Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #33,106 of 33,689
Budget: Under $50 USD

Sound sig: I want something different from Blons, so something that emphasises more on vocals that aren't piercing at all (i hate kz zsn), and just enough bass for it to be balanced. I just started listening to Novo Amor and Bon Iver, and bass-heavy iems aren't cutting it.

Fit: OEM resin iems like the Paiaudio DR2/Hillaudio Altair R.A fit extremely well, but I get driver flex and they always crackle. The BL01 fits me well with wide bore tops such as the BGVP W01. I use L/XL tips (14mm diameter).

Source: Sony NW-A55 with Mrwalkman A50z mod playing mostly flac files.
+1 to the TRN TA1 and KZ DQ6 recs. Especially the TA1, that thing is made for vocals.

The TA1 is a bit bass-light while the DQ6 has a bit more bass. Both come with crappy stock tips that belong in the garbage 😆

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #33,107 of 33,689
Budget: Under $50 USD

Sound sig: I want something different from Blons, so something that emphasises more on vocals that aren't piercing at all (i hate kz zsn), and just enough bass for it to be balanced. I just started listening to Novo Amor and Bon Iver, and bass-heavy iems aren't cutting it.

Fit: OEM resin iems like the Paiaudio DR2/Hillaudio Altair R.A fit extremely well, but I get driver flex and they always crackle. The BL01 fits me well with wide bore tops such as the BGVP W01. I use L/XL tips (14mm diameter).

Source: Sony NW-A55 with Mrwalkman A50z mod playing mostly flac files.
👏🏻 TRN TA1 👏🏻

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #33,111 of 33,689
What are people's opinions on a custom QDC VX?

I auditioned a universal QDC Anole VX a few months back. Has tuning switches and superb technicalities. One of the best technical monsters I've had the pleasure of listening to. It has BA timbre though. Also it's very expensive and hence there's huge diminishing returns compared to midfi gear, but I guess if you have the cash to burn and if money is no object, it is a very good set.

Do audition it first though, wouldn't advise blind buying any audio gear past the midfi segment. If one doesn't like the sound, one would have sold away a kidney for naught!!!

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #33,112 of 33,689
I auditioned a universal QDC Anole VX a few months back. Has tuning switches and superb technicalities. One of the best technical monsters I've had the pleasure of listening to. It has BA timbre though. Also it's very expensive and hence there's huge diminishing returns compared to midfi gear, but I guess if you have the cash to burn and if money is no object, it is a very good set.

Do audition it first though, wouldn't advise blind buying any audio gear past the midfi segment. If one doesn't like the sound, one would have sold away a kidney for naught!!!
The difficulty is, in some parts of the world there is little or no option to audition earphones, which is why we rely on the opinion of others....like you 😉

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #33,113 of 33,689
The difficulty is, in some parts of the world there is little or no option to audition earphones, which is why we rely on the opinion of others....like you 😉

Haha a pro tip one audiophile told me before was to use the Amazon abuse technique -> buy IEMs on Amazon and return the IEM if it the sound isn't for you. He actually goes thru dozens of IEMs per month using this technique, without being banned by Amazon yet. Well I've not tried this personally, the ethics of it is another issue, but there's some obscure CHIFI that unfortunately can't be found on Amazon.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #33,114 of 33,689
Haha a pro tip one audiophile told me before was to use the Amazon abuse technique -> buy IEMs on Amazon and return the IEM if it the sound isn't for you. He actually goes thru dozens of IEMs per month using this technique, without being banned by Amazon yet. Well I've not tried this personally, the ethics of it is another issue, but there's some obscure CHIFI that unfortunately can't be found on Amazon.
The problem for me is I cannot bring myself to do it.

However, more importantly, the British Automobile Association (AA) which gives roadside assistance to its members brought in an abuse policy, after someone built their business on their option to tow the members' cars home if they cannot be fixed by the roadside.

He simply carried goods to his customers all over the country and as a member, he got the AA to tow him home, free of charge. He undercut competitors and built up a good business because all he had to do was pay the cost of fuel one way.

Clearly, if abused, the policy will be changed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #33,116 of 33,689
You have to be really egregious in your abuse of the Amazon return policy, to suffer repercussions, for your less than stellar morals.

e.g. The 22 year old that kept $370K in goods and returned boxes of dirt.

I suspect the more amoral you are, the more inspiration you give Bezos. Despise the company and the way it treats its staff. Sadly we are all slaves to Amazon now.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #33,117 of 33,689
+1 to the TRN TA1 and KZ DQ6 recs. Especially the TA1, that thing is made for vocals.

The TA1 is a bit bass-light while the DQ6 has a bit more bass. Both come with crappy stock tips that belong in the garbage 😆
How is the TA1 compared to the T2 or KC2? I don't mind less bass now as my T2s have too much bass with clearaudio+ on 😂

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #33,118 of 33,689
How is the TA1 compared to the T2 or KC2? I don't mind less bass now as my T2s have too much bass with clearaudio+ on 😂
I don't have the T2 or KC2 but depending on the tips used, there is a slight mid bass bump and a sub bass roll off, probably similar to the T2. Gets a bit bassier with large starline tips though.

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #33,120 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back