Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #32,822 of 33,689
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #32,823 of 33,689
The TRI Starsea and KBEAR Believe are available for roughly the same price with one my local retailers, any idea on which one to get? coming from Final e3000 and Hifiman RE-400, would like to try new sound signatures haha

Isn't TRI and KBEAR from the same company?

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #32,824 of 33,689
I have the Starsea, and it is good for folk in particular, many people think it is the best for classical in its price category.

The Believe is considered very special because of the material used. Harder to get. It's probably a better all-rounder. If you can get it for the same price as the Starsea, that may be the better deal.

And yes, TRI is KBear. TRI mostly puts out the higher-end KBear, and KBear mostly sticks to sub-$100. Mostly.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #32,825 of 33,689
The TRI Starsea and KBEAR Believe are available for roughly the same price with one my local retailers, any idea on which one to get? coming from Final e3000 and Hifiman RE-400, would like to try new sound signatures haha

Isn't TRI and KBEAR from the same company?

They are the same company, TRI is just the more premium wing supposedly.

The 2 are very very different sound wise. Essentially TRI Starsea is more technical and more "reference" and more versatile too. KBEAR BElieve has better timbre and tonality, but is very difficult to drive. They are more complimentary than competing IMHO.

TRI Starsea has 4 different sound signatures, from V shaped to U shaped to neutralish, more versatile as such. It has better technicalities, better isolation and fit. It is easier to drive too, but ideally needs a source with output impedance < 1 ohm in view of the 9ish (low) impedance in the IEM. It can be a good studio/stage monitor in view of the isolation and good technicalities.
KBEAR BElieve is a U shaped smooth set, great timbre and takes EQ like a champ. It is a pain to drive due to the lowish sensitivity. It is not a matter of volume, as u can just jack up the volume on a non LG smartphone, but more that u lose layering, bass tightness, details, dynamics and soundstage when underpowering it. When underpowered, the bass is also a bit muddy and soundstage is congested. So if you don't have an amp, best to consider alternative IEMs. But once amped, it has a very mature sound, coherent tonality, good timbre, can hit about 70% sonic performance of the DUNU LUNA (which costs 10 times more).

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #32,826 of 33,689
There are also some theories that the famous MH1 requires some EQ to make it sound nice. It is a trick that sony did to make the earphone sound the best when it is paired with their xperia smartphone.

Some info on MH750:
1) There seem to be a few hardware revision: (The drivers are the same, no difference in sound)
AG0500 : Cable is harder, the filter at the end of the nozzle is black base with white circle in the middle
AG0501: Cable is softer, filter at the end of nozzle is full black.
TB2pkQBaiRnpuFjSZFCXXX2DXXa_!!41587672.jpg

TB2_6oBaolnpuFjSZFjXXXTaVXa_!!41587672.jpg

2) newer hardware revision is straight ended for 3.5mm jack instead of angled, there are also no labels on the cable
O1CN0126Xp5MTJlqTkhBE_!!41587672.jpg

The seller gave an example of fake:
"Many people kept asking me whether this is real or not, I said no point explaining, once you know how to check the serial number, then you won't get cheated."
TB2MLyBuMaTBuNjSszfXXXgfpXa_!!41587672.jpg

Last sentence : "This is rubbish."

Two questions arise from this:

1. Is the black version more recent or older than the 2013 white stock? Seems like more recent since the straight jack photo is in black.

2. For the newer hardware refresh, the first AG0501 in the picture has a bent jack but the second AG0501 picture has a straight jack. Does this mean one of them has to be fake? (Probably the straight jack one is fake right)?

Thanks so much for translating! Which taobao forwarding service did you use @aspire5550? Any links would be greatly appreciated :)

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #32,827 of 33,689
Two questions arise from this:

1. Is the black version more recent or older than the 2013 white stock? Seems like more recent since the straight jack photo is in black.

2. For the newer hardware refresh, the first AG0501 in the picture has a bent jack but the second AG0501 picture has a straight jack. Does this mean one of them has to be fake? (Probably the straight jack one is fake right)?

Thanks so much for translating! Which taobao forwarding service did you use @aspire5550? Any links would be greatly appreciated :)

I've always used the "pop the back off the driver and have a look for the super wide tuning paper and 2 extra solder blobs" method. EVERY SINGLE pair of black MH750s I've had have been fake according to that method.

That's not to say they're terrible, they're actually not bad at all. Better than pound shop stuff anyway. Perhaps the method isn't as foolproof as it's reckoned.

HOWEVER, saying that, for the money I'd still go with KZ EDX over MH750/5 any time these days. With tip rolling and cable swap it's at least as good as the MH, and you know you aren't buying a fake.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #32,828 of 33,689
FiiO FA9 is going to be king in the ~500 USD IEMs if you love a natural, smoother, warmer sound. Not only that, but you can flavor it using the switches at the back, and for an IEM that's made by FiiO, I actually went ahead and compared it directly to flagships. You guys deserve the best when you're paying this much, so I help my article helps you figure out whether FA9, the all-BA flagship from FiiO is going to be your next purchase or not!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/01/paradigm-shift-complete-fiio-fa9-earphones-review.html

1609930206409.png

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #32,829 of 33,689
oc1Omaa.jpeg

(meme for illustration purposes)

HOLY SHEEEET! Talk about a generous discount!!!

Been eyeing the Blessing 2 for these past few days for any price drops or huge discounts from the typical (but fluctuating) CAD $415. Honestly did not expect anything huge, until today when I randomly checked again and found one particular seller offering a hefty $45 off $389 coupon. And if that wasn't generous enough, I also got 10% off via AliExpress coins. So in total from CAD $415 to CAD $338. That's a steal in my book.

I mean... I was thinking about buying the Mangird Tea for $365 CAD (and that's already with 5% off), but I guess my decision has been made already! Blessing 2 it is! :smile:

P.S. Link to listing

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #32,831 of 33,689
Jan 10, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #32,834 of 33,689
Just saw this from their FB page.

Caption says:

"Tomorrow, NF Audio 4 BA interchangeable crossover IEM "NE4 Evolution" engineering machine will be unveiled soon. This is a IEM with unlimited sound, so stay tuned."

FB_IMG_1610115874215.jpg
Looks like a poster for some upcoming movie :L3000: The Star Track XX?

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #32,835 of 33,689
Just saw this from their FB page.

Caption says:

"Tomorrow, NF Audio 4 BA interchangeable crossover IEM "NE4 Evolution" engineering machine will be unveiled soon. This is a IEM with unlimited sound, so stay tuned."

I hope it can sound like every KZ model including "future ones" so we no longer have to buy another iem from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back