Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #6,901 of 33,689
What is the best >100$ Chinese IEM with a neutral sound signature?

I wanted to get the Magaosi K3 Pro but the frequency response is rather v-shaped. I've had too much experience with v-shaped IEMs and headphones to know that I don't like them.

As mentioned by someone else yesterday, Hifiman RE-Zero and VE Duke, though I have no experience in either.

I'm still looking for netural Chi-fi in the 200-325 USD range that can reproduce more realistically than SE535.
for realistic sound, get the cardas a8 or the Jvc fx1100/1200

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #6,902 of 33,689
Justin, the Moni one is really good but on some material it can be piercingly bright. I wouldn't exactly call it neutral.

JMHO

:grinning::grinning:TWIN

Yeah it can be, I need to try Comply and Kombi on them.

for realistic sound, get the cardas a8 or the Jvc fx1100/1200

Cardas A8 are not in production, though it looks like available a few places for $300. They aren't ChiFi though, I think lol

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #6,903 of 33,689
So after posting this in a wrong thread - silly me:
I just got this from the post office. The packaging was covered in shrink wrap for extra assurance that no one at the customs opened and listened to your iems. Also, xduuo included a manual, which includes detailed instructions for burn-in (the quality of the translations is again questionable but gives you an idea), but still a nice touch even if they are a bit on the safe side and unconventional

impressions please

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #6,904 of 33,689

Many hanks for sharing your thoughts on both IEM.
Already bought the Memt X5 but it is fortunately only a 18€ risk if they perform not to my liking.
wink.gif

Just for reference...what are the next best IEM behind the Sendiy M1221 you experienced so far?

iSINE10,iSINE20

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #6,906 of 33,689
impressions please

Well, I didn't spend much time with it, so these are very early impressions with the stock tips. The xduoo ep1 is warm and bassy. The bass is quite big and can be overwhelming but at least it's relatively tight given its amount, which is a pro as for me loose, soft and hollow are extremely unwelcome traits for a low end. The mids are warm and full with a decent amount of detail.  They lack transparency but that's usually the case with thick note presentation. Both male and female vocals have good presence.The highs aren't peaky and have a good amount of sparkle but lack some shimmer and air on top. Overall, the presentation is full and enveloping but a bit on the intimate side. 

To be completely, honest aside from the overall sound signature, which might not be exactly my preference as I prefer more flat and neutral sound, the xduoo ep1 is definitely good for the money. It doesn't have any glaring flows like slows and soft bass, sharp peaks, artificial treble etc. Aside from the amount of the low (which for some will be welcome)m the ep1 is actually a competent iem and I've heard worse in the same price range and above, so unlike some other iems I've bought throughout the ears and disposed of quickly, I can't say I regret getting it.

I'll have to burn the ep1 in and do some extensive tip rolling but if the bass levels a bit and the upper treble opens up it will be a positive change. Also, experimenting with tape modes on the vent holes is totally an option as plugging them with fingers definitely removes a lot of warmth and reduces the bass (IMO too much when completely sealed but someone might tinker with that). And again these are early initial impressions.

edit: oh, I forgot - the build quality seems fairly nice. the cable is a bit on the thin side but appears to be rugged enough and it's well relieved both at the plug and the housings. I would have prefereed if it was a bit softer but it's not bad. The housings are light and the ep1 isolates well

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #6,907 of 33,689
  Well, I didn't spend much time with it, so these are very early impressions with the stock tips. The xduoo ep1 is warm and bassy. The bass is quite big and can be overwhelming but at least it's relatively tight given its amount, which is a pro as for me loose, soft and hollow are extremely unwelcome traits for a low end. The mids are warm and full with a decent amount of detail.  They lack transparency but that's usually the case with thick note presentation. Both male and female vocals have good presence.The highs aren't peaky and have a good amount of sparkle but lack some shimmer and air on top. Overall, the presentation is full and enveloping but a bit on the intimate side. 

To be completely, honest aside from the overall sound signature, which might not be exactly my preference as I prefer more flat and neutral sound, the xduoo ep1 is definitely good for the money. It doesn't have any glaring flows like slows and soft bass, sharp peaks, artificial treble etc. Aside from the amount of the low (which for some will be welcome)m the ep1 is actually a competent iem and I've heard worse in the same price range and above, so unlike some other iems I've bought throughout the ears and disposed of quickly, I can't say I regret getting it.

I'll have to burn the ep1 in and do some extensive tip rolling but if the bass levels a bit and the upper treble opens up it will be a positive change. Also, experimenting with tape modes on the vent holes is totally an option as plugging them with fingers definitely removes a lot of warmth and reduces the bass (IMO too much when completely sealed but someone might tinker with that). And again these are early initial impressions

can you say anything with regards to soundstage (or lack of) yet ??

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #6,908 of 33,689
any metalheads here? what would be your go-to picks up to $50 and up to $100 mainly for heavy metal?

Fiio ex1. fast. detailed. chunky guitars. band sounds tight. good energy. (also known as Dunu Titan-1)

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #6,909 of 33,689

can you say anything with regards to soundstage (or lack of) yet ??

Well, positioning is good and the soundstage size is above average, but due to the warmth between the instruments ep1 has more of a full and enveloping sound rather than more airy and open that can create the illusion that the sound queues are thrown further away .

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #6,910 of 33,689
Yeah it can be, I need to try Comply and Kombi on them.
Cardas A8 are not in production, though it looks like available a few places for $300. They aren't ChiFi though, I think lol

You probably won't like a neutral signature as much as you would think. The Advanced Sound M4 is actually quite good and rather neutral at around $40.

I have a pair of supposedly quite balanced and highly touted earphones on the way the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 although they are just barely under $200.

Will let you know impressions when I get them Monday. Currently they are rated #2 on head fis universal list. Right behind the Senn. IE8 which I can assure you isn't neutral.:smiling_imp:

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

it seems different folks have different connotations for the terms "neutral" and "balanced". in my mind, a balanced iem is one which doesn't emphasize any one aspect of the sonic spectrum, while a neutral iem is one which has a generally uncolored tonality which is neither bright nor warm. thus (like twin), i would also regard the moni as being balanced, but far from neutral, while something like the musicmaker tk13 is quite neutral but sorta v-shaped and not balanced. for something both neutral and balanced, i would think of the havi b3 or hifiman 400, neither of which are my cup of hemlock

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #6,911 of 33,689
I received my pair of Memt X5 the day before yesterday, and I'm pleasantly surpriced. I jumped the **** 4in1 hype and they are too sibliant for me, but the X5 are warm with ok detail and crunch to the guitars at least in this moment, where I'm listening to The White Stripes, I've also had a great time with the X5 and In the Court of the Crimson King, I got them at the same time :wink:

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #6,914 of 33,689
My Memt X5 that I just received a few days ago has a short in the right side wire and the music is cutting in and out. This is the second order cuz my first was stolen by the PO.. Not good luck so far with this earphone..Love the sound quality though..I got a msg into the seller to see what he advises. I can't name him but I will update so that others will be aware.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #6,915 of 33,689
Well done, sir!

But you are not making my life easier man...:grin: Just got Urbanfun, waiting for Uiisii HM7 and wanting X5 now...:grin:

Thank you kindly. Don't you have the Cellos already? Surely they must be keeping you happy.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back