Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 14, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #5,867 of 7,153
Can I get some recommendations for a wired over ear, dynamic driver cans, that can be used balanced? Prefer a moderately warm and dynamic sound. Clean and slightly elevated low end, mildly mid forward, with a smooth top end that has some sparkle to it. Don't need a big Soundstage, but I don't want it to be boxed in either. Instrument separation is important. Can be opened or closed. Top end budget of 300 dollars. I'm sure there are several headphones mentioned within this thread, that I've never even heard of. If it provides any help, my favorite closed can is the 99 Classics with small pads. Open back would be the Sennheiser 660s. Look forward to what I may discover in this thread.
Anyone? Thx

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5,868 of 7,153
Anyone? Thx

On the inexpensive side, consider the Monolith by Monoprice M650 on sale for $80:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30865

With sockets on each cup, shouldn't be hard to find/source a compatible balanced cable.

You can also get aftermarket balanced cables for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones, which go for $150:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones?mode=shop_open

If you're looking for something closed that includes a balanced cable, consider the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, which comes with an additional A2DC to 4.4mm Pentacon balanced cable:

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c4d0e2fba2520405/index.html

Wait for a sale/coupon and you should be able to get them for around $200. Aftermarket A2DC cables are available, as well as adapters to go from 4.4mm Pentacon to other balanced types.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #5,869 of 7,153
On the inexpensive side, consider the Monolith by Monoprice M650 on sale for $80:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30865

With sockets on each cup, shouldn't be hard to find/source a compatible balanced cable.

You can also get aftermarket balanced cables for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones, which go for $150:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones?mode=shop_open

If you're looking for something closed that includes a balanced cable, consider the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, which comes with an additional A2DC to 4.4mm Pentacon balanced cable:

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c4d0e2fba2520405/index.html

Wait for a sale/coupon and you should be able to get them for around $200. Aftermarket A2DC cables are available, as well as adapters to go from 4.4mm Pentacon to other balanced types.
I already own the 58X and Msr7b.. Both with balanced cables. Love em both. I was interested in the M650 when 1st released, but it didn't get much positive feedback. Really not any kind of feedback lol. How is it? It definitely fits my wants. I was hoping to come across an obscure headphone I'm not familiar with, from the Asian market.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #5,870 of 7,153
I already own the 58X and Msr7b.. Both with balanced cables. Love em both. I was interested in the M650 when 1st released, but it didn't get much positive feedback. Really not any kind of feedback lol. How is it? It definitely fits my wants. I was hoping to come across an obscure headphone I'm not familiar with, from the Asian market.

1More H1707 Triple driver can be used balanced.

You just need a cable with 2.5mm ends for the cups. They have to have narrow shoulders and a long tip. You can also convert the stock cable to balanced. Or you can make mmcx adapters, and use any balanced mmcx cable.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #5,871 of 7,153
1More H1707 Triple driver can be used balanced.

You just need a cable with 2.5mm ends for the cups. They have to have narrow shoulders and a long tip. You can also convert the stock cable to balanced. Or you can make mmcx adapters, and use any balanced mmcx cable.
Had those once upon a time as well. Weren't bad, but didn't quite make the cut. Do you have a lead on a 2.5mm narrow balanced cable for these?

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #5,872 of 7,153
Had those once upon a time as well. Weren't bad, but didn't quite make the cut. Do you have a lead on a 2.5mm narrow balanced cable for these?

No one makes a pre-made balanced cable that I know of. You’d have to DIY. Although I’m sure any of the custom cable makers on Aliexpress would be able to make one.

I made one out of a KZ upgrade cable, but you can theoretically use any cable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1more-h1707-triple-driver-over-ear.849824/page-64#post-15002180

And I also made mmcx adapters, which allow me to use mmcx balanced IEM cables (or in this case mmcx TRN BT20):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...dphone-mods-here.867426/page-25#post-15002280

The 2.5mm plugs are on Aliexpress.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #5,873 of 7,153
Me too, for me it's either these or trying to get a pair of Takstar hf 580 on a sale. It's quite a price jump but I feel a need to cut down on the amount of half decent headphones I buy. :)
I currently almost never use anything else than my Sennheiser HD 590 or my AKG k550 mk2.:triportsad:

Yes, that is consistent with what I remember...though it has been a while. I do not consider the ZX1 as "Dark", but its also not overly "in your face" like I remember the planars.
Im not great with headphone talk, but the mids/high/mids of the ZX1 seem very natural to me. Perhaps not "flat", but very enjoyable IMHO.
The ZX1 are definitely V-shaped, and the treble has a knack for getting quite sharp, which comes up mostly with synth beats and female vocals. It's definitely something you can get around with song choice, and the form factor is very easy to mod the enclosure, but it's worth considering before purchase.

Additionally, these treble peaks have a habit of messing with perception of soundstage depending on the track (assuming it was recorded properly and mastered to properly produce that separation).

The next steps up at the moment would be the Fidelio X2HR on sale at $99 (though not currently), and then the HD6XX at $190ish. I would suggest that Fidelio would best resemble the ZX1 of the two, but I haven't A/B compared them.

In a similar price range, the Takstar Pro 82 v2 (from TakstarAudio if you're wanting guarantees) presents as great value, and despite being closed it has a great soundstage for a closed back due to angled drivers and its tuning. It has remarkable treble and seems to use an exceptional dynamic driver, but the nature of the design means the default bass tuning is flatter than most people would like. Still sounds fantastic, and you have 3 options on the bass port, with the next step up in bass being acceptable with minimal distortion and bleed into the mids.

Having compared the ZX1 and Takstar, I'd say opt for the Takstar if you haven't already, and maybe grab the ZX1s if you're happy to try and modify what's happening with the brightness (EQ doesn't seem to help, but I haven't experimented much), with the added bonus of a solid DIY headphone kit if you'd like to experiment with other drivers.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #5,874 of 7,153
The ZX1 are definitely V-shaped, and the treble has a knack for getting quite sharp, which comes up mostly with synth beats and female vocals. It's definitely something you can get around with song choice, and the form factor is very easy to mod the enclosure, but it's worth considering before purchase.

Additionally, these treble peaks have a habit of messing with perception of soundstage depending on the track (assuming it was recorded properly and mastered to properly produce that separation).

The next steps up at the moment would be the Fidelio X2HR on sale at $99 (though not currently), and then the HD6XX at $190ish. I would suggest that Fidelio would best resemble the X1 of the two, but I haven't A/B compared them.

In a similar price range, the Takstar Pro 82 v2 (from TakstarAudio if you're wanting guarantees) presents as great value, and despite being closed it has a great soundstage for a closed back due to angled drivers and its tuning. It has remarkable treble and seems to use an exceptional dynamic driver, but the nature of the design means the default bass tuning is flatter than most people would like. Still sounds fantastic, and you have 3 options on the bass port, with the next step up in bass being acceptable with minimal distortion and bleed into the mids.

Having compared the ZX1 and Takstar, I'd say opt for the Takstar if you haven't already, and maybe grab the ZX1s if you're happy to try and modify what's happening with the brightness (EQ doesn't seem to help, but I haven't experimented much), with the added bonus of a solid DIY headphone kit if you'd like to experiment with other drivers.

Thanks for the different view, I was getting a little overhyped : )

I am looking for a headphone with a new soundsignature, the takstar 82pro seems to be rather close to my akg k550 whilst the hd 6xx are rather close but with less treble than my hd 590.

I like the fidelio X2HR but the soundstage sounded "too big" like a giant where singing to me. Does the zx1 have the same effect?

I enjoy a bright treble, if you've tried the hd 590 (a brighter cousin to the hd600/hd580) you know, but I've had too many encounters ear-piercing peaks (lasmex l85 or hd 200) mostly around 5 kHz.

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #5,875 of 7,153
Thanks for the different view, I was getting a little overhyped : )

I am looking for a headphone with a new soundsignature, the takstar 82pro seems to be rather close to my akg k550 whilst the hd 6xx are rather close but with less treble than my hd 590.

I like the fidelio X2HR but the soundstage sounded "too big" like a giant where singing to me. Does the zx1 have the same effect?

I enjoy a bright treble, if you've tried the hd 590 (a brighter cousin to the hd600/hd580) you know, but I've had too many encounters ear-piercing peaks (lasmex l85 or hd 200) mostly around 5 kHz.
Maybe the AKG K361 and K371s are an option for you? More specifically the K371, but apparently they either have QA issues (at least at launch) or there's an issue with how close they go to the Harman curve. Be sure to test in a store if possible.

Right now there's just not a lot of impressive open back dynamics in the chi-fi scene based on my limited sampling, but with the pressure coming in from cheap planars, we might see some movement in that space, but they'll come at a premium to the $20-$60 price point presently.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #5,876 of 7,153
Maybe the AKG K361 and K371s are an option for you? More specifically the K371, but apparently they either have QA issues (at least at launch) or there's an issue with how close they go to the Harman curve. Be sure to test in a store if possible.

Right now there's just not a lot of impressive open back dynamics in the chi-fi scene based on my limited sampling, but with the pressure coming in from cheap planars, we might see some movement in that space, but they'll come at a premium to the $20-$60 price point presently.

Tbh, I believe the takstar ARE the cheap planars you refer to. The hifiman he4xx are as basic of a planar as possible but has a smaller diaphragm than the takstars. the cost of all the small magnets and the process time to cut traces for the "coil" are hard to escape. I believe that any "real" planar with decent sound never will go for less than 100 bucks

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #5,877 of 7,153
I'm on the search again...
Looking for wireless (bluetooth) closed over-ear headphones.
I'm a basshead, so the more bass, the better.
It'd be nice if the headphones accept Brainwavz earpads.
Also, I have an extra large head.
Any suggestions?

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #5,878 of 7,153
Any suggestions?
+1 -- Ive been ok using a FiiO or uBTR as a BT bridge, but I'd love a all-in-one, cheapish, solution

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #5,879 of 7,153
Tbh, I believe the takstar ARE the cheap planars you refer to. The hifiman he4xx are as basic of a planar as possible but has a smaller diaphragm than the takstars. the cost of all the small magnets and the process time to cut traces for the "coil" are hard to escape. I believe that any "real" planar with decent sound never will go for less than 100 bucks
Tend to agree, but my point was more along the lines of the value proposition if another planar driver appears, and then people look at the quickly hobbled together dynamics and opt to experiment with a higher quality driver.

A better standard of dynamic driver would have its place if tuning wasn't too arduous.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5,880 of 7,153
Any suggestions?
I have received today from amazon.es the bluetooth headphone tribit xfree tune. An incredible sound by 35€. All the frecuencies sound great, with a very powerfull base. I recommend it, its a very enjoyable sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back