Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #5,536 of 33,689
Just received my Vivo XE800 and KZ ZST a few days ago. Initial impressions are that the ZSTs are very, very impressive for the price. The XE800s... Not so much.

Theyre as detailed as everyone says, but to my ears the bass is so lacking that it outweighs its strengths. Highs are decent, but unremarkable. And the soundstage doesn't quite match up to the ZSTs either.

Overall, they're not a bad choice for detailed listeners, but I feel the ZSTs are the runaway winner in this price range.

The XE800 is not for everyone. It is somewhat bass light. Fortunately they respond well to a bass boost. Use them with a warm source or EQ them a little,they'll reward you for it. Just don't expect them to become bass monsters.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #5,537 of 33,689
Lol are you serious? Maybe for $10 and under its good. I couldn't stand them with my M8

I know this is going to sound outrageous but it's the first IEM I listen to that gives me, I believe, a glimpse in what a TOTL delivers. The reason for believing this is that besides the significant amount of details and nuances it presents to my ears over my other IEMs is the overall fluidity of the sound it delivers, frankly I lack superlatives to praise it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #5,538 of 33,689
The new version for the HTC 10 is supposedly much better. I've personally never unpackaged any of the HTC headphones.

Do you mean this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-MAX310-Cochlear-Audio-Bass-Earphone-For-HTC-One-E9-X10-M8-MAX-816-E8-802D/32747088100.html

I am massively tempted grabbing it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #5,539 of 33,689
I know this is going to sound outrageous but it's the first IEM I listen to that gives me, I believe, a glimpse in what a TOTL delivers. The reason for believing this is that besides the significant amount of details and nuances it presents to my ears over my other IEMs is the overall fluidity of the sound it delivers, frankly I lack superlatives to praise it.

I understand that feeling. I think that many people on this forum may have forgotten it already though.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #5,541 of 33,689
I understand that feeling. I think that many people on this forum may have forgotten it already though.

Well, I sure like it much more than the Vivo XE800 and Quadbeat 3s which are more "current".

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #5,543 of 33,689
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #5,546 of 33,689

So what you're saying is that there is an earphone that was bundled with a fairly popular phone, that delivers to a sound that is near TOTL to your ears?

I would agree that is a pretty outrageous statement considering how many people will have heard that earphone without also thinking it's something special. The HTC was a very popular phone and I'm pretty sure I'll have listened to those very same earphones. I had a phone on trial for a few weeks whilst I tested some apps on them. I honestly don't recall anything special about them.

I wonder how much that line in bold is having on your opinion, have you heard many +£300 earphones. I haven't so I'd never make a comparison like that. The LG you were raving about last time were a distinct disappointment that wouldn't hold a candle to some £10 earphones in terms of clarity and detail never mind a +£300 pair.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #5,549 of 33,689
Does anyone know if the 'new' ZS3 have any differences? And why they range from $11 to $20 on aliexpress? Which seller would be recommended.

New? As far as I know they're all the same. Price range? Some sellers are overcharging.

My preferred seller isn't on Ali - try Gearbest was around the £7 mark last time I looked

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #5,550 of 33,689
So what you're saying is that there is an earphone that was bundled with a fairly popular phone, that delivers to a sound that is near TOTL to your ears?

I would agree that is a pretty outrageous statement considering how many people will have heard that earphone without also thinking it's something special. The HTC was a very popular phone and I'm pretty sure I'll have listened to those very same earphones. I had a phone on trial for a few weeks whilst I tested some apps on them. I honestly don't recall anything special about them.

I wonder how much that line in bold is having on your opinion, have you heard many +£300 earphones. I haven't so I'd never make a comparison like that. The LG you were raving about last time were a distinct disappointment that wouldn't hold a candle to some £10 earphones in terms of clarity and detail never mind a +£300 pair.

The LG I was "raving about" is the Quadbeat 3. I know for a fact that a number of people here totally disagree with your assessment of it. It's a very good IEM IMO. Maybe you got a fake or a dud?

Whereas I actually haven't listened to any TOTL IEM, I've read about about stuff such as liquid mids about TOTLs and that's something I hear/feel with the HTC for example. As for what you've emboldened in my sentence, it's how I feel the HTC compare to my other IEMs, the best (read most expensive) being the well regarded Fidelio S2. Plus I am not claiming the HTC competes with TOTLs, just that I believe they offer a glimpse in what those deliver.

I bought them on a hunch without particular expectations as I hadn't read anything about them on here. Once I had listened to them for a while and considering how good I think they are I was surprised nobody had "discovered" them on Head-Fi. Looking them up over the broader web sure did yeld a few reviews from people claiming to be audio professionals expressing their amazement at how good those were.

Anyway, as is well known, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back