Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 22, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #13,951 of 33,689
To me balanced is more of bass mids treble having even actual frequency presence in actual "dB" volume loudness. While on the other hand, netural to me can either mean super uncoloured sound or having a very dull presentation. So technically an earphone can be balanced sounding while being neutral meaning "boring" sound. And at the same time an earphone can also be balanced sounding but very coloured sounding and fun, very not neutral at all!

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #13,954 of 33,689
The MEMT R7 are constructively sound...very well-made housing and good cables; a first for MEMT. But, even though the default silicone tips are not at all my favorite, you can easily swap them, let's say, either foam/comply or my personal choice, magaosi's soft rubber-like silicone tips (an aftermarket purchase). You'll get exceptionally vivid clarity with no harshness or sibilance, whatsoever, and very nice extended lows.

those are my favorite tips as well but unable to locate them anywhere. Do you have a source?
(thanks for the short impression)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #13,955 of 33,689
Maybe because ppl buying cheap earphones are hoping to land flagship killers whereas ppl who bought flagships believe that they got flagships.
That was my main issue with zs5's and the KZ thread in general. I take issue with people saying the zs5 are equal or better than 200-300 dollar headphones. Yes several people actually said that. The zs5 are what they are, a 20 dollar headphone. The delusion is strong in that thread.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #13,956 of 33,689
Been listening to my Sony MDR EX800ST(with an EX1000 cable) which uses a single dynamic driver and it's once again making me wonder what exactly is the point in this Chinese driver war we got going on.

It's fabulous. Did anyone get their Toneking Ninetails yet?

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #13,957 of 33,689
That's where the fine line draws the difference between the two.....ZS5 leans towards a balanced signature,:point_left: :point_right:while the T2's leans towards a neutral signature. ...of course, that depends if you're using foam/comply or silicone ear tips.

wut

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #13,958 of 33,689
That was my main issue with zs5's and the KZ thread in general. I take issue with people saying the zs5 are equal or better than 200-300 dollar headphones. Yes several people actually said that. The zs5 are what they are, a 20 dollar headphone. The delusion is strong in that thread.

People say that about everything. I remember the VE monks supposedly being better than mid-fi over-ears, or the Mikros 90 being better than summit-fi gear.

I can vouch that I tended to listen to my ZS6 more than my $200 sets (until now) but not that they're "better." I just liked them.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #13,959 of 33,689
Did anyone get their Toneking Ninetails yet?[/QUOTE]

I got mine a few weeks ago.
My favorite DD IEM so far.
I hear the blue blue filters set up with JVC spiral dots or KZ spirals.
Well extension to both top ends imo.
Mid bass and upper mids and highs are very slightly lifted but nothing serious for those like me who prefer a flat signature. It is on the brighter side but remains still for me a closer to natural character. Voices are present and sound great. Mids and voices are not in the background but comes up very clear. Overall it is a crystal clear and lively and airy performance - for a single DD. I don't miss accentuation in any part of the frequency range. Maybe it is only a tad too much in the upper mids /highs as I am very sensitive to harshness but this is not too bad for me up to this point.
I prefer the TNT currently over my HIFIMAN RE-400 what is no question in the end, but also over my slightly adapted Pinnacle P1.
My yesterday delivered Brainwavz B400 wins in refinement in the highs though the TNT has the better extension. The B400 instead goes deeper in the bass section. But on the other hand it is more bass enhanced in general than the TNT.
But those who prefer more bass boost can use different filters with the TNT. Blue blue is the most balanced combination I could find so far, at least to my hearing.
The B400 did only get an hour or two listening time but I think with the TNT I can hear more details in the mids/lower mids.
What else? Comfort is good at my ears. Overall built quality is quite solid.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #13,960 of 33,689
My annual Lounge-Awards where I award the products that I reviewed in the past year were bestowed this night at 00:00 am CET, and I'd appreciate if you could check them out, of course only if you want to (it took me almost two full days to write the article and mini-articles): http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/12/Awards-2017.html

There were certainly several really nice Asian audio product releases this year, of which the NocturnaL Audio Atlantis and Brainwavz' re-launch of the B-series were probably my favourite.

DSC04718-small.JPG

Despite popular demand, they are still in German and not in English, however while you may not be able to understand what each paragraph is all about if you don't understand German (or if the Google Translate translation that is available right below the navigation bar is too imprecise), seeing which product is awarded in what category is quite easy due to the headlines and selective text colour.

:beers:

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #13,961 of 33,689

People say that about everything. I remember the VE monks supposedly being better than mid-fi over-ears, or the Mikros 90 being better than summit-fi gear. I can vouch that I tended to listen to my ZS6 more than my $200 sets (until now) but not that they're "better." I just liked them.

I decided to take a listen to my father's channel imbalanced ZS5 V1 today and it once again made my jaw dropped. ZS5 V1 never fails to amaze me like seriously. In fact they are really worth alot more than they should be TBVVVH. I just dont understand how some ppl arent impressed with the ZS5. I've listened to so many mid fi iems and many of them dont really impress me that much.

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #13,962 of 33,689
Tinaudio T2 is nothing like Zs5, It has a neutral, non fatiguing sound imo

To all of you who are raving about the Tin Audio T2. Are you covering the front vents or not? I like my T2's, but I hear a coloration in the midrange which gives sort of an AWWWW sound to things, in the 500Hz range, around piano middle C. Not natural sounding. It gets a little better if I switch from the blue foam tips to KZ star lines or to the silicone tips that the T2 comes with, but it is still there. From looking at the frequency response graphs on audio budget, it looks as iff covering the front vents might eliminate this. But, I do not have any putty or Blu tack right now... So, I wondered how everyone else is listening to theirs.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #13,963 of 33,689
Did anyone get their Toneking Ninetails yet?

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying the TNT! I found the blues a little bright for my preference so have stuck with silver / silver combo. Being so good for a single DD it has me extremely curious about the newest Toneking 5 BA IEM. Will try to get my hands on one soon for impressions and a full review.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #13,964 of 33,689
Glad to hear someone else is enjoying the TNT! I found the blues a little bright for my preference so have stuck with silver / silver combo. Being so good for a single DD it has me extremely curious about the newest Toneking 5 BA IEM. Will try to get my hands on one soon for impressions and a full review.

I will be carefully and will definitely wait for first and further impressions on the 5BA. If I got it right Toneking is the successor name of MusicMaker.
Initially I liked the SW3, later I couldn't deal with harshness and sold it. Tried some months later the mmcx version and had the same issue and found it very colored and no way well performing.
Hope they get it with the 5BA tuning more to my likings.
But yes, the Nine Tails raises hope for more.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #13,965 of 33,689
My annual Lounge-Awards where I award the products that I reviewed in the past year were bestowed this night at 00:00 am CET, and I'd appreciate if you could check them out, of course only if you want to (it took me almost two full days to write the article and mini-articles): http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/12/Awards-2017.html

There were certainly several really nice Asian audio product releases this year, of which the NocturnaL Audio Atlantis and Brainwavz' re-launch of the B-series were probably my favourite.

Despite popular demand, they are still in German and not in English, however while you may not be able to understand what each paragraph is all about if you don't understand German (or if the Google Translate translation that is available right below the navigation bar is too imprecise), seeing which product is awarded in what category is quite easy due to the headlines and selective text colour.

:beers:

I find the translation adequate 99% of the time. Thanks for all your insight and hard work!

fest.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back