Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #16,996 of 33,689
Guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. My ears are different (sports/cauliflower ear type of thing) and I struggle to get a fit. So, to illustrate, the Apple ear bud will not fit in my left ear (and nor will 95% of ear buds, and nearly all shells) Typically I have gone for the Etymotic style of bullet IEM as they at least been wearable. I have a pair of B&W Wireless P7's for home use, but I need something for the commute to be driven by a smart-phone. So, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that can be used wired or in wireless mode (removable cable with an upgradeable BT module) and that I can use in the gym to listen to podcast primarily. I'd prefer some sound isolation to keep the world at bay on the train.

In short:
1) Removable cable
2) Bullet style iEM (there may be a better descriptive term), or IEM with small housing.
2) Sweat resistant would be a plus but not critical
3) A little warmth to the sound

Would love to hear if anyone has any luck with BT modules as well.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #16,997 of 33,689
Guys, I'm looking for a recommendation. My ears are different (sports/cauliflower ear type of thing) and I struggle to get a fit. So, to illustrate, the Apple ear bud will not fit in my left ear (and nor will 95% of ear buds, and nearly all shells) Typically I have gone for the Etymotic style of bullet IEM as they at least been wearable. I have a pair of B&W Wireless P7's for home use, but I need something for the commute to be driven by a smart-phone. So, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that can be used wired or in wireless mode (removable cable with an upgradeable BT module) and that I can use in the gym to listen to podcast primarily. I'd prefer some sound isolation to keep the world at bay on the train.

In short:
1) Removable cable
2) Bullet style iEM (there may be a better descriptive term), or IEM with small housing.

Thanks!

You ever considered having custom IEMs made? It would fit your ears 100% perfectly, with all-day comfort, and have whatever connectors you want (MMCX, 0.78mm 2-pin, etc). And most of the CIEM shells are totally sealed (or you can choose one that is), so they’re sweat proof as well.

Since you have a unique anatomical issue, and 95% of gear doesn’t fit you, I would say it would be the smartest audiophile money you’ll ever spend hands down. You’ll be able to use it for many, many more years (possibly even decades).

Seriously, if you add up all of the $35 here and $50 there you’ll spend farting around with universal IEMs that fit poorly and die every 3-6 months, you’ll be at or near a budget CIEM.

When I 1st got into this hobby, I thought it was ludicrous to spend the $ on a CIEM. But if I was to add up all the $ I’ve spent in the last couple of years on low and mid-range ChiFi, I could have bought 3-4 CIEMs and been happier in the long run. Back then a few more experienced people tried to give me the same advice I’m giving you now, and I chose to ignore it. And I don’t have difficulty wearing any IEM like you do! If I did, I would get some CIEMs without even batting an eye. I urge you to at least give it some serious thought; even if you have to save up for a year before pulling the trigger.

You can get them for as little as a few hundred dollars to as much as thousands.

Ask @Wiljen if he feels his new Eartech CEIMs were a worthwhile long-term investment (especially if he was in your situation).

Here’s the whole process and more info if you want to learn about it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-a-custom-in-ear-monitor-is-made-photo-journal.885128/

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #16,998 of 33,689

In short:
1) Removable cable

Thanks!

Mee audio M6 pro.
These will fit your bill perfectly
And cheap too.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #16,999 of 33,689
Well the Betron BS10 are here, been listening the afternoon
Although unlike my DNZ500 unfortunately I have to say either I have a dud pair or these are terrible.

After seeing the rather large box they came in I was quite excited, very well presented.

Firstly for my ears they are uncomfortable after a short while as the button part of the housing is quite sharp to my ears, and is quite painful. So I tried some Sony hybrid tips which worked better but not by much
The part where the tip goes is not round but a weird and oval shape, so I struggled to get the tips on. But after them flying off a few times across the room i managed to get them on finally, but comfort isn't that good especially for long periods.

As for the build quality I found them very cheap, (which obviously they are) the cable whilst feeling nice is incredibly flimsy and so extra care is needed, especially when putting them away.

Anyway with that aside I was looking forward to the sound after the great reviews.
Sadly though I'm not hearing that at all.
The bass is really muddy and way too boomy, even at low volume they make my head hurt.
As for mids and treble I'm really struggling to hear them at all, There's virtually no clarity whatsoever.

Incidentally I have a really old pair of Sony MDR EX 082 which came with my S series Walkman. And the BS10 resemble these in both design and sound, except the Sony have way more clarity and are much less boomy with a nice mid and treble.
Considering these are years old and were bundled with the Walkman I'm quite disappointed that these Betron are so poor. Especially after the wonderful sound I get from my DNZ500's
I'll give them a chance for sure but at the moment sadly for me they are a bit of a let down.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #17,000 of 33,689
Although unlike my DNZ500 unfortunately I have to say either I have a dud pair or these are terrible.

After seeing the rather large box they came in I was quite excited, very well presented.
Firstly for my ears they are uncomfortable after a short while as the button part of the housing is quite sharp to my ears, and is quire painful. So I tried some Sony hybrid tips which worked better but not by much
The part where the tip goes is not round but a weird and oval shape, so I struggled to get the tips on. But after them flying off a few times i managed finally, but foreven comfort isn't that good especially for long periods
As for the build quality I found them very flimsy, the cable whilst feeling nice is incredibly flimsy and so extra care is needed.

Anyway with that aside I was looking forward to the sound after the great reviews.
The bass is really muddy and way too boomy, even at low volume they make my head hurt.
As for mids and treble I'm really struggling to hear them at all, There's virtually no clarity whatsoever.

Incidentally I have a really old pair of Sony MDR EX 082 which came with my S series Walkman. And the BS10 resemble these in both design and sound, except the Sony have way more clarity and are much less boomy with a nice mid and treble.
Considering these are years old and were bundled with the Walkman I'm quite disappointed that these Betron are so poor. Especially after the wonderful sound I get from my DNZ500's
Sadly for me so far the BS10 are a big let down

That sucks buddy. I have 2 sets and they are both great.

As far as the fit, maybe try some more tips (longer)? I settled on dual flange tips, which solved any fit issues with the stock tips.

Regarding the build, they seemed appropriate for the price. An aluminum rear half and a plastic front half. Sure, no ZS6, but nothing like a chincy dollar store earphone.

For the sound, they are nothing like what you describe. Definitely not the dark muddy mess you’re taking about. Did you check the phase on yours?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #17,001 of 33,689

Firstly for my ears they are uncomfortable after a short while as the button part of the housing is quite sharp to my ears, and is quite painful. So I tried some Sony hybrid tips which worked better but not by much
The part where the tip goes is not round but a weird and oval shape, so I struggled to get the tips on. But after them flying off a few times across the room i managed to get them on finally, but comfort isn't that good especially for long periods.

As for the build quality I found them very cheap, (which obviously they are) the cable whilst feeling nice is incredibly flimsy and so extra care is needed, especially when putting them away.

I'll give them a chance for sure but at the moment sadly for me they are a bit of a let down.

Maybe they just don't fit you right. I just used the stock tips and made no attempt to get a seal. They just sit in there without putting any pressure. The body of the iem sits in my ear kind of like a bud would sit. I think if I had an actual seal they might be muddy.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #17,002 of 33,689
Maybe they just don't fit you right. I just used the stock tips and made no attempt to get a seal. They just sit in there without putting any pressure. The body of the iem sits in my ear kind of like a bud would sit. I think if I had an actual seal they might be muddy.

Mine seal like a normal IEM, and I have no muddiness. They have a nice smooth and airy sound, good clarity, and nice tight punchy bass.

I think I know what the problem is though. I’m using long tips, so the housing is spaced out from my ear. With shorter tips, or a smaller ear/shallower fit, the front vent would be covered up. This would probably lead to muddy bass.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #17,003 of 33,689
Mine seal like a normal IEM, and I have no muddiness. They have a nice smooth and airy sound, good clarity, and nice tight punchy bass.

That is how mine sound. Maybe we are talking about two different things when referring to a seal. To me a seal is what I get when the tip kind of vacuums itself to my ear canal so that when I take it out the edges of the tip kind of snap out with a little sound. Not sure how to say it. Kind of like the edges flip back a bit on their way out? These just slide in and out without that feeling. I feel like the seal is partly made by the large body of the BS10 sitting flush in my ear. If I press on it the sound does not change like it would with some buds that are a little big for me like a Monk.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #17,004 of 33,689

Yeah I couldn't really seal them well either so just popped them in.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #17,005 of 33,689
That is how mine sound. Maybe we are talking about two different things when referring to a seal. To me a seal is what I get when the tip kind of vacuums itself to my ear canal so that when I take it out the edges of the tip kind of snap out with a little sound. Not sure how to say it. Kind of like the edges flip back a bit on their way out? These just slide in and out without that feeling. I feel like the seal is partly made by the large body of the BS10 sitting flush in my ear. If I press on it the sound does not change like it would with some buds that are a little big for me like a Monk.

Definitely no vacuum seal with these.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #17,006 of 33,689
Yeah I couldn't really seal them well either so just popped them in.

Personally I think the oval type nozzle is meant to be done that way. Hard to believe that you actually have a defective pair though especially if both sides sound the same. Maybe they just aren't for you. I did burn mine in but I don't think anything actually changed.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #17,007 of 33,689
Mee audio M6 pro.
These will fit your bill perfectly
And cheap too.

Not exactly bullet style design though :wink:

Edit: It may be hard to find a straight barrel sweat resistant offering though as most sport IEM's are over the ears wearing style.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #17,008 of 33,689

I think I know what the problem is though. I’m using long tips, so the housing is spaced out from my ear. With shorter tips, or a smaller ear/shallower fit, the front vent would be covered up. This would probably lead to muddy bass.

That would definitely make sense
Although I tried some double flange but still got very muddy and boomy sound.
Definitely not a good seal either. And I'm not blocking the vents.
So either they've changed the design or this particular pair are duds

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #17,009 of 33,689
That would definitely make sense
Although I tried some double flange but still got very muddy and boomy sound.
Definitely not a good seal either. And I'm not blocking the vents.
So either they've changed the design or this particular pair are duds

Probably not worth struggling with. Just return them as defective. Nice as they are for some of us, there are many other choices out there and I bet you have a few that you like:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back