Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 23, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #6,736 of 7,153
Folks,

Is Blon (BossHifi) B8 still a good purchase nowadays? I know that it is necessary to replace its pads to reach a good performance.

I already own the Takstar Pro 82 and the k371.

Thank you

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #6,737 of 7,153
Folks,

Is Blon (BossHifi) B8 still a good purchase nowadays? I know that it is necessary to replace its pads to reach a good performance.

Thank you
Owning the Pro 82 and having demoed the K371, my understanding of the B8 is that you'd be better off looking to bring something else into your collection, especially if you're chasing something with better timbre.

Might be time for an open back, though I recall you had customs and pricing issues in Brazil.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #6,738 of 7,153
Owning the Pro 82 and having demoed the K371, my understanding of the B8 is that you'd be better off looking to bring something else into your collection, especially if you're chasing something with better timbre.

Might be time for an open back, though I recall you had customs and pricing issues in Brazil.

Thank you, @jasswolf .

I was about to order the B8.
I will then now save for some desk amp.

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6,739 of 7,153
Folks,

Thank you
Here is a comparison of Pro 82 and B8: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-7#post-13522381
If you are not looking for a more mid-forward presentation, you'd be better off investing in one of Pro 82 synergy combos: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-5#post-13501419

P.S. I'm not 100% sure that B8 sold today is the same as the original one...

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #6,740 of 7,153
Here is a comparison of Pro 82 and B8: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-7#post-13522381
If you are not looking for a more mid-forward presentation, you'd be better off investing in one of Pro 82 synergy combos: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-5#post-13501419

P.S. I'm not 100% sure that B8 sold today is the same as the original one...

What a great per-dac/amp comparison you did.

I've been using the Fiio K5 Pro for about 2 years but I'm looking for a balanced desk amp. Currently, I am between the Magnius and the upcoming SMSL SH-8s (depending its price once it is release).

About the B8 sold today, you may be right. On Aliexpress the only version I can find uses a per-side cable instead of a single connector (to the cans).

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #6,741 of 7,153
What a great per-dac/amp comparison you did.
Thank you!

I've been using the Fiio K5 Pro for about 2 years but I'm looking for a balanced desk amp. Currently, I am between the Magnius and the upcoming SMSL SH-8s (depending its price once it is release).
A balanced amp is useless without a balanced DAC - you'd be better off buying a balanced amp/DAC.
I have quite a few balanced amp/DACs (10-12), but I just ordered balanced cables for Pro 82 yesterday, so it will take sometime for me to review the balanced outputs.
Your best bet is FIIO BTR3K - it sounds fantastic both wired and wireless, and has both single-ended and balanced outputs.
At 65$ (after a 5$ store coupon), it has an unbeatable price/performance ratio.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000849710696.html

About the B8 sold today, you may be right. On Aliexpress the only version I can find uses a per-side cable instead of a single connector (to the cans).
I'm less bothered by the cables, more concerned about the drivers.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #6,742 of 7,153
A balanced amp is useless without a balanced DAC - you'd be better off buying a balanced amp/DAC.
Not true, and a balanced DAC and a balanced amp are not the same thing. "Balanced" should not have been applied to differential signaling used in headphones, but many years ago it helped to sell more headphone amplifiers by conflating the use of the term balanced (the confusion doubled sales of amps), and now the term continues to get used. This video does a good job explaining the differences:

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #6,743 of 7,153
Thank you!

I have quite a few balanced amp/DACs (10-12), but I just ordered balanced cables for Pro 82 yesterday, so it will take sometime for me to review the balanced outputs.
Your best bet is FIIO BTR3K - it sounds fantastic both wired and wireless, and has both single-ended and balanced outputs.
At 65$ (after a 5$ store coupon), it has an unbeatable price/performance ratio.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000849710696.html

I'm less bothered by the cables, more concerned about the drivers.

I have the 9038S (v3) and the previous BTR3 (non-K version). The 9038S is very good (powerfull) even though it is not wireless.

According to the seller, the 'balanced' B8 uses the same drivers. Anyway, I will skip it...

Thank you for your advices.

Not true, and a balanced DAC and a balanced amp are not the same thing. "Balanced" should not have been applied to differential signaling used in headphones, but many years ago it helped to sell more headphone amplifiers by conflating the use of the term balanced (the confusion doubled sales of amps), and now the term continues to get used. This video does a good job explaining the differences:

I will take a look.
Thank you!

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #6,744 of 7,153
I have the 9038S (v3) and the previous BTR3 (non-K version). The 9038S is very good (powerfull) even though it is not wireless.
BTR3 sounds very good with Pro 82, but BTR3K still sounds significantly better with Pro 82.
Also - it has a balanced output, and provides a fully balanced solution with 2 DACs inside.

Thank you for your advices.
You are welcome!

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #6,745 of 7,153
Anyone seen this yet? Linsoul seems to be interested in pushing the boundaries on some rather expensive headphones from unknown Chinese brands lately. I've never heard of Timsok, and $2,000 is a hefty price (reminds me of the Music Master headphones often seen on AliExpress). I do like that it's purple though.
FYI, Zeos has a Timsok TS-1024 review posted already for his Patreon patrons ... an interesting review for sure, but not sure when it's going to be released publicly. They look gorgeous, though!

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #6,746 of 7,153
FYI, Zeos has a Timsok TS-1024 review posted already for his Patreon patrons ... an interesting review for sure, but not sure when it's going to be released publicly. They look gorgeous, though!

Criinacle Did a write up on them recently as well. His opinion seems to be that they’re good, not great, and no worth anywhere near the $2,000 asking price, which is where I had a feeling these would land.

Hard for a no-name brand to compete with the LCD-3 or Arya for the same or more money even if it were as good.

Timsok has a neat looking headphone but they need to price it at $500 or less if they plan on selling many.

May 17, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #6,748 of 7,153
Use exacto knive or similar tool to peel off glue.

When you have removed enough glue pry the driver off it's housing. If it does not seem to come off remove more glue. DO NOT PLACE The knive under the driver because it can touch and damage the driver membrane! So touch only the side. Also use something durable or not magnetic. I once broke a tip of exacto knive at this point. Magnet pulled it chipped part in and broke the driver membrane. It was rare and very expensive Sony mdr-f1. So lesson learned.
I'm really having a hard time prying off the driver. It feels "welded shut" and I've removed what seems like a metric ton of glue already, and started chipping the plastic already... What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I got to remove it after heating the glue with a hairdryer. It was still surprisingly sticky!

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_201721.jpg
    IMG_20210517_201721.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back