the easiest solution.

3.5 female and 2.5 male

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #872 of 7,153
I just tried that mod on my marantz, and it works. However, the input jack in the headphones becomes at higher risk of damage. The locking sleeve that gets taken out adds stability. The only rememdy would be to get a very close fit between the cable end and the input cylinder.

I put the sleeve back in, I think these headphones are good just the way they are, but it is nice to know that you don't necessarily need the proprietary cable.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #873 of 7,153

Thanks for sending! However, the more I look at this picture--comparing it to my Marantz MPH-2 and aftermarket cable--I realize this mod won't accomplish anything for me because:
  • The cable-jack connector on the bottom of left earcup is a cylindrical plastic housing that is integral with the plastic body of the earcup. See image below.
  • That cable-jack connector has a narrow inside diameter--too narrow for the width of any aftermarket cable jacks I've seen.
  • So my aftermarket cable could not plug into this housing, regardless of what component was (or was not) inside to receive the shaft of the connector.

The only options I can think of are:
  1. Get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Even if such a thing exists, it would also have to fit inside this housing to make connection w/the headphone output (allowing my 3.5mm aftermarket cable jack to connect to the female end of the adapter)
  2. Alternatively, I could have this cable reterminated with a narrow 2.5 mm cable jack w/body narrow enough to fit into the earcup housing. I recall seeing this discussed on Massdrop re the E-MU Teak headphone, which has a detachable/locking cable similar to the MPH-2.s

This adapter might/might not work: https://www.amazon.com/Josi-Minea-Converter-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B011S90B6E/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1491756431&sr=1-3&keywords=2.5mm+male+to+3.5mm+female+adapter

Here's another variant that might/might not fit the earcup housing--but even if it did, I'd be stuck w/that skinny little pigtail/cable (no thanks)
https://www.amazon.com/Inovat-Female-Headset-Adaptor-devices/dp/B01EVEGL44/ref=sr_1_16?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1491756431&sr=1-16&keywords=2.5mm+male+to+3.5mm+female+adapter

Hi I did mentioned this before, I got these adapters from ebay,( by the way, they are actually 3.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for MPH9000, only M50X uses 2.5mm to 3.5mm)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142088315557?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #874 of 7,153
3.5 female and 2.5 male

Interesting post! Now you've got me thinking...check out this (to me, at least) more promising adapter--because it isn't a wire based extender (w/thin & probably low quality cable included):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-3-5mm-Male-to-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-MIC-Adapter-Extender-USA-/311423558217?hash=item48824a6249:g:tc4AAOSwMmBVy~p7

IF this thing plugged into the cable jack housing on the MPH-2's w/o use of dremel tool or dynamite--whether the interior metal flange that accomplishes locking was there or not--it might allow me to use my aftermarket cable.

But per a recent post here, removal of that flange can result in unstable cable-to-headphone connection. So it's really a gamble. I may buy this little gadget just for the hell of it, hoping it might work...

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #876 of 7,153
Yeah the reason why I would like an aftermarket cable option is bc the stock coiled cable I'm not a fan of, it's not terrible. Just would like something shorter and straight.

I have a cable from CablesForLess coming this week for my 9500S

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #877 of 7,153
Oh yeah the Status Audio CB-1 is on Massdrop for $54.99, shipping is probably like $5-10. So ends up being cheaper than the $80 on Amazon.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #879 of 7,153
I have a barely used CB-1 (just burned in, no real head-time) F.S. here for less than that, incl. shipping.

Basically same sound as the LyxPro? I believe that what's I remember you saying

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #880 of 7,153
Basically same sound as the LyxPro? I believe that what's I remember you saying

Very similar in sound. Both are balanced/even across the frequency range. Bass may be slightly better on LyxPro, maybe also soundstaging (differences quite small).

Some variation in comfort/fit between these headphones, but again, differences are minor. CB-1's have just about the best earpads I've ever encountered, tho the LyxPro's are pretty good, too.

Both offer excellent good sound for cheap $$.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #882 of 7,153
Hi.
Coming over from IEM thread and looking for an over ear beside my IEM.

I know it is a common question so please forgive me because I am not in the mood to go through the full thread.

I would like to gather some proposals for Chi Fi Over Ears with (close to) High End sound:

- closed build (need for isolation) but as airy and open sounding as possible
- Close to neutral and balanced signature but with a kind of "sparkle" - not looking for (very) bass enhanced models
- very good resolution and micro details
- natural sounding (guitars and voices should sounds most like they are in real)
- good or very good soundstage
- no matter if wired or wireless, NC or whatever.
- no Superlux recommendations please as I already tested many of them and was not satisfied
- comfortable with ergonomic and "over ear" (and replacable) earpads
- Price up to 300€ 

I did have already some Over Ears which I already liked but was not 100% satisfied with. So, if anybody knows PSB M4U1 and NAD Visio HP50. This is what I am more or less behind but with better resolution and micro details.

Can someone help, please?

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #885 of 7,153
Normally I don't recommended headphones I have not heard but I have a feeling demo-to might like in2uit headphones. Supposedly very good chifi headphones, roughly 300usd,closed back elecrodynamic-dynamic hybrids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back