Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 27, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #826 of 7,153

Your question triggered a memory of a similar pair of headphones. It's the Lasmex L-85. No idea if that's an earlier iteration of the L-90, or something totally different (it looks extremely similar). The L-85 was discussed in this HF thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/817590/lasmex-l-85-headphones

(L-85 didn't sound very promising in that thread)

Agreed, the few that reported back (on the L-85) said they sounded pretty meh. The Philips SHP9500 is almost half the cost and walks all over the L-85.

One odd thing about the L-90 is the manufacturer's photo identifies them as "fully enclosed headphones". I assume that means CLOSED back (vs the open-backed L-85). The "grille" of the L-90 could just be fake/for looks, just like it is on the Xiaomi Mi Hi-Fi headphones:

The L-90 sure does look sexy though.

Interesting point about the round-pads-oval-hole thing. That's an interesting design - in THEORY it will add more bass at the cost of a reduced soundstage vs the same round pad with round hole.

I wonder how much room is left for your ears in the round-pads-oval-hole design. For example, I have 2 pairs of Philips SHL3300. It's designed for a 100mm round pad, but oval pads such as the Brainwavz HM5 also fits. On one of my SHL3300 I have 100mm round pads, and the other I have Brainwavz HM5. The INSIDE dimensions of each is as follows:

100mm pads = 56mm diameter ID
HM5 pads = 50mm width x 70mm length ID

My (average size) ears are 60mm long. Both are comfy, but you can obviously guess which pad fits my ears better.

It appears like the Lasmex is a hybrid of the 2 designs - a round pad with oval ID. Like merging the more natural shape and generous ID of my Brainwavz pads with the OD of the 100mm pads. Brilliant!

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #827 of 7,153
Yeah I was always interested in the 85 but read it was meh, maybe somebody will bite th bullet on the 90

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #828 of 7,153

Agreed, the few that reported back (on the L-85) said they sounded pretty meh. The Philips SHP9500 is almost half the cost and walks all over the L-85.

One odd thing about the L-90 is the manufacturer's photo identifies them as "fully enclosed headphones". I assume that means CLOSED back (vs the open-backed L-85). The "grille" of the L-90 could just be fake/for looks, just like it is on the Xiaomi Mi Hi-Fi headphones:

The L-90 sure does look sexy though.

Interesting point about the round-pads-oval-hole thing. That's an interesting design - in THEORY it will add more bass at the cost of a reduced soundstage vs the same round pad with round hole.

I wonder how much room is left for your ears in the round-pads-oval-hole design. For example, I have 2 pairs of Philips SHL3300. It's designed for a 100mm round pad, but oval pads such as the Brainwavz HM5 also fits. On one of my SHL3300 I have 100mm round pads, and the other I have Brainwavz HM5. The INSIDE dimensions of each is as follows:

100mm pads = 56mm diameter ID
HM5 pads = 50mm width x 70mm length ID

My (average size) ears are 60mm long. Both are comfy, but you can obviously guess which pad fits my ears better.

It appears like the Lasmex is a hybrid of the 2 designs - a round pad with oval ID. Like merging the more natural shape and generous ID of my Brainwavz pads with the OD of the 100mm pads. Brilliant!

Funny thing--I have rather large ears, but feel quite comfortable in 100mm round earpads w/round holes, best example being the original yenona's deep pads, which I found quite comfortable.

I make a distinction here: when my ears touch the driver surface, even a little bit, it's instantly uncomfortable & gets on my nerves. But if they touch the inside walls of well-padded earpads, I don't feel discomfort. MInd you, I'm talking about pads that measure ~4" or more on the outside, not the really small one in the on ear designs.

And yes, the L-90 is sexy as hell. Spend enough time on Aliexpress and you'll see other Chinese designs that're pretty interesting looking (but w/unknown sound quality).

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #829 of 7,153
Yeah I was always interested in the 85 but read it was meh, maybe somebody will bite th bullet on the 90

Yeah, I'm sure someone will eventually try them. $200 is an awwwfully big pile of cash, and will buy some REAL nice cans.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #830 of 7,153
Yeah, I'm sure someone will eventually try them. $200 is an awwwfully big pile of cash, and will buy some REAL nice cans.

Didn't even catch the price tag. Yeah that's a bit much considering the 85 reviews. I'd rather get some Senns or Beyerdynamics for that price

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #832 of 7,153
A question about the build quality for those who have the Marantz MPH-2, LyxPro HAS-30, ISK MDH9000 or variants:

How are yours headphones? Did They have any defects in the construction or are they in perfect condition? Thanks in advance.

I have 2 marantz and 2 freeboss headphones, I've been using one of the marantz exclusively daily for a couple months to get a good idea of how they hold up. So far I have had no problems and no degradation.

I'm a music producer and avid listener of different music, and I just love the sound and comfort of these.
I sound checked my other 3 and they all sound identical.

I should add that my Freeboss models have slightly better headband stitching/form. But it's very slight. For the price on Amazon right now ($46), they come with 2 cables, whereas the marantz come with one. They just have a dumb name on them, which is ok for me. Less of a chance they will walk out of my studio.

Either way, you can't go wrong with any of these. They are easily worth double the price.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #833 of 7,153
My LyxPro came perfect and still look perfect, I don't use them all that much bc Im more of an iem guy but I have no doubts in their build

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #834 of 7,153
  A question about the build quality for those who have the Marantz MPH-2, LyxPro HAS-30, ISK MDH9000 or variants:

How are yours headphones? Did They have any defects in the construction or are they in perfect condition? Thanks in advance.

I owned 1 Marantz MPH-2 that I used 1-2 months then gave to my brother. Then a LyxPro HAS-30 that I bought to replace it, used a couple months, then gave to a friend. And finally, a 2nd pair of Marantz MPH-2 that I've had ~3 months.

Not a single flaw, problem, or "flimsy construction" moment with any of them. The oldest pair that I gave my brother are going strong. I just used my Marantz MPH-2 last night; as always it worked perfectly and sounded great. And may I say, I've now listened through this Marantz to some very fine, powerful amps (Audio GD SA-31SE; Violectric V281), and it scaled right up w/them. You can't expect inexpensive headphones to do that, but they do.

IMO these ISK MDH9000 clones are just about the best deal in headphone audio right now.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #835 of 7,153
I have 2 marantz and 2 freeboss headphones, I've been using one of the marantz exclusively daily for a couple months to get a good idea of how they hold up. So far I have had no problems and no degradation.

I'm a music producer and avid listener of different music, and I just love the sound and comfort of these.

I should add that my Freeboss models have slightly better headband stitching/form. But it's very slight. For the price on Amazon right now ($46), they come with 2 cables, whereas the marantz come with one. They just have a dumb name on them, which is ok for me. Less of a chance they will walk out of my studio.

Either way, you can't go wrong with any of these. They are easily worth double the price.

I'm interested in your comments. I've often said in this thread that I suspected these ISK MDH9000 clones have accurate/realistic enough sound to be used by music professionals--but not being one, I was just conjecturing. You're a music producer and seem to like these HPs for pro & personal use. That's interesting.

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #836 of 7,153
Quote:

My LyxPro came perfect and still look perfect, I don't use them all that much bc Im more of an iem guy but I have no doubts in their build

I owned 1 Marantz MPH-2 that I used 1-2 months then gave to my brother. Then a LyxPro HAS-30 that I bought to replace it, used a couple months, then gave to a friend. And finally, a 2nd pair of Marantz MPH-2 that I've had ~3 months.

Not a single flaw, problem, or "flimsy construction" moment with any of them. The oldest pair that I gave my brother are going strong. I just used my Marantz MPH-2 last night; as always it worked perfectly and sounded great. And may I say, I've now listened through this Marantz to some very fine, powerful amps (Audio GD SA-31SE; Violectric V281), and it scaled right up w/them. You can't expect inexpensive headphones to do that, but they do.

IMO these ISK MDH9000 clones are just about the best deal in headphone audio right now.

Guys, thank you very much for the quick answers. I made that question because I buy a ISK MDH9000 by aliexpress and delivery here to Brazil takes from one and a half to three months... So I was afraid to recieve a pair faulty or the headphone did not last long. But what you told made me calm. Of all the reviews I saw of them in amazon (us, ca, uk and jp), Musician's Fried an Guitar Center, there were very very few defect cases. I'll post a review of it as soon as I receive and burn in.

Has anyone even compared their sound to the sound of the ATH M50X?

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #837 of 7,153

Guys, thank you very much for the quick answers. I made that question because I buy a ISK MDH9000 by aliexpress and delivery here to Brazil takes from one and a half to three months... So I was afraid to recieve a pair faulty or the headphone did not last long. But what you told made me calm. Of all the reviews I saw of them in amazon (us, ca, uk and jp), Musician's Fried an Guitar Center, there were very very few defect cases. I'll post a review of it as soon as I receive and burn in.

It's funny to see your question about the ATH M50X. Several times in this thread, I've been tempted to contrast the Lxy Pro or Marantz to that headphone--not because I've heard it (I haven't), but because it seems to have dominant share in the >$200 headphone market. When I first got into headphone audio & didn't know much, I researched the ATH 50X pretty thoroughly, but didn't like what I found...too many people talked about it being uncomfortable, too bright, bass elevated but not accurate, etc.

Now after a couple years in this hobby and reading 100s of pp of Head-Fi threads, I wouldn't go near that headphone. And then there $$$ ... the ATH M50X costs 4X what the ISK MDH9000 clones do. If it was 4X better than them, that would be fine. But apparently, it's not.

The ISK MDH9000 clones are definitely not bright; have very good bass; and above-average comfort. Sometimes people really want bright headphones (they're looking for "detail," or the illusion of detail); open-back design; or something else the ISK clones won't do. But if you're looking for comfortable, closed-back headphone that covers the full frequency range with honesty (but isn't especially "hyped" in any one area), the ISK MDH9000 clones are a good choice.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #838 of 7,153
I'm tempted to buy MDH9000's, since I've been really impressed with the hp2011's which are sonically better than takstar or somic offerings I've tried. For the price they're amazing, but a bit bright/clinical so I was thinking the 9000s might be exactly what I need. From my understanding the bass is slighty bigger in quantity, mids are pretty close and the highs are a bit less detailed when compared to the hp2011's. Soundstage and separation pretty close as well. Can anyone confirm this?

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #839 of 7,153

Yes, I have had the M50X for over a year and am not impressed.  Their sound is much too V-shaped, and like Pharmaboy said, they are much too bright for me to use.  In fact, they downright hurt my ears.  The MDH9000 clones are more comfortable, more accurate, and have nearly the same build quality (if not equal.)

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #840 of 7,153

It's funny to see your question about the ATH M50X. Several times in this thread, I've been tempted to contrast the Lxy Pro or Marantz to that headphone--not because I've heard it (I haven't), but because it seems to have dominant share in the >$200 headphone market. When I first got into headphone audio & didn't know much, I researched the ATH 50X pretty thoroughly, but didn't like what I found...too many people talked about it being uncomfortable, too bright, bass elevated but not accurate, etc.

Now after a couple years in this hobby and reading 100s of pp of Head-Fi threads, I wouldn't go near that headphone. And then there $$$ ... the ATH M50X costs 4X what the ISK MDH9000 clones do. If it was 4X better than them, that would be fine. But apparently, it's not.

The ISK MDH9000 clones are definitely not bright; have very good bass; and above-average comfort. Sometimes people really want bright headphones (they're looking for "detail," or the illusion of detail); open-back design; or something else the ISK clones won't do. But if you're looking for comfortable, closed-back headphone that covers the full frequency range with honesty (but isn't especially "hyped" in any one area), the ISK MDH9000 clones are a good choice.

Yes, I have had the M50X for over a year and am not impressed.  Their sound is much too V-shaped, and like Pharmaboy said, they are much too bright for me to use.  In fact, they downright hurt my ears.  The MDH9000 clones are more comfortable, more accurate, and have nearly the same build quality (if not equal.)

I'm happy to confimr my suspiction that i bought a headphone with a better sound than the M50X and for a much lower price, especially when take into account the brasilian reality, in wich the equipment cost more than double the price praticed there in the USA, for example... In the face of so much hype about the M50X, I ended up taking it for reference when choosing a headphone. Thanks.

I'm tempted to buy MDH9000's, since I've been really impressed with the hp2011's which are sonically better than takstar or somic offerings I've tried. For the price they're amazing, but a bit bright/clinical so I was thinking the 9000s might be exactly what I need. From my understanding the bass is slighty bigger in quantity, mids are pretty close and the highs are a bit less detailed when compared to the hp2011's. Soundstage and separation pretty close as well. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't now if you have seen this post end based your reference on it, but there's a good comparasion between the two headphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread/4110

Users who are viewing this thread

Back