Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #32,671 of 33,689
Ironically, KZ are probably the most consistent ChiFi manufacturer in terms of QC. I have literally never heard of a KZ going wrong unless it has been set on fire.

Actually I find it true, we can bash KZ tuning (or lack thereof), but I've not had a single KZ die on me due to QC problems. I've had about 10ish KZs in my CHIFI journey (including CCA pokemon), sold all away except the KZ ZS10 Pro, but some were treated quite badly, like put at the bottom of bags and stuffed in pockets without cases, yet they all survived. Tough pokemon they are, not withstanding these pokemon are released into the wild on an almost weekly basis.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #32,672 of 33,689
Actually I find it true, we can bash KZ tuning (or lack thereof), but I've not had a single KZ die on me due to QC problems. I've had about 10ish KZs in my CHIFI journey (including CCA pokemon), sold all away except the KZ ZS10 Pro, but some were treated quite badly, like put at the bottom of bags and stuffed in pockets without cases, yet they all survived. Tough pokemon they are, not withstanding these pokemon are released into the wild on an almost weekly basis.

With such lemons as the Urbanfun YIFF and the FH3 driver deaths still fresh in everyone's minds, KZ is doing pretty good for themselves

sadly that also invalidates the excuse of "it broke" when more IEMs show up in your mailbox and your significant other is eyeing you suspiciously

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #32,673 of 33,689
Actually I find it true, we can bash KZ tuning (or lack thereof), but I've not had a single KZ die on me due to QC problems.

I’ve had 2 out of between 100-150 KZs.

1 was a ZS3 whose driver died due to a batch of bad drivers made for Gearbest. KZ and Gearbest replaced them for everyone affected once KZ was made aware of the problem.

The other was an ATE that had rust inside the shell and a resulting dead driver. It likely got seawater in it at some point in its journey. So technically that was probably the shipping companies, which is out of KZs control. Needless to say, it too was immediately replaced no problem.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #32,674 of 33,689
between 100-150 KZs.

respect-davis-boreanaz.gif

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #32,675 of 33,689

1 was a ZS3 whose driver died due to a batch of bad drivers made for Gearbest. KZ and Gearbest replaced them for everyone affected once KZ was made aware of the problem.

The other was an ATE that had rust inside the shell and a dead driver. It likely got seawater in it at some point in its journey. Again, immediately replaced no problem.
100-150 KZs!!!!! Damn. You probably got like 5-10 of each model then lol. :joy:

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #32,676 of 33,689
With such lemons as the Urbanfun YIFF and the FH3 driver deaths still fresh in everyone's minds, KZ is doing pretty good for themselves

sadly that also invalidates the excuse of "it broke" when more IEMs show up in your mailbox and your significant other is eyeing you suspiciously

U forgot about the 3 letter company starting with T. KZ's biggest competitor in the driver nuclear race and the one that is pushing a $15000 golden ears IEM. I had 2 BT adapters and 2 IEMs from them that are dead after a few months of use. So many complaints about QC for them in the forums, notwithstanding the unsoldered cable saga issue that @Slater unearthed for us. I wonder how will they honor the warranty of the $15000 USD golden ears set when it inevitably comes wired out of phase or dead in some drivers. Well, at least it can be melted down to gold and sold (assuming it ain't fake gold or gold plated LOL!).

Urbanfun is another joke, I just read complaints in the urbanfun forum today about their QC. But Urbanfun is even more dangerous than QC in the MMCX, you may even get a wrong driver type (noble metal)! It is sad that even in newer batches that they promised to be fixed, there's still QC issues. Indeed, this statement courtesy of Headfier @lgcubana and Forrest Gump really sums up the Urbanfun: “My Mom Always Said Life Was Like A Box Of Urbanfuns. You Never Know What You’re Gonna Get.”

The other was an ATE that had rust inside the shell and a dead driver. It likely got seawater in it at some point in its journey. Again, immediately replaced no problem.

Respect! You are the true pokemon master!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #32,677 of 33,689
100-150 KZs!!!!! Damn. You probably got like 5-10 of each model then lol. :joy:

Yeah, given away as gifts, sold to people, modded, traded, used for parts, etc.

Of my “personal” ones, I always buy 2 of models that I like, to have 1 as a spare backup. Or to have the different colors, etc.

I’m still sad that I was never able to get a Royal Blue ZS10 Pro or a Micro Ring. One of these days.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #32,678 of 33,689

Absolutely, respect, Master @Slater

My 25+ Kz & ~10 CCA are pale in comparison :)

Nothing failed, hairline cracks on few paragraph C connectors and losing mesh on C16.

You may laugh loud at me, when I got AS10art $45 (E-bay, I was not proficient with AE back then) few years ago, I so loved the sound that I ordered a second one right away and I was a bit worried that they can be fake at those prices :L3000:

Now, few years after, the second AS10 package is still unopened. AS10 (and C16 after) took a half a year each of quite heavy use (no any pampering) and I still enjoy them now.

Don't take my word for it, but it looks that KZ may have improved paragraph C connectors. I made ~100 of connector changes with ASX trying to figure it out before changing the nozzles - no cracks (AS16 by contrast had some (very minor) with just one different cable replaced).

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #32,679 of 33,689
U forgot about the 3 letter company starting with T. KZ's biggest competitor in the driver nuclear race and the one that is pushing a $15000 golden ears IEM. I had 2 BT adapters and 2 IEMs from them that are dead after a few months of use. So many complaints about QC for them in the forums, notwithstanding the unsoldered cable saga issue that @Slater unearthed for us. I wonder how will they honor the warranty of the $15000 USD golden ears set when it inevitably comes wired out of phase or dead in some drivers. Well, at least it can be melted down to gold and sold (assuming it ain't fake gold or gold plated LOL!).

Urbanfun is another joke, I just read complaints in the urbanfun forum today about their QC. But Urbanfun is even more dangerous than QC in the MMCX, you may even get a wrong driver type (noble metal)! It is sad that even in newer batches that they promised to be fixed, there's still QC issues. Indeed, this statement courtesy of Headfier @lgcubana and Forrest Gump really sums up the Urbanfun: “My Mom Always Said Life Was Like A Box Of Urbanfuns. You Never Know What You’re Gonna Get.”

Respect! You are the true pokemon master!
After making a misstep (decided to wait for reviews & lost out on the initial discount) on the KB Ear Believe, I (for a nanosecond) thought about the URBANFUN YBF-ISS014 (via Amazon). But (like you) read the last 2 pages on the dedicated YBF-ISS014 & stepped back, into the realm of sanity.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #32,680 of 33,689

The other was an ATE that had rust inside the shell and a resulting dead driver. It likely got seawater in it at some point in its journey. So technically that was probably the shipping companies, which is out of KZs control. Needless to say, it too was immediately replaced no problem.
ZS3 is my first KZ and it still working after 3-4years. I like the ergonomics on this one, when it sits nicely in the ear, passive noise cancellation is really good.
Build it is very cheap. When I was cleaning the nozzle, I noticed that they put a red shrink tube on the front of the driver, which is often used for cable insulation, in order to direct the sound. :smiley: They used the same design for the ZS4 hybrid, which I skipped, and then ZS3E came out with an improved build and red color that I couldn't resist.
For owners of the original model, I suggest you try these compensation files by Jaakko Pasanen. They can improve the sound a bit

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #32,682 of 33,689
Holy back from the dead Batman, we thought you dropped off the face of the planet!

I’m glad to see your bashing has expanded from strictly KZ, to now include all ChiFi. Equal opportunity bashing.

Glad to have you back bro :)
Actually the best ChiFi I have found is from a banned company that starts with an S. Out of $500 spent on Chifi iems I would only recommend their most well known and only $25 iem.

However, it does need a cable change.

PS: Disliking faulty products is not bashing.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #32,684 of 33,689
Actually the best ChiFi I have found is from a banned company that starts with an S. Out of $500 spent on Chifi iems I would only recommend their most well known and only $25 iem.

However, it does need a cable change.

PS: Disliking faulty products is not bashing.
The S... company have quite a few of -$25 IEMs including a pro version of what you most likely refer to (and many prefer the pro version for their more realistic timbre).

I very much enjoy S... MT300 that were recently on sale at ~$70.

In the context, the difference between "bashing" and constructive criticism may arguable lie in relevant competence and constructive attitude.

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #32,685 of 33,689
New years sale starts in 1 day on aliexpress that will drop the Viridis to $76! Now to decide whether to get the FH3 or Viridis to go along with my Etymotic ER2XR....

U can ask @RikudouGoku who has both. But earbuds (Viridis) and IEMs (FH3) are very different kettle of fish. I daresay earbuds are actually closer to open backed headphones than IEMs per se (in terms of earbuds/open backed cans having good soundstage and lack of isolation/subbass), whereas IEMs have better isolation and poorer soundstage in general. I think they bring different benefits to the table so they are complimentary gear IMHO. As this is headfi, the correct answer will be to get both hahaha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back