Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #5,551 of 33,689
Perhaps temper your descriptions if you've only read about TOTL earphones.

I've read about Aston Martins but I wouldn't be suggesting my MX5 gave a glimpse of what an Aston can offer even if they both have leather interiors and good handling.

The LG were bought from the seller you recommended - average at best, IMO they're no better than Xiaomi Piston Basic which is comparable in price and sound signature.

I'm well aware that it's horses for courses to prove it here's the whathifi review of the M8: -

http://www.whathifi.com/htc/one-m8/review

They said '......and don’t even bother with the included headphones if you want to make the most from your music – we found them to make the sound thin, hard and bright, with a poorly controlled low end to boot.' about the earphones you're praising.

An please note the WhatHiFi guys will have tested a great number of TOTL earphones.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #5,553 of 33,689
Perhaps temper your descriptions if you've only read about TOTL earphones.

I've read about Aston Martins but I wouldn't be suggesting my MX5 gave a glimpse of what an Aston can offer even if they both have leather interiors and good handling.

The LG were bought from the seller you recommended - average at best, IMO they're no better than Xiaomi Piston Basic which is comparable in price and sound signature.

I'm well aware that it's horses for courses to prove it here's the whathifi review of the M8: -

http://www.whathifi.com/htc/one-m8/review

They said '......and don’t even bother with the included headphones if you want to make the most from your music – we found them to make the sound thin, hard and bright, with a poorly controlled low end to boot.' about the earphones you're praising.

An please note the WhatHiFi guys will have tested a great number of TOTL earphones.

Look, I feel they are better than everything else I've got and the qualificatives that come to my mind to describe some aspects of the sound are qualitatives I pretty much read only in TOTL threads. Why shouldn't I say so? Because you say so? Because What-HiFi says they are rubbish?

Frankly I am getting a bit tired by your constant confrontational and patronizing tone.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #5,554 of 33,689
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #5,555 of 33,689

Is there a difference between the HTC One M8 and M7 earphones? Mine (edit: M7) looks identical to the 39H00014-00M listing on Amazon, whereas the one on whathifi has the mic in a different position (edit: same side as the red button)...
Mine has a lot of bass and recessed treble (from 8khz to 10khz). In regards to mids, there's a slight bump around 5khz, and a lot of upper-end earphones I've heard (64Audio house sound, Roxanne, TG!334, UE18pro) actually dips around 5khz. However, I certainly don't think it sounds thin, hard and bright, so perhaps it's different to the M8 earphones, I don't know.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #5,556 of 33,689

Is there a difference between the HTC One M8 and M7 earphones? Mine looks identical to the 39H00014-00M listing on Amazon, whereas the one on whathifi has the mic in a different position...
Mine has a lot of bass and recessed treble (from 8khz to 10khz). In regards to mids, there's a slight bump around 5khz, and a lot of upper-end earphones I've heard (64Audio house sound, Roxanne, TG!334, UE18pro) actually dips around 5khz. However, I certainly don't think it sounds thin, hard and bright, so perhaps it's different to the M8 earphones, I don't know.

Yes they are different.

Cosmetically M7 earpieces backplates have no logo and are made of rubber, mic on opposite side than the button while M8/9 backplates are thicker, are made of metal and have a HTC logo, mic on the same side as button.

Soundwise the M8/9 have much more but I feel better bass once toned down and some boost in the highs that's not enough to render them harsh/fatiguing IMO. I prefer the M8/9.

Fitwise I need a shallow fit with M7 otherwise ears gets congested and sound thins out. None of that with the M8/9, any fit goes.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #5,557 of 33,689
Oh and BTW the What HiFi description is quite accurate if having a poor seal, I think the guy just didn't bother to check them out properly. :rolleyes:

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #5,558 of 33,689
Look, I feel they are better than everything else I've got and the qualificatives that come to my mind to describe some aspects of the sound are qualitatives I pretty much read only in TOTL threads. Why shouldn't I say so? Because you say so? Because What-HiFi says they are rubbish?

Frankly I am getting a bit tired by your constant confrontational and patronizing tone.

I have no problem with you making comparisons against earphones you've actually heard, in fact it's great that someone is actually listening to stuff that's off the beaten track. However, I think making comparisons to stuff you have only read about is irresponsible, other people reading your opinions may make purchasing decisions based upon your hyperbole.

Feel free to block me, if you think my posts are patronising. In the meantime I'll order a pair of the HTC and post my verdict in due course.

I think the guys at WhatHiFi will know enough about earphones to make sure they get a good seal.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5,559 of 33,689
But they are earbuds not IEM's?

Mine came with silicon eartips you insert into your ears, could have sworn that's what the "in ear" part meant. My understanding was earbuds were things like the ones you get with an iPhone. Additionally, it is possible that different markets received different earphones in the packaging since the phones themselves had different internals in some markets.

Either way, I didn't like the way mine fit, and the cable on my included pair was stupidly short too - it was almost impossible to have them in my ears while my phone was in my pocket.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5,560 of 33,689
I have no problem with you making comparisons against earphones you've actually heard, in fact it's great that someone is actually listening to stuff that's off the beaten track. However, I think making comparisons to stuff you have only read about is irresponsible, other people reading your opinions may make purchasing decisions based upon your hyperbole.

Feel free to block me, if you think my posts are patronising. In the meantime I'll order a pair of the HTC and post my verdict in due course.

I think the guys at WhatHiFi will know enough about earphones to make sure they get a good seal.

Maybe I missed a post but I don't think I ever saw him compare his earbuds to any that he didn't own.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #5,561 of 33,689
Maybe I missed a post but I don't think I ever saw him compare his earbuds to any that he didn't own.

Quote:
Whereas I actually haven't listened to any TOTL IEM, I've read about about stuff such as liquid mids about TOTLs and that's something I hear/feel with the HTC for example. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #5,562 of 33,689
Hello guys,
I'm a bit treble sensitive so prefer smooth yet clear treble with good clean bass. Most of my playlist has vocals so yes that's there too. Which earphones would you suggest in the price range of 30-35 dollars?
Please advise!
Thanks.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #5,565 of 33,689

Sound preference is subjective, but some things are objective and measurable. That's why we have reference target curves, impulse response and waterfall graphs, etc. The Quadbeat 3 has been measured by multiple different sources, most of them very reliable and not only does it have on of the closest to reference frequency responses for a single dynamic (if you exclude the bass boost), it also does fairly well on the time domain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back