Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #10,172 of 33,689
BossHifi B4..

What the hell?! TheB3 version is at the normal price, but the B4(?) version which looks somewhat different, with a grill at the back costs 8€ ?

This can't be right. A fake version?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...FI-Ebony-Moving-Iron-Coil-In/32810032818.html

I've seen that before and almost got sucked into buying it myself. It's a single driver design (unlike the Hybrid B3), similar in idea to the single driver version of the urbanfun that rides on the coat tails of it's hybrid sibling. Whether it's genuine BossHifi is unknown, but you'll see that item appear as a purchase option on the BossHifi product page of a number of seller's.

I personally wouldn't chance it though (or at least I wouldn't chance it assuming it's a B3 or some better-than-B3 earphone).

There IS a new upgraded version of the B3 though - the B3S. I've been waiting for someone to get it and post impressions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...Drive-Wood-Earphone-DIY-HIFI/32736017125.html

Screenshot 2017-07-21 at 11.55.08 AM.png

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #10,173 of 33,689
Yes, I've seen that the new B3s is absolutely legitimate.
I'm really puzzled by the strange cheap B3 or 'B4' version. I only found that one on that specific store (link above).

Where did you get the info that it's a single driver? Can't find it anywhere...

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #10,174 of 33,689
Yes, I've seen that the new B3s is absolutely legitimate.
I'm really puzzled by the strange cheap B3 or 'B4' version. I only found that one on that specific store (link above).

Where did you get the info that it's a single driver? Can't find it anywhere...

Man, I just searched and I can't find anyone selling that cheapo version (the B4). Just a few weeks ago (when I was thinking of ordering the B3), at least half of the B3 product pages offered that cheap model. Some of them indeed listed it as a single driver. If I run across it again I'll update this post.

Update: I had saved at least 1 of the listings in my favorite list, and I just checked and it's now listed as unavailable:

Screenshot 2017-07-21 at 12.32.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #10,177 of 33,689
Well, this is the strange and addictive world of Chifi...

I almost bought that cheap version... Very tempting but I have this voice inside my head telling me it's obliviously a fake version and therefore It'll be wasted money...

Sometimes you gotta take the chance. That's how a lot of gems have been found here. And when you get a dud, the feedback helps out others in the HF community avoid the same pitfall.

I personally passed on that particular IEM because I got the same foreboding feeling as you. Also I have dozens of low end IEMs, plus I have other more pressing expenses at the moment.

On a related note, if you are looking for a diamond in the rough, the MoreBlue DM8 (Vidal found) is a ridiculously good value for $3:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...g-Headset-Handsfree-With-Mic/32667957633.html

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #10,179 of 33,689
Hello guys,

I'm using my xiaomi piston 2, I really like their type of sound, a lot of bass, it's fun to listen them, but I would like to try some new.Are there any budget earphones, which are a little bit similar to them, but have in some way better sound?
It seems to me, that Boarseman KR25D could be a good choice, what do you think?
I listen mostly rock and rap.

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #10,180 of 33,689
Hello guys,

I'm using my xiaomi piston 2, I really like their type of sound, a lot of bass, it's fun to listen them, but I would like to try some new.Are there any budget earphones, which are a little bit similar to them, but have in some way better sound?

KZ ZS5
KZ ZST
Xiaomi Pro HD

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #10,181 of 33,689
KZ ZS5
KZ ZST
Xiaomi Pro HD

Could you please do a brief comparison between the Xiaomi 2.0 and the ZS5? I've owned the Xiaomi for years but I've never heard the ZS5 and nothing I've read about it has made me believe that they're similar sounding to the Xiaomi so your answer got me curious, thanks.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #10,182 of 33,689
Two findings of today...
1. Ordered at Ebay FLC8s and Pai Audio MR3 from an unknown Chinese dealer. Communication started and unveiled I am dealing with Penon. Received both within only one week. Perfect trade in the whole with Penon. Highly recommended.
2. Should have pulled the trigger much earlier on the FLC8s and saved much money which I spend for tons of budget
IEMs. FLC8s are great Earphones!

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,183 of 33,689
Hello guys,

I really like the KR25D but they're more mid forward in terms of sound - v.different from your description of the Piston 2.0. I haven't heard the 2.0 but I have heard the later Pistons, based on a comparative sound to them and similar price to the KR25Ds I'd suggest the LZ Z03A (cheapest on Gearbest). However, I think based on the bass comment though, something like the Einsear T2 might be a good purchase.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #10,184 of 33,689
Could you please do a brief comparison between the Xiaomi 2.0 and the ZS5? I've owned the Xiaomi for years but I've never heard the ZS5 and nothing I've read about it has made me believe that they're similar sounding to the Xiaomi so your answer got me curious, thanks.

OP asked for something a "little bit similar to them, but better sound in some way".

The Piston 2 is v-shaped and warm, but I felt like it had boomy enhanced bass. The soundstage was good (from the large vent on the back). Clarity and imaging weren't bad either. The treble was bright and sparkly, and had a smoothness that was enjoyable to listen to.

The reason I mentioned the ones I did, is I think they bring to the table the basic essence of what the OP enjoys about the Piston 2, but with some enhanced property/properties.

Xiaomi Pro HD:
I think the Pro HD is great for the genres the OP listed due to its U-shape. Nice clear mids, deep punchy bass, and bright sparkly treble with lots of detail. The soundstage of the Piston 2 edges out the Pro HD though. The OP will feel right at home with the typical excellent Xiaomi build quality, fit, & finish. And if the OP wants even more sub-bass/bass, the front vent can be closed off with tape of glue. With that modification done, I think it outshines the Piston 2 from an overall perspective.

ZST: While the ZST doesn't have enhanced bass, but there's plenty of sub-bass and bass that should please the OP (although not as much as the Piston 2). The ZST has better clarity than the Piston 2, and the detail is every bit as good. Like the Pro HD, the soundstage isn't as good as the Piston 2. The ZST definitely has brighter treble compared to the Piston 2. Rock and Rap sound great on the ZST.

ZS5: Again, another U-shaped sound which I like with the genres the OP listed. The clarity, soundstage, and imaging of the ZS5 is superior to the Piston 2. While the treble is the brightest of the bunch, it pairs well with the overall sound and isn't peaky or piercing. The bass and sub-bass is plenty for Rock and Rap, and like the Pro HD if the OP wants a significant bump in bass the front vent can be closed off with tape or glue (that's what I did to mine). With that modification done, the ZS5 is like the Piston 2 on steroids.

While I didn't listen to the Piston 2 for years like you, I did spend about 3 weeks with them when I was deciding between them and the Xiaomi Pro HD. I definitely enjoyed them, and Xiaomi makes great IEMs. But ultimately I liked the Pro HD better.

I should also point out that I used silicone tips on all the above. No foams.

Obviously these are my opinions. You may agree, you may disagree. It's your prerogative.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #10,185 of 33,689
@TwinACStacks I've finally pulled the trigger on the akg n40 yay good bye China hello Austria. Can't wait to receive them.

P..s if anyone knows how to open the musicmaker tk12 housing, i would much appreciate instruction. The wire entering the housing has become loose and stopped working in one ear, it needs a re-attachment aaahhhh. Sending them back to china for repair is tooooo much hassle and unecessary expense. I hope someone can help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back