Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9,932 of 33,689
Say, do Chinese makers try to mimic frequency responses of popular, expensive brands, like they do with the designs? I.e. I'd like to find something that mimics Shure's SE series - flat till 1kHz, then drops, peaks again at 10kHz and 15kHz. Urbanfun Hybrid seems closest I've seen (and they sounded great too), but still not a big enough drop after 1kHz, which means everything after is overemphasized by Shure standards.

Also, what other types of frequency responses are there from summit-fi? Are they much different from Shure's?

You can obviously just EQ if you have something close but not perfect.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #9,937 of 33,689
What is the best iem for clarity, resolution and accurate soundstage? I will use it balanced on the Aune m1s exclusively.

There's nothing but positive reviews from users regarding the FiiO F5, and there is a balanced cable available (not sure if the balanced cable is included in the package, is an optional FiiO OEM upgrade, or if it's 3rd party). But I recommend you checking out the F5 thread for impressions and info: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fiio-f5-aerospace-titanium-diaphragm-in-ear-monitor.845583/

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #9,939 of 33,689
There's nothing but positive reviews from users regarding the FiiO F5, and there is a balanced cable available (not sure if the balanced cable is included in the package, is an optional FiiO OEM upgrade, or if it's 3rd party). But I recommend you checking out the F5 thread for impressions and info: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fiio-f5-aerospace-titanium-diaphragm-in-ear-monitor.845583/

Could you please share some thoughts about how the FiiO F5 perorms in comparison to some other well regarded $200 offerings like the LZ A4 for example.

I really hope that they don't use that terrible balanced cables that they been sell separately for the last couple of years, its gotta be the worst cable I've ever used.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #9,940 of 33,689
So two out of my three ciems that I ordered just arrived! They are the KZ ED9s and the Plextone 41M, while the Remax RM-565i is still on its way (darn you gearbest).

At first listen, the ED9 and the 41M are two polar opposites. The ED9 has a cool, airy and silky sound signature to it due to its recessed lows, neutral mids, and extra wide treble extension; kinda reminiscent to the sound signature of the Sony MH1Cs. The 41M on the other hand is a sub-bass monster that has forward mids, crisp treble with less definition than the ED9s, and has a less spacious soundstage than the ED9s.

So in summary:
  • KZ ED9 is cool, relaxed, airy, and spacious sounding.
  • Plextone 41M is warm, bassy, full, and more intimate sounding.
Both are very nice but if I had to pick one for my daily driver it's the ED9s, I just generally prefer a more relaxed and airy sound. The 41Ms are for special occasions when I want a bit of "fun".

BTW I just spent my entire last night making a cool unboxing video in stop motion so feel free to check it out! :grin:

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #9,941 of 33,689
Could you please share some thoughts about how the FiiO F5 perorms in comparison to some other well regarded $200 offerings like the LZ A4 for example.

I really hope that they don't use that terrible balanced cables that they been sell separately for the last couple of years, its gotta be the worst cable I've ever used.

I don't own either, so I can't directly answer that question. But I'm almost positive I've seen the 2 compared in the F5 thread I posted. If not, you can ask there and I know someone who has both will respond.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #9,942 of 33,689
For around $200 you aren't going to do any better than the Pai audios Chris mentioned, the Pinnacle P1 or the less- audiophile oriented but more versatile LZ A4. For a little less I can suggest the Magaosi K3 as well.

All are top notch performers at their price.

JMHO

TWIN

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #9,943 of 33,689
Same here. I liked the Xiaomi Pro HD with port mod more.

Bro, what is the port mod you talk about?
Im curious to know any mod for my X HD Pro if it can give more air and clarity for example....

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #9,945 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back