Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #30,901 of 33,689
It may just be me, but I think companies should stick to simple designs, such as a single DD, when designing budget IEMs that are less than $100. They should focus on exceptional tuning, and quality of driver. These IEMs with hybrid, multi driver arrays are very complex, with so many variables, such as type and quality of drivers, coherence, complex crossover design, timbre, etc. I haven‘t found one yet that I prefer to a well tuned single dynamic driver IEM. (e.g. BL03 vs KZ ZS10 Pro). It‘s very difficult to get all of those variables right on such a tight budget. All hybrid IEMs that I like a lot are >$100. This is not to say that the budget hybrids are inherently bad at all, just often not as good as the well-tuned simpler designs.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #30,902 of 33,689
It may just be me, but I think companies should stick to simple designs, such as a single DD, when designing budget IEMs that are less than $100. They should focus on exceptional tuning, and quality of driver. These IEMs with hybrid, multi driver arrays are very complex, with so many variables, such as type and quality of drivers, coherence, complex crossover design, timbre, etc. I haven‘t found one yet that I prefer to a well tuned single dynamic driver IEM. (e.g. BL03 vs KZ ZS10 Pro). It‘s very difficult to get all of those variables right on such a tight budget. All hybrid IEMs that I like a lot are >$100. This is not to say that the budget hybrids are inherently bad at all, just often not as good as the well-tuned simpler designs.
Agreed (although the ZS10Pro is a hybrid with 1dd+4ba)

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #30,903 of 33,689
BL03 vs. ZS10 Pro is like apples vs. pears. With all BL03 tuning strength, it starts to sound like cardboard when several instruments are played at once with rich dynamics.

Then ZSX (and CCA C12) are appreciably better iterations of ZS10 Pro, as far as tuning is concerned.

Finally, in addition to hybrids, there are all-BAs, CCA C16 are quite nice (minus tamed treble), so it is really great that not only single DDs are made under $100, IMHO.

P. S. These DD arguments reminded me one of the reviewer saying that he heard best music in concerts through DDs.... Well, stopped to even try to listen to his ramblings altogether.
My ideal IEM reviewer would be a violin player and a member of a string quartet :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #30,904 of 33,689
BL03 vs. ZS10 Pro is like apples vs. pears. With all BL03 tuning strength, it starts to sound like cardboard when several instruments are played at once with rich dynamics.

Then ZSX (and CCA C12) are appreciably better iterations of ZS10 Pro, as far as tuning is concerned.

Finally, in addition to hybrids, there are all-BAs, CCA C16 are quite nice (minus tamed treble), so it is really great that not only single DDs are made under $100, IMHO.

P. S. These DD arguments reminded me one of the reviewer saying that he heard best music in concerts through DDs.... Well, stopped to even try to listen to his ramblings altogether.
My ideal IEM reviewer would be a violin player and a member of a string quartet :)
Well, having more options is better than less I guess. :joy:

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #30,905 of 33,689
Jun 2, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #30,906 of 33,689
Well, having more options is better than less I guess. :joy:
Absolutely, I enjoy them both :)
While my listening preferences are centered in all-BAs.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #30,907 of 33,689
Absolutely, I enjoy them both :)
While my listening preferences are centered in all-BAs.
More options are definitely better.

I guess maybe I should elaborate, and of course, this is just my opinion. I just prefer simpler designs that are implemented well. Budget all-BA IEMs should definitely be produced, but a well tuned 3 BA IEM, is often better than one with 6, 8, or 10 BAs thrown in just for numbers. Likewise, a hybrid with one DD and 1 or 2 BAs is often better implemented than one with a lot more BAs. They definitely should NOT only produce single DD IEMs. I guess this is an opinion that I carried over from speakers.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #30,908 of 33,689
More options are definitely better.

I guess maybe I should elaborate, and of course, this is just my opinion. I just prefer simpler designs that are implemented well. Budget all-BA IEMs should definitely be produced, but a well tuned 3 BA IEM, is often better than one with 6, 8, or 10 BAs thrown in just for numbers. Likewise, a hybrid with one DD and 1 or 2 BAs is often better implemented than one with a lot more BAs. They definitely should NOT only produce single DD IEMs. I guess this is an opinion that I carried over from speakers.

Absolutely, good designs are very important, no arguments there.

An important point for me to elaborate again is that 4-5 BA drivers working together (no any additional crossovers, anything!) will be much smoother compared to a single driver (by the physics of cancelling out higher overtones similar to smooth playing of a violin section in an orchestra compared to a single violin).

I got a 3-BA Knowles IEM out of curiosity (well, technically 4, but 3 physically: TWFK (2x), ED29689, CI22955), they are great in many aspects, I am very happy with this design. Yet in some ways C16 (at least twice less expensive) and ZSX (almost 5 times less expensive) have their advantages (to my ears) by scrambling together 4 BAs working together as one.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #30,909 of 33,689
Not really. We've gone through this before. Examples, of the top of my head. BQEYZ KC2, TRN BA5, TIN T3. Yours is a preference, not a general technical rule. Three of my five favorite under $100 IEMs are BA & DD hybrids, one is all BA and one is one-DD. All <$60, all well done. Personal preference, that is all it is.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #30,910 of 33,689
Not really. We've gone through this before. Examples, of the top of my head. BQEYZ KC2, TRN BA5, TIN T3. Yours is a preference, not a general technical rule. Three of my five favorite under $100 IEMs are BA & DD hybrids, one is all BA and one is one-DD. All <$60, all well done. Personal preference, that is all it is.
That’s why I preface my comments by stating that it’s just my opinion, and it clearly is. The question posed was well answered. Different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #30,912 of 33,689
Hi guys. I just want to ask between the three which would be a good upgrade from blon 03. Thanksss

1. Moondrop Starfield
2. BQEYZ SPRING 1
3. BGVP DMG

I am using only sony nwa35 as source. Thanks!
The Starfield should sound the closest to the blon 03 since it also is a single DD. The spring 1 is a tri-brid with a piezo so it wont sound as natural as the blon 03. The DMG I have no idea since I havent researched it.

Starfield is my bet and also you should wait for the BQEYZ spring 2 if you want the spring 1 as it might get cheaper or overshadowed by the spring 2.

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #30,913 of 33,689
The Starfield should sound the closest to the blon 03 since it also is a single DD. The spring 1 is a tri-brid with a piezo so it wont sound as natural as the blon 03. The DMG I have no idea since I havent researched it.

Starfield is my bet and also you should wait for the BQEYZ spring 2 if you want the spring 1 as it might get cheaper or overshadowed by the spring 2.

Thanks mate!

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #30,914 of 33,689
Hi guys. I just want to ask between the three which would be a good upgrade from blon 03. Thanksss

1. Moondrop Starfield
2. BQEYZ SPRING 1
3. BGVP DMG

I am using only sony nwa35 as source. Thanks!

U might want to consider the OEM version of the BGVP DMG, which is the NiceHCK M6. It is cheaper too but I think externally and internally they are pretty similar based on feedback of the others.

NiceHCK M6 is one of my favourite sub $100 hybrids, it comes with 3 tuning filters, but they are quite gimicky. The stock tuning of the M6 has quite a prominent midbass hump and it eats into the treble and mids too much IMO (and this is coming from a basshead). A few of us buy a 3rd party BGVP filter which lowers this midbass hump and makes the tuning more balanced, with space for the mids and treble to breathe. M6 has non fatiguing highs, with good soundstage and above average technicalities. Isolation below average, and timbre is good for a BA set, but won't beat the BLON BL-03 in timbre. M6 beats BLON in technicalities.

Haven't tried the Spring 1 and Starfield, but u might wanna consider the KBEAR Diamond, which is an upgrade over the BLON. It is also a single DD set with better technicalities, timbre, isolation, fit, tonality than the BLON. Though it loses to the BLON in soundstage width, but it has deeper and wider soundstage. The midbass of the Diamond (with same tips) may be of just slightly less quantity than the BLON, but KBEAR Diamond has better bass speed and accuracy than the BLON.

Good luck with your search! I asked some aliexpress sellers and there's a big summer sale planned around the 18/06/20 period, so possibly good prices to be had then if u wait a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #30,915 of 33,689
U might want to consider the OEM version of the BGVP DMG, which is the NiceHCK M6. It is cheaper too but I think externally and internally they are pretty similar based on feedback of the others.

NiceHCK M6 is one of my favourite sub $100 hybrids, it comes with 3 tuning filters, but they are quite gimicky. The stock tuning of the M6 has quite a prominent midbass hump and it eats into the treble and mids too much IMO (and I'm a basshead). A few of us buy a 3rd party BGVP filter which lowers this midbass hump and makes the tuning more balanced, with space for the mids and treble to breathe. M6 has non fatiguing highs, with good soundstage and above average technicalities. Isolation below average, and timbre is good for a BA set, but won't beat the BLON BL-03 in timbre. M6 beats BLON in technicalities.

Haven't tried the Spring 1 and Starfield, but u might wanna consider the KBEAR Diamond, which is an upgrade over the BLON. It is also a single DD set with better technicalities, timbre, isolation, fit, tonality than the BLON. Though it loses to the BLON in soundstage width, but it has deeper and wider soundstage. The midbass of the Diamond (with same tips) may be of just slightly less quantity than the BLON, but KBEAR Diamond has better bass speed and accuracy than the BLON.

Good luck with your search! I asked some aliexpress sellers and there's a big summer sale planned around the 18/06/20 period, so possibly good prices to be had then if u wait a bit.
Thank you so much for your inputs sir. Blon 03 has set a high standard with regards to budget iem. Even 100 usd or more isn't a big leap in terms of sq I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back