Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #13,966 of 33,689
Finally, my iBasso IT01 review is published: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/12/ibasso-it01-review-english.html#more

DSC04680-small.JPG

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #13,967 of 33,689
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #13,969 of 33,689
I've owned T2s many years ago, and they broke at the hinge. The plastic is very brittle. I wouldn't buy them again, because for a few dollars more you can get the T3 or T4 (both of which are all metal construction).

However, I have nothing but good things to say about Bluedio in general, and I recommend the T3 (doesn't have microsd card slot), the T3+ (identical to T3 plus a microsd card slot), and the T4.

The T3/T3+ are made of metal (steel), and are ultra heavy duty. I own 3 pairs, with 1 set that was used daily for thousands of hours (by my teenage daughter). They've been dropped, fallen off tables, stepped on, rolled down a flight of steps, fallen out of the car too many times to count, and sat on multiple times. They finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, but instead of junking them I converted them to open-backed standard (wired) headphones. I then bought her another set of T3s, since the 1st pair lasted so long and stood up to so much teenage abuse.

The T3/T3+ last a ridiculously long time between charges (I'm talking like 40+ hours). There's a built-in mic that works great for bluetooth calls and video chats (Skype/Facetime/etc). And the T3+ microsd card feature is great because you can play mp3 on the card as a complete standalone source (with no bluetooth connection whatsoever). You can also use them wired as well as wireless (3.5mm aux cable included). It also folds up nice and compact (a nice suede drawstring carry bag is included, but not a hard case).

I've never had any bluetooth connectivity/dropping/latency issues with my Bluedios, and I've connected to multiple brands and models phones, iPads, iPods, laptops, and PCs. They are very low latency, so you can use them for watching movies and the like. They do not connect to Windows 7 computers (for streaming audio, gaming, movies, video chat etc). But I discovered how to do it, so if you get some Bluedios and need to connect to Windows 7, contact me and I'll let you know what the fix is.

The T4 is basically the same as the T3, but it is significantly lighter because it is made of aluminum instead of steel. There is no microsd card function, but there is an active noise cancelling feature (that doesn't work that great, so don't bother). They have the same long battery life, and the same drivers as the T3 series so they sound the same. They can also be used hard wired as well.

Another nice thing about both the T3 and T4 is that they fit smaller heads such as kids, teenagers, and petite framed adults (in addition to average sized heads like mine). Of course they are adjustable, but some headphones really don't fit smaller heads all that well. The clamping force is just right and not too hard. However, if you or your wife have a gigantic melon head, I don't know how well they would work out.

The sound with bluetooth streaming is very good, and there is very little improvement from using the hard wire. I believe they use bluetooth 4.2. Of course, you'll get good sound from the built-in micro-sd card. The officially-supported size states 16GB or some guff, but I've 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB cards when formatted FAT32! It defaults to playing sd card tracks in album order (ie no shuffle), and you can control the tracks and volume via the integrated control button. One really nice feature about the sd card playback is that it remembers exactly where you left off the next time you use the feature (some DAPs don't even have this feature). I don't remember if it does gapless playback though. I'll have to check and update this post with the answer.

The ONLY downsides are:
  1. The T3 and T3+ are a little bit heavy though, due to it's ridiculously heavy-duty metal construction. They are not so heavy that they are painful or uncomfortable during long listening sessions though. My daughter sometimes literally wears them all day on the weekends and I've had zero complaints.
  2. They are a very heavy v-shaped "Beats" type sound (that seems to be Bluedio's house sound on everything they make - booming baaaaaasssssss). Don't expect super neutral, or Grado-like treble for genres like classical, opera, orchestra, etc. It does have good sounding mids and treble (although the treble is a bit rolled off, but it can be tuned really well via EQ). The bass is an artificially-boosted Beats-style bass that unfortunately suffers from bloat, distortion, and midrange bleeding.
  3. The pads are removable but not replaceable (which you can see why in the driver tape mod link I posted above). They are very nice pads though, and have shown very little wear even after heavy use. I just occasionally wipe the earpads and headband off with a Clorox wipe and they look as good as new.

Luckily, I came up with a simple tuning fix for the bloated bass, that only takes 10 minutes and nets considerably better sound (no bloat, no distortion, and tighter punchier bass): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bluedio-t3.806442/#post-13706873. I sure hope Bluedio sees my driver tuning mod, because it would improve their products that use this 57mm titanium driver 10-fold. The difference is night and day.

As far as prices:
  • The T3 (non-Plus) can be had for around $33 (on Aliexpress).
  • The T3+ can be had for around $35 (on Aliexpress), and is on flash sale for $39.99 from Gearbest all of the time.
  • The T4 runs about $45 (on Aliexpress).
  • Also check Amazon, because the prices are very competitive/comparable there as well (ie $39.99 or less for the T3+ etc, plus you get the benefit of Amazon shipping, and easy returns if something is wrong or you don't like them).
They come in multiple colors, including a nice looking (limited edition) gold-plated version.

If it was me, I would get the T4 if you can do without the sd card function. Otherwise, if you want the sd card function (which I use all of the time), go with the T3+. Regardless of which you end up buying (assuming you do buy Bluedio), I wouldn't own them without doing the tape mod. You'll see what I mean when you 1st hear them.

Here's 2 head-fi reviews on the T3 and T3+ (there are none on the T4 yet):
Good luck!

Apologies for dredging up an old post, but I'm surprised that you say the T4 sound similar to the T3 as I've noticed a lot of reviewers saying they lack a lot of bass in comparison. I don't own the T3, but love the T4 when used wired. I only bought them for aesthetic reasons but was surprised by what I thought was a fairly balanced sound (when used wired) with a nice soundstage, good resolution and separation.

Unless I'm a basshead without knowing it (which is possible)!

Back on topic, I want to thank you for recommending the UiiSii CM5 in the KZ thread, which I managed to find in blue for under £15 on Amazon.

I wasn't wowed by them at first and even found them a little hot in the upper mids/lower treble region, but the more I listen to them the more I love them. Loads of detail, nice controlled bass which goes down into the subbass region, coupled with great separation, placement and soundstage.

Put the large starline tips on and to me they sound great with a good seal and shallow insertion.

Have barely touched another IEM since receiving them and they definitely deserve more love on here.

After being told off for having am obsession when my missus discovered how many earphones i owned. I've had to calm my purchases down, but these were a great re-entry!

Have a ZS6 on the way too with a tri-braid cable (shhhhhhh!)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #13,971 of 33,689
Dec 25, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #13,972 of 33,689
Merry Christmas guys

So I'm looking for a portable amp with Replaceable opamp. I'm currently own a Fiio e12DIY, looking for a worthy upgrade. I found Line Audio MG2 http://m.tb.cn/h.zfM028 very promising. Can anybody suggest one for me. Thank you

FiiO E12DIY is a beast. Just curious why you are looking to replace it.

BTW, did you ever try it with a MUSES 01 or 02 opamp?

Dec 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #13,976 of 33,689
My Toneking NineTail take which ended being pretty hefty, sorry for the crappy photos.

20171218_121520.jpg

Build 10/10:
- excellent manufacturing and finishing of the shell;
- filter operation works smoothly.

Ergonomics 8/10:
- I have big ears so it fits well, I suppose those with small ears might have issues;
- the bigger part of the body (which holds the driver and the nozzle) tends to touch the ear and be pushed back out due to the rather short nozzle;
- because of the above reason, inside ear canal style tips with significant insertion portion won't work well, you'll probably need tips which put distance between the ear and the shell and provide shallow fit sealing.
- isolation is above average once you get the fit - I've used them while taking the subway and it's okay;

Cable 8/10:
- good craftsmanship, great connectors on all ends;
- a bit springy;
- because of the above it could benefit from memory wire (absent) for around ear fit (yes, I like those);
- no strain reliefs for shell connectors, lack of chin slider.

Tip selection 5/10 indulgently:
- 2 pairs L-size memory foam tip with different color - could at least provide 2 different sizes;
- 3 pairs generic white silicone tips;
- 3 pairs brown silicone tips identical with the white ones - useless;
- no wide bore option or multi-flange;
- in my case I got best fit with KZ Starlines which are from hard silicone and for me they provide good shallow seal at ear canal entry point;
- S-size memory foam also seems to work well as an alternative (I try to avoid foam though due to rolloffs) and I can also see multi-flange working well but haven't tried these yet - basically any tip that put enough distance between the shell and your ears to prevent expulsion;

Sound (will not score as the only serious comparison is KZ ZS5v1 so that's not really relevant):
- red back filter (rear vent with no damping so biggest bass) + blue nozzle (medium treble) filter;
- bass - very well done with great nuances and texture, quick and clean, I miss some slam here (perhaps due to some sub-bass rolloff, not sure); KZ has bigger slam but it's not that richly sounding;
- mids - more forward than KZ ZS5's, so more details and more nuances are perceived;
- treble - has 3 well distinct filter options so there's a pretty big chance you'll nail it were you want it; blue filter is middle and for me has good extension and enough energy (never tried the silver one which supposedly is the brightest);
- soundstage - clearly bigger (wider) then KZ ZS5's;
- imaging/separation - better than KZ ZS5's probably because there is more space to play around with;
- detail retrieval - about on par imo (TNT has the better tuned DD driver, KZ has the BAs which help in this part);
- dynamics - can't see huge difference so far, if I'd have to differentiate I'd say perhaps more smoothness (less graininess) on TNT side

My conclusions (YMMV etc.):
- TNT is a clear upgrade from KZ ZS5 (minus the bass thump and perhaps ergonomics);
- worth upgrading from KZ ZS5 if you already like them? - not necessarily as I already see some diminishing returns with the price increase (~80 euros price difference: 110 euro vs 25 euros) but yes if you especially value detailed bass (versus impactful bass), great mids (versus good mids) and better soundstage;
- so TNT is more expertly tuned and has a more refined sound while KZ has a more fun tuning; I will continue to use both, ZS5 with its relaxed V-shape having the advantage of the thumpier bass which works for diversity;
- I paid only 73 euros at 11.11 for TNT so a good deal to get my feet wet in the 100-ish segment; the other contender for 11.11 purchase was TFZ King (thanks @B9Scrambler for helping with these back then) but in the end went with TNT because of its versatility given by the filters;
- my next significant purchase in the distant future will be in the 200-ish segment perhaps also with tuning filters style IEMs (looking at LZ A4, used FLC8) or multi-BA (Brainwavz B400); until then I might check out the next ZS5/6 challenger from KZ;
- thanks @crabdog for the heads-up on TNT.

20171224_193432.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #13,977 of 33,689
My Toneking NineTail take which ended being pretty hefty, sorry for the crappy photos.

Build 10/10:
- excellent manufacturing and finishing of the shell;
- filter operation works smoothly.

Ergonomics 8/10:
- I have big ears so it fits well, I suppose those with small ears might have issues;
- the bigger part of the body (which holds the driver and the nozzle) tends to touch the ear and be pushed back out due to the rather short nozzle;
- because of the above reason, inside ear canal style tips with significant insertion portion won't work well, you'll probably need tips which put distance between the ear and the shell and provide shallow fit sealing.
- isolation is above average once you get the fit - I've used them while taking the subway and it's okay;

Cable 8/10:
- good craftsmanship, great connectors on all ends;
- a bit springy;
- because of the above it could benefit from memory wire (absent) for around ear fit (yes, I like those);
- no strain reliefs for shell connectors, lack of chin slider.

Tip selection 5/10 indulgently:
- 2 pairs L-size memory foam tip with different color - could at least provide 2 different sizes;
- 3 pairs generic white silicone tips;
- 3 pairs brown silicone tips identical with the white ones - useless;
- no wide bore option or multi-flange;
- in my case I got best fit with KZ Starlines which are from hard silicone and for me they provide good shallow seal at ear canal entry point;
- S-size memory foam also seems to work well as an alternative (I try to avoid foam though due to rolloffs) and I can also see multi-flange working well but haven't tried these yet - basically any tip that put enough distance between the shell and your ears to prevent expulsion;

Sound (will not score as the only serious comparison is KZ ZS5v1 so that's not really relevant):
- red back filter (rear vent with no damping so biggest bass) + blue nozzle (medium treble) filter;
- bass - very well done with great nuances and texture, quick and clean, I miss some slam here (perhaps due to some sub-bass rolloff, not sure); KZ has bigger slam but it's not that richly sounding;
- mids - more forward than KZ ZS5's, so more details and more nuances are perceived;
- treble - has 3 well distinct filter options so there's a pretty big chance you'll nail it were you want it; blue filter is middle and for me has good extension and enough energy (never tried the silver one which supposedly is the brightest);
- soundstage - clearly bigger (wider) then KZ ZS5's;
- imaging/separation - better than KZ ZS5's probably because there is more space to play around with;
- detail retrieval - about on par imo (TNT has the better tuned DD driver, KZ has the BAs which help in this part);
- dynamics - can't see huge difference so far, if I'd have to differentiate I'd say perhaps more smoothness (less graininess) on TNT side

My conclusions (YMMV etc.):
- TNT is a clear upgrade from KZ ZS5 (minus the bass thump and perhaps ergonomics);
- worth upgrading from KZ ZS5 if you already like them? - not necessarily as I already see some diminishing returns with the price increase (~80 euros price difference: 110 euro vs 25 euros) but yes if you especially value detailed bass (versus impactful bass), great mids (versus good mids) and better soundstage;
- so TNT is more expertly tuned and has a more refined sound while KZ has a more fun tuning; I will continue to use both, ZS5 with its relaxed V-shape having the advantage of the thumpier bass which works for diversity;
- I paid only 73 euros at 11.11 for TNT so a good deal to get my feet wet in the 100-ish segment; the other contender for 11.11 purchase was TFZ King (thanks @B9Scrambler for helping with these back then) but in the end went with TNT because of its versatility given by the filters;
- my next significant purchase in the distant future will be in the 200-ish segment perhaps also with tuning filters style IEMs (looking at LZ A4, used FLC8) or multi-BA (Brainwavz B400); until then I might check out the next ZS5/6 challenger from KZ;
- thanks @crabdog for the heads-up on TNT.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Awesome, thanks for the impressions!

I never got around to the ZS5/6 as I have too many IEMs already. I do understand you might miss some bass slam as the TNT is fairly balanced overall. However if I use the TNT exclusively for a day or two I don't miss having extra bass after my brain has adjusted. The $100 segment is becoming much more competitive now but I think the TNT still holds up very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back