Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #29,506 of 33,689
I have the Tin Hifi T4 coming next....looking forward to that!

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #29,507 of 33,689
How to handle the treble on the T800?
1) Knowles filters - see Audiosense thread
2) Change eartips - foams or spiral dots seem to be the general consensus in the Audiosense thread
3) Copper cables instead of stock SPC - this is controversial in audiophiledom about cables, but personally, I find the treble is tamed to my tastes with copper cables, and this is the only mod I use on the T800. I explored many permutations, and I don't use knowles filters or aftermarket tips currently.
4) EQ
5) Can consider other mods like teabag, animal foam mods in nozzle etc.
I agree with you about copper cables, they can help to obtain a warmer tonality and improved bass whereas I find silver plated cables can give a brighter result which can help with treble roll off or recessed mids. Uh-oh! Controversial!!!

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #29,508 of 33,689
I agree with you about copper cables, they can help to obtain a warmer tonality and improved bass whereas I find silver plated cables can give a brighter result which can help with treble roll off or recessed mids. Uh-oh! Controversial!!!

I agree. I have a 16 core copper and a silver of the same. They sound different.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #29,509 of 33,689
I agree. I have a 16 core copper and a silver of the same. They sound different.
Yes, I tried a copper cable and a silver plated cable on my TRN BA5, and the copper one helps with the BA bass, whereas the silver plated one sounds a bit too bright.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #29,510 of 33,689
Yes, I tried a copper cable and a silver plated cable on my TRN BA5, and the copper one helps with the BA bass, whereas the silver plated one sounds a bit too bright.

I have an ISN Audio C16, 16 core (the thickest cable ever) and an ISN Audio S16 (same thickness). The C16 is fuller and warmer than the S16. Many are clearly aware that equivalent Silver vs Copper cables sound different. Some don't feel they notice the difference. IMHO there is a difference.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #29,511 of 33,689
Got some more stuff coming, can anyone guess what?

Hint: The moon is one drop away with my nameless spaceship. :grin:

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #29,513 of 33,689
Hello Folks,

I am posting here (1) as a convenient way to subscribe to updates on this thread and...

(2) to ask about this: Is there any significant difference in quality between Comply tips (or Dekoni Bulletz, or Tennmak "ultra" foam etc.) and the generic "T400" and "T200" etc. tips that are sold on AliExpress? You know the ones I am talking about - they usually come in red, blue, black, and gray. Also, are the ones that come in the KZ and TRN branded blister packs the same as the generic ones that are sold loose? I'm not buying any IEMs during this "winter sale", but I want to pick up a bunch of decent generic tips to build a "tip rolling kit". I want to know if I can just go for the cheapest T400/T200 tips in red and blue, or does it matter who I buy from or if I should buy in TRN/KZ branded packs. Also, are there any other Chi-Fi cheap, generic tips that I should consider adding to my kit (already got Tennmak Whirlwinds and KZ Starlines in my cart), either foam or silicone?

Thank you so much!

~ Jon

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #29,514 of 33,689
Generic foams are mostly awful quality from what I have found. Dekoni Bulletz are much better but not very squishy if that's your jam.

Starlines, whirlwinds, spinfits are all available on AliExpress. You can also get copies of Sony Hybrids which are decent enough.

Outside of AliExpress, Spiral Dots (available from Penon for cheap), Symbios and Final Type E are all worth a look for a selection to choose from. Spirals are now more or less my default.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #29,515 of 33,689
Wonderful and quick feedback, @Tonymac136! Thank you very much. All the tips you mentioned (and more) are on my list. I picked up a set of Final E tips just the other day, and I am already keyed into the good deal on Spiral Dots on Penon. I am ordering a couple sets of generic "Sony" Hybrids to compare with the authentic sets I have. I may pick up some Spinfits on AliE, but I think they may be roughly the same price on eBay (I will check).

Besides Comply and Dekoni, are there any good quality, less expensive foam tips out there? Tennmak sells "ultra foam" tips that they advertise are much slower rebound and more durable then the generic red/blue imitation Complys. Any experience with these?

...I also have a bunch of Auvio (Radio Shack) tips now, which @Slater called "poor man's spiral dots"

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #29,516 of 33,689
Wonderful and quick feedback, @Tonymac136! Thank you very much. All the tips you mentioned (and more) are on my list. I picked up a set of Final E tips just the other day, and I am already keyed into the good deal on Spiral Dots on Penon. I am ordering a couple sets of generic "Sony" Hybrids to compare with the authentic sets I have. I may pick up some Spinfits on AliE, but I think they may be roughly the same price on eBay (I will check).

Besides Comply and Dekoni, are there any good quality, less expensive foam tips out there? Tennmak sells "ultra foam" tips that they advertise are much slower rebound and more durable then the generic red/blue imitation Complys. Any experience with these?

...I also have a bunch of Auvio (Radio Shack) tips now, which @Slater called "poor man's spiral dots"
Anjirui and Misodiko. Both great choices, and both available via AliExpress. Anjirui are IMHO the best "regular" type foams, while Misodiko are more like Sennheiser foams - less squishy, but denser, more solid.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #29,517 of 33,689
Anjirui and Misodiko. Both great choices, and both available via AliExpress. Anjirui are IMHO the best "regular" type foams, while Misodiko are more like Sennheiser foams - less squishy, but denser, more solid.

Ooh thanks. I'm a bit off foams as they thicken the bass a bit much but I struggle to get a good seal with silicones so I might try the others.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #29,518 of 33,689
Generic foams are mostly awful quality from what I have found. Dekoni Bulletz are much better but not very squishy if that's your jam.

Starlines, whirlwinds, spinfits are all available on AliExpress. You can also get copies of Sony Hybrids which are decent enough.

Outside of AliExpress, Spiral Dots (available from Penon for cheap), Symbios and Final Type E are all worth a look for a selection to choose from. Spirals are now more or less my default.

I'm ok with the ultra cheap generic foams on AE. I prefer foam to silicone though. Shure black foam tips (olives) being my favorite.

Once they warm up the cheap anruji or whatever-name-scrabble they come up with are ok. Worth a shot for less than $1 for 3 pairs.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #29,519 of 33,689
Ooh thanks. I'm a bit off foams as they thicken the bass a bit much but I struggle to get a good seal with silicones so I might try the others.

Flare audiophile earfoams are on sale half price ATM which is three pairs for a tenner. They don't thicken the bass, or at least nowhere near as much as standard ones due to their wide bores and "acoustic lens" geometry.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #29,520 of 33,689
Flare audiophile earfoams are on sale half price ATM which is three pairs for a tenner. They don't thicken the bass, or at least nowhere near as much as standard ones due to their wide bores and "acoustic lens" geometry.

I second this recommendation. These are the best foams I've used. Very little effect on the sound aside from taking a bit of zing out of the sibilant zone, and durable. Keep in mind they're a bit over-sized. I consider myself to have normal sized ears, and the mediums are almost too big (I use small).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back