Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #14,446 of 33,689
The ZST is so uncomfortable I'd have a hard time keeping it in my ears long enough.

How comes? They don't look the part (?)

I do have quite a few ultra-comfy Chinese IEMs on my table, and all of them are lovely, items like Astrotec AM850, FiiO F9Pro, iBasso IT01, etc. I think I can recommend most of what I heard for their comfort.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #14,448 of 33,689
The ZST uses a pretty common shell. Same one as the TFZ Series 2, 4, My Love II, and King (mold lines are identical), among others. If you've got small outer ears or a protrusion that prevents them from nestling in, I can see them not fitting well and/or causing hotspots.

I just checked and I notice some small, but key differences. Also the nozzle looks different too.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #14,449 of 33,689
I just checked and I notice some small, but key differences. Also the nozzle looks different too.

I have them all. Can't find the ED12 or that would be in there too.

20180205_205607.jpg

The base ergonomics are identical. Same nozzle length and flare at the tip, same curves where the housing tapers into the nozzle, same length and depth of the housing. The mesh is mounted differently, sure. The receptacle for the 2-pin connectors are as well; recessed on the KZs, protruding on the TFZs. And of course the face plates differ between models. Weight is different as well due to changes in materials and drivers. The base ergonomics and main, ear-facing half of the shells are identical though. Even with the move to an all metal shell on the King Pro dimensions remain nigh identical.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #14,450 of 33,689

The base ergonomics are identical. Same nozzle length and flare at the tip, same curves where the housing tapers into the nozzle, same length and depth of the housing. The mesh is mounted differently, sure. The receptacle for the 2-pin connectors are as well; recessed on the KZs, protruding on the TFZs. And of course the face plates differ between models. Weight is different as well due to changes in materials and drivers. The base ergonomics and main, ear-facing half of the shells are identical though. Even with the move to an all metal shell on the King Pro dimensions remain nigh identical.

A couple points:
- There is a small difference in angle depth on the ZST's shells for the outwards flange. This small change is primarily what affects my ears, since it makes the difference between too much pressure and not too much pressure
- My ZST also looks like it has a slightly different shell, physically
- My ZST and TFZ IEMs have different nozzle angles

They are super similar, I'll give you that. But for people with ears like mine some very subtle differences make or break the fit. I wasn't a big fan of the TFZ fit either, I gave it just "passable" results. Maybe it's my ear anatomy, but I still find that my impressions match my friends' and family's pretty well with a couple exceptions.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #14,451 of 33,689
A couple points:
- There is a small difference in angle depth on the ZST's shells for the outwards flange. This small change is primarily what affects my ears, since it makes the difference between too much pressure and not too much pressure
- My ZST also looks like it has a slightly different shell, physically
- My ZST and TFZ IEMs have different nozzle angles

They are super similar, I'll give you that. But for people with ears like mine some very subtle differences make or break the fit. I wasn't a big fan of the TFZ fit either, I gave it just "passable" results. Maybe it's my ear anatomy, but I still find that my impressions match my friends' and family's pretty well with a couple exceptions.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on there being differences in shape between the shells. Not going to dispute ear anatomy having an effect on comfort.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #14,453 of 33,689
Hey guys,
I've been away for a while. Has the zs5 been superseeded in the sub 100$ range?

While not from China, have you heard about Final E2000 and Final E3000 IEMs?

Those might be good contenders for the best bellow 100$ price point, especially if you take care of them. The trick is, they are somewhat open, and they look more fragile than other IEMs in this price area, but THAT SOUND! You have to hear them to believe.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #14,454 of 33,689

Which model is the one in the middle with the cool shell?

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #14,455 of 33,689
HI all,

I'm looking for either on-ear or over-ear headphones for monitoring use, around $50 USD. Any recommendations?

Grayson

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #14,457 of 33,689
Feb 6, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #14,459 of 33,689
^Needs to beat up the RT-1 which is fine but BGVP need to raise the bar for that $55 price :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #14,460 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back