Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #14,493 of 33,689
Yes, I am a soundstage addict myself, instrument separation and good soundstage are essential for enjoying music.

same, I will however listen to closed phones if they can still separate sounds nicely. When instruments and Stereo separation has nice tight isolation it's like the least I could hope for when testing a cheaper phone. most, surprisingly can do this, I remember a time when cheaper earphones were, you just ran the other way if you could help it, there was no fidelity in the sound, it was a mashed sound through a pipe and there was that feeling like you're ear was getting an infection but it was because the sound was so bad., bad earphones affect my mood now.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #14,494 of 33,689
same, I will however listen to closed phones if they can still separate sounds nicely. When instruments and Stereo separation has nice tight isolation it's like the least I could hope for when testing a cheaper phone. most, surprisingly can do this, I remember a time when cheaper earphones were, you just ran the other way if you could help it, there was no fidelity in the sound, it was a mashed sound through a pipe and there was that feeling like you're ear was getting an infection but it was because the sound was so bad., bad earphones affect my mood now.

Welp, we've come a far way now, we have a lot of high quality closed back headphones and even IEMs now. Ultraosne tends to have a technology of their own for soundstage for closed back headphones. I even heard a 100$ headphone that amazed me recently

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #14,495 of 33,689
Silver most definitely oxidizes. Ask anyone who has solid silver or silver plated items (flatware, wedding gifts such as teapots and serving trays, old native american Indian jewelry, silver coins etc).

Any silver that does not oxidize has been treated in some way to resist this - coated with varnish, plated with an additional metal on top of the silver, or silver mixed with special base alloys (called 'tarnish-resistant silver' in the jewelry business), etc).

The thing I'm not sure of it why it oxidizes to green. Silver oxidizes to black.

Right. That was kind of my point. Silver oxidizes to grey/black; copper oxidizes to green (verdigris). Old speaker wire doesn't turn green nearly as fast as these plated cables. Not sure why oxygen is attacking these so rapidly.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #14,496 of 33,689
Silver most definitely oxidizes. Ask anyone who has solid silver or silver plated items (flatware, wedding gifts such as teapots and serving trays, old native american Indian jewelry, silver coins etc).

Any silver that does not oxidize has been treated in some way to resist this - coated with varnish, plated with an additional metal on top of the silver, or silver mixed with special base alloys (called 'tarnish-resistant silver' in the jewelry business), etc).

The thing I'm not sure of it why it oxidizes to green. Silver oxidizes to black.

Silver doesn't oxidize, it does "sulfidize" through the action of traces of hydrogen sulfide in the air, the black patina on silverware is always silver sulfide. :wink:

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #14,497 of 33,689
Welp, we've come a far way now, we have a lot of high quality closed back headphones and even IEMs now. I even heard a 100$ headphone that amazed me recently

Um, which one is that??:L3000:

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #14,498 of 33,689
Copper oxidises to green? I am guessing it must be a silver copper mix? Just speculating...

Yes, that's why the statue of liberty is green.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #14,499 of 33,689
Um, which one is that??:L3000:

I always have a hard time telling its name because the company made it so .,... hard to remember its name, and it is only available in USA, so I didn't want to mention it in this thread.

Lemme get a photo and a link because the name is Mzero as far as my mind go.

https://www.mo-electronics.com/

DVsi2baWkAA_EvV.jpg:large

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #14,500 of 33,689
Right. That was kind of my point. Silver oxidizes to grey/black; copper oxidizes to green (verdigris). Old speaker wire doesn't turn green nearly as fast as these plated cables. Not sure why oxygen is attacking these so rapidly.

The green patina is likely hydrated cooper carbonate, cooper oxide is either black (cupric) or red (cuprous). This said the speed of attack is likely due to a combination of galvanic effect due to different electrical potentials of differents metals in contact together (cable, coating and solder) and the presence of some moisture (with dissolved CO2 as carbonic acid). Preventing air/moisture from getting in is the obvious fix here IMO, perhaps by sealing properly cable ends with some silicon.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #14,501 of 33,689
My most used iems at the moment are TinAudio T2, Rythmos Super SD7, ZhiYin Z5000 and **** XBA 6in1

Tin Audio T2 is in my wishlist. Which do you prefer between the T2 and Z5000?

Got the XBA 6in1. While I like its instrument separation and clarity, I feel its is prone to sibilance in female vocals and that 5k bump causes listening fatigue. Also, the sub-bass is inconsistent - great on some tracks and hardly present on others. The quality of the tips in box were great, but they don't suit the 6in1 which has a thin nozzle and the bore width of the tips are larger.

BTW, I got them with the silver plated cable. Maybe need to get a normal copper cable to see, if there is a difference in the treble

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #14,503 of 33,689
A way I found that helps keeps headphones from greening prematurely is throwing a silica gel dessicant bead packet together with the iem and keeping it in a nice case or container when not in use.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #14,504 of 33,689
A way I found that helps keeps headphones from greening prematurely is throwing a silica gel dessicant bead packet together with the iem and keeping it in a nice case or container when not in use.

I do this for all equipment when possible, it is essential to keep water and humidity away from headphones / IEMs / DAPs / electronics in general

Users who are viewing this thread

Back