Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #29,986 of 33,689
the i3 is bassy to, bass is a bit dominating here. mine is currently about 50hours but I think the DD inside the i3 isnt capable enough compared to their great planar. They have speed for the bass decay, extension i can say good, texture also good but control wise they need to improve, smearing and bloating mids to lower mids frequency, just like the ****. They both have great mids, relaxed trebles but both also have flaws on low end section to me. If only both have lower presentation like NX7 pro, wow..
Tuning need to be improved. and both need better driver for low ends

You might have a blocked bass vent. I have 3 sets of the i3 and the third one I received this week. It was overbearingly bassy - at a basshead level at first to the point of making me think it had a different driver, but I tried pushing a needle in the bass vents (of both sides) and that fixed it and now it sounds more like the others. To my surprise the needle would go in almost 2 cm at one orientation.

And needless to say, pushing needles in your equipment could cause them to fail and/or void warranty so do it at your own risk.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #29,989 of 33,689
If anyone is curious about the Shuoer Singer I posted my review of it today. It has some very positive attributes but the negatives outweigh them IMO.

DSC_4527_result.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #29,991 of 33,689
You might have a blocked bass vent. I have 3 sets of the i3 and the third one I received this week. It was overbearingly bassy at first to the point of making me think it had a different driver, but I tried pushing a needle in the bass vents (of both sides) and that fixed it and now it sounds more like the others. To my surprise the needle would go in almost 2 cm at one orientation (although that much wasn't actually needed for me). On the positive side that shows it is possible to change the sound by blocking the vent. It was pretty much basshead level with a lot of midbass punch for those who like that.

Also it could be possible to check if the vent is blocked by blocking it visibly with duct tape or something and checking if that changes the sound. Didn't do that myself yet though.
And needless to say, pushing needles in your equipment could cause them to fail and/or void warranty so do it at your own risk.

I also curious because when unboxing mine, they were soaked by dried glue on their shell. I try to pinch a needle later but I guess they are sensitive / picky to sources. I tried different sources and they have different signatures. They need power to wake up the planar.
Whatt? you got 3 sets of them? really?

Thanks for advice, let me try later but 2cm is deep man, are you sure you didnt stab any driver inside?

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #29,992 of 33,689
I am tempted by the Cambridge Audio SE1. Any slightly more detailed accounts of it's sound signature?
For £20 they are a steal. Good bass that is not at all boomy, vocals are clear are enjoyable, treble is controlled. I find them a very pleasant listen. They are small and comfortable. I have not tested mic as have not used them with my phone yet.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #29,993 of 33,689
For £20 they are a steal. Good bass that is not at all boomy, vocals are clear are enjoyable, treble is controlled. I find them a very pleasant listen. They are small and comfortable. I have not tested mic as have not used them with my phone yet.

Pulled the trigger on Cambridge Audio SE1. SE1 is a part of London by the Thames which includes our famous Southbank Centre which is full of music and theatre. Spent many a happy evening going to concerts and shows there. Bit of a no brainer for £20.00. Will have them tomorrow. Will they bring delight?

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #29,994 of 33,689
I know SE1 well as I work for Guy's Hospital. I have been listening to these little earphones today and really enjoying them with a variety of music.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #29,995 of 33,689
I also curious because when unboxing mine, they were soaked by dried glue on their shell. I try to pinch a needle later but I guess they are sensitive / picky to sources. I tried different sources and they have different signatures. They need power to wake up the planar.
Whatt? you got 3 sets of them? really?

Thanks for advice, let me try later but 2cm is deep man, are you sure you didnt stab any driver inside?

Yeah, my third set also had visible glue/goo residue on the shells. The first two didn't and that's one reason I thought there might be something in the vents that shouldn't be there.

(Amping and sources do make a difference too.)

Yes, 3 sets. I have for many years had a habit of getting multiple sets of IEMs that I like. It started with Klipsch X10s that were unreliable (which my using them as sport/gym IEMS didn't help) and had highish RRP so I bought them from sales even if I had a working set. Also got multiple Philips Fidelio S2's when I heard they were being discontinued. I still have one unopened set of those. As for the I3, I've now got one set for office, one for home and one for home office. I also prefer their overall sound to my three headphones at rrp $700-1000 so I would want to have a spare set in case one fails or something.

The (nearly) 2 cm was surprising. The direction was tilted toward the backplate and I thought that wouldn't be where the drivers are. Here's some photos too. The angle can best be seen in the first one.

20200216_152644.jpg20200216_152640.jpg20200216_120550.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #29,996 of 33,689
Yeah, my third set also had visible glue/goo residue on the shells. The first two didn't and that's one reason I thought there might be something in the vents that shouldn't be there.

(Amping and sources do make a difference too.)

Yes, 3 sets. I have for many years had a habit of getting multiple sets of IEMs that I like. It started with Klipsch X10s that were unreliable (which my using them as sport/gym IEMS didn't help) and had highish RRP so I bought them from sales even if I had a working set. Also got multiple Philips Fidelio S2's when I heard they were being discontinued. I still have one unopened set of those. As for the I3, I've now got one set for office, one for home and one for home office. I also prefer their overall sound to my three headphones at rrp $700-1000 so I would want to have a spare set in case one fails or something.

The (nearly) 2 cm was surprising. The direction was tilted toward the backplate and I thought that wouldn't be where the drivers are. Here's some photos too. The angle can best be seen in the first one.

20200216_152644.jpg20200216_152640.jpg20200216_120550.jpg

THanks for pointing out, WOW they are much better now, I guess they werent properly vented that sounded more bassy, like "tape modded IEM" seriously they need to QC this. The gloo residue is killing the original signature and amping too also needed. For guys who bought i3, you need to note this, check if your venting holes properly vented / not blocked. I will keep burning my set before have proper listening session but I already like them sooo much, They sounded like H40 now, the balance overall. That smooth yet detail mids is digging me!

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #29,997 of 33,689
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #29,999 of 33,689
Cambridge Audio SE1 are also available on Amazon.com for $20.00. Pizza priced IEMs with Beryllium Driver, that allegedly make money for charity......and allegedly sound good. Will post quick comment later, pre burn in, after mine arrive from Amazon Prime in UK.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #30,000 of 33,689
What benefit does beryllium dynamic drivers have? Do they usually have tighter and faster bass? I am writing my review on the Shozy Form 1.1 so just wanted to know before I say something that is inaccurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back