Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,381 of 7,153
Ugh...this is really outta nowhere, but do you guys know any good chi-fi open headphone with a neutral sound signature? I am finding one for mastering and stuff. Currently thinking about the ATH R70x since there is a pretty good deal here for it, but..yeah, I am open to suggestion. Budget under 250$.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,382 of 7,153
Ugh...this is really outta nowhere, but do you guys know any good chi-fi open headphone with a neutral sound signature? I am finding one for mastering and stuff. Currently thinking about the ATH R70x since there is a pretty good deal here for it, but..yeah, I am open to suggestion. Budget under 250$.

Pretty much neutral but closed not open, require proper amping to sound excelent - ISK HP2011. You'll forget you wanted an open one - sound stage is very large. Detailing and imaging at monitoring levels, very transparent, extension present and both ends (it is target at monitoring as you can read on the box and cups and this time is not just marketing bs).
Check the Takstar thread for comparisons with other cans and thoughts from more experienced hifiers (1clearhead brought these to my attention, he has done a few comparison posts in the mentioned thread).

Looking at all that cash in your hand this might not be what you are looking for but nevertheless thought of pointing them out. Get these and spend the rest on things that matter: booze and babes.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,383 of 7,153
Pretty much neutral but closed not open, require proper amping to sound excelent - ISK HP2011. You'll forget you wanted an open one - sound stage is very large. Detailing and imaging at monitoring levels, very transparent, extension present and both ends (it is target at monitoring as you can read on the box and cups and this time is not just marketing bs).
Check the Takstar thread for comparisons with other cans and thoughts from more experienced hifiers (1clearhead brought these to my attention, he has done a few comparison posts in the mentioned thread).

Looking at all that cash in your hand this might not be what you are looking for but nevertheless thought of pointing them out. Get these and spend the rest on things that matter: booze and babes.

Shame on the unremovable, wee bit flimsy looking cable though: gods know how many cables I have snatched and broken by now. Annnnyway, I don't drink and I don't date either, so....eh, I guess I will try to find a way to justify spending 165$ on an r70x with aftermarket sliver cable.
.....Or buy no headphone and spend all of that cash on a violon string-binge. I mean, 40$ gold-plated E-string that broke after 2 weeks of light use? Welcome to the mother****ing snake oil, elitist show that is the violin community.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,384 of 7,153
Strangely enough, there aren't many open Chi-fi headphones. The vast majority of products are closed with some "semi" open and a few rare open cans on the inexpensive side of things. Hifiman planars have several under $250 open HPs. 400i, 400s, and Edition S are all open headphones that are fairly neutral. The only other ones I can think of are the SoundMagic HP200 (haven't heard), and the Superlux or Samsons. I don't have those later 2 either, but reviews say they are just a tad bright of neutral, but many like the brightness for monitoring/mixing.

Then again, if you wanting cheap, good, mostly neutral open cans.. it is hard to beat SHP9500 by philips for the price.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,385 of 7,153
Strangely enough, there aren't many open Chi-fi headphones. The vast majority of products are closed with some "semi" open and a few rare open cans on the inexpensive side of things. Hifiman planars have several under $250 open HPs. 400i, 400s, and Edition S are all open headphones that are fairly neutral. The only other ones I can think of are the SoundMagic HP200 (haven't heard), and the Superlux or Samsons. I don't have those later 2 either, but reviews say they are just a tad bright of neutral, but many like the brightness for monitoring/mixing.

Then again, if you wanting cheap, good, mostly neutral open cans.. it is hard to beat SHP9500 by philips for the price.

SoundMagic HP200, while excellent headphones, are more U-shaped than neutral. They sound wonderful though - one of the top 3 in my collection.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,386 of 7,153
Strangely enough, there aren't many open Chi-fi headphones.

Not sure how open these are considered to be but they sound great to my ears and are not overly bright... Superlux Hd HD681 Evo. I have only had them for a few hours and am currently burning them in on my desktop system (although they sound great right out of the box) so I can't really say more than this yet. I know I am a bit late to the party... these came out years ago.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,387 of 7,153

I love my HD668Bs for their neutrality. I love my SR850 as well, but they emphasize both treble and bass a bit more than the HD668B. This is also visible in their frequency charts. The SR850 has a more exciting sound as a result, while the HD668B has a more relaxed sound.

https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/superlux-hd668b/
https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/samson-sr850/

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,388 of 7,153
Not sure how open these are considered to be but they sound great to my ears and are not overly bright... Superlux Hd HD681 Evo

These are different from original 681 in the sense that the reported occasional sibilance was addressed and the signature is more L shaped with a big lumpy bass thar is both fun and also tiresome. So not very neutral unless your a big basshead and they might seem that way. Good detailing and imaging though, nice value. These were my entry in chi-fi, sold them in the mean time.

Btw there's a thread for these with modding instructions and everything. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,389 of 7,153
So not very neutral unless your a big basshead and they might seem that way.

I am definitely not a basshead but I do want to hear the bass that is meant to be there in something like Jeff Beal's House of Cards soundtrack. I listened to a few tracks by some of my favorite singer songwriters (some of whom I have seen live) and everything sounded the way it should to me. No thumping bass in songs where it does not exist... Listening right now to Amber Rubarth... her voice and the strings sound good to me and as you said, no sibilance. Of course everyones ears and equipment are different so it is often difficult to agree. Sometimes I even wonder if individual headphones vary slightly. I do know what you mean about tiresome bass...that would give me a headache but others crave it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,391 of 7,153
Speaking of woodies Chi-fi on the cheap... these just showed up

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mob...nter-Warm-Headset-for-iPhone/32751371773.html

I have no idea how good they are, but they look interesting so to me is worth a shot at the price. Thinking of doing this with an ISK MDH8500 order.

Also looks like the Tate & Bauer is now gone from Amazon too.

Decided to give this a try too. Kind of curious about the detachable cup connection, and hoping by some small chance it uses the same type as Yuin G2a, Koss KSC75 & PortaPro. If it does, it could make for one amusing combo.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,392 of 7,153
Decided to give this a try too. Kind of curious about the detachable cup connection, and hoping by some small chance it uses the same type as Yuin G2a, Koss KSC75 & PortaPro. If it does, it could make for one amusing combo.

Are those real wood, or just a fake wood finish?

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,393 of 7,153
It says Wood Coating, so I have zero real hope for actual wood. Could be an amusing headphone however. I might have a balanced cable I can use with it, so I'll give that a try too when it arrives.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,394 of 7,153
Are those real wood, or just a fake wood finish?

I was looking over several of the images and the wood grain isn't repeated from what I can see. Maybe all real wood? That's why I thought to give it a try. If I saw repeating patterns I would have avoided.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,395 of 7,153
Grabbed an Anker 3.5mm cable off Amazon b/c it looked thin enough for the Lyx, unfortunately not so. Oh well, either gonna return or just keep since its a nice cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back