Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #13,291 of 33,689
IMG_20171112_225057.jpg
Had the Ostry KC09 for a few days now. It's a warm sounding iem. Mid bass is a bit more than what I like but not basshead levels. Punch and impact is controlled and tight. Sub bass extension is deep enough, but not as deep as the ch9t. Mids are lush, forward and natural. Highs are smooth but well extended, has sufficient air and sparkle. The Ch9T is wider in stage, but the KC09 images and separates better.

IMG_20171114_151122.jpg
This is the LEAR Turbo, a double dynamic iem. Honestly, I don't like it. It's dark sounding, but retains a fair amount of details. Paired with EA Ares II balanced to X7ii.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #13,292 of 33,689
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #13,293 of 33,689
Those Dunu's do look nice........ must resist.......

The carbon nanotubes are calling your name...*panda buy me - you know you want to* haha

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #13,294 of 33,689
Am not sure about the iPhone 6S+'s output impedance (I think it's also a bit further away from 0 Ohms than some of the previous iPhone generations), but the E5's is rated at 2.2 Ohms. This already brings the upper treble down by quite a bit and makes it less bright, splashy and metallic, and the comply foam tips should contribute even more to this effect. Would you agree that the top-end sounds rather smooth and inoffensive? (Driving the T.F 10 from a source with close to 0 Ohm output impedance and avoiding foam tips, it sounds quite splashy, bright and somewhat metallic in the highs.)

Based on that, the Audio Technica could indeed be a match, at least in the mids and highs, if you could let go a few dB of bass impact (the Audio Technica is somewhat less forward in the lows) and don't mind a slightly softer bass delivery. If you don't want to miss the T.F 10's bass, the ATH-IM03 (or whatever its newer version/successor is) would be a match.

I went and listened to the ls200 and ls300 (replacements of the no longer available IM02 and IM03)

The ls300 had way too much bass for my taste and the ls200 actually hurt my ears with some songs with higher tones. This was with the original included rubber tips. Otherwise the fit and sound of the ls200 was really nice.

I am going to try out the ath-e70 next week, and the Magaosi K3 Pro just cleared customs so I’ll see how that sounds soon.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #13,295 of 33,689

Had the Ostry KC09 for a few days now. It's a warm sounding iem. Mid bass is a bit more than what I like but not basshead levels. Punch and impact is controlled and tight. Sub bass extension is deep enough, but not as deep as the ch9t. Mids are lush, forward and natural. Highs are smooth but well extended, has sufficient air and sparkle. The Ch9T is wider in stage, but the KC09 images and separates better.

Great review, its rare to read any KC09 reviews and I appreciate it!
Any chance you happen to own the KC06A to give a comparison?

Since both Ch9T and KC09 are the same price which is the winner?

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #13,296 of 33,689
On a side note, I’ve got a couple groups of friends doing Secret Santa with a $30 limit. Got any ideas on what I should put on my list? So far I’ve got HSLX 808 on there and KZ upgraded cable. Keep in mind these have to be from Amazon or something easily accessible from the US. Doesn’t have to be audio related.

30 cheap a$$ earbuds from the dollar store? :grinning:

Or a nice coffee mug with some nice ground coffee or full beans and some candy.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #13,298 of 33,689
Great review, its rare to read any KC09 reviews and I appreciate it!
Any chance you happen to own the KC06A to give a comparison?

Since both Ch9T and KC09 are the same price which is the winner?

Hmm. I prefer the KC09 for its tonality and timbre, more forward mids, and more controlled bass. The CH9T is slightly brighter though with its ushape signature.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #13,299 of 33,689
How about imaging and warmth/bass quantity?

Were you able to try their new Kaleido IEM as well?
Imaging is slightly above average for the price, and the bass quantity is definitely around basshead levels "for me". That's why I called it dark because it's really elevated relative to its mids and treble.

Nope, sorry haven't tried that yet.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #13,301 of 33,689
Imaging is slightly above average for the price, and the bass quantity is definitely around basshead levels "for me". That's why I called it dark because it's really elevated relative to its mids and treble.

Thanks. Would you say it's about as bassy as your Piston v3 but perhaps with a fuller midbass and lower root/fundamental range?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #13,302 of 33,689
Thanks. Would you say it's about as bassy as your Piston v3 but perhaps with a fuller midbass and lower root/fundamental range?
I've long forgotten my original piston v3 since I modded mine. I can say that it hits harder than LZa4 Red Back, with more rumble. I can really feel the drum kicks in RATM's Take the power back.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #13,303 of 33,689
Hey head-fi, I need some help with picking out the perfect $10-20 Chi-fi IEM, here is my current list:
  • Boarseman CX98
  • Boarseman KR25D
  • Swing IE800
  • EINSEAR T2
  • VJJB K4S
Looking for something that has a bright signature but never sibilant nor harsh, preferably with a good and deep sub-bass as well. In other words, which IEM listed here sounds the most high definition? Currently the KR25D and Swing have my attention mostly cause they're the least priciest of the bunch. BTW I'm looking for an upgrade to my KZ ED9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back