Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #24,301 of 33,689
You are allow one $10 off $69 or more coupon for each sale. You have to exchange 1000 coins for it though. Its why I log on every day and get my 16 coins.

ah thanks, yes I have a bunch of coins I stopped collecting because I never knew how to use them other than select coupons that never seemed to work with the sellers I was using. Now I found one that accepts the select coupons so:
1) Does that 10 off 69 work on top of the select coupon?
2) Can I also trade in 200 coins for the 2 off 10, or do I only get to use either the 10 off or the 2 off and not both, or can both be used assuming I do 2 transactions?

Trying to decide before I make a mistake and cash in a bunch of coins for coupons I cannot use.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #24,302 of 33,689
Thanks for all that info. I already ponied up for the KPE awhile back, so I don't need a sidegrade. Just something different to play with which the TK ninetail should fit the bill. I saw the measurements, I like the ability to tweak it, and all reviews so far seem to give a it a thumbs up. P1 is definitely something I will consider after it runs the course. I would love a good planar IEM that isn't bulky.

You won’t be disappointed by the Nine Tail, and $75 is a super price.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #24,303 of 33,689
I thought You didn`t like Harman target?
What is weird is that amplification with my dragonfly amp/dac enhances the MH755's bass quite a bit, which puts the vocals back and creates a more "tuby", enclosed sound sensation - not good for me. But with my iPhone SE with its different, slightly higher output impedance, the bass is dialed back. So which one is Harman target?

As to earphones approaching Harman target: good examples are the Moondrop Crescent and Moondrop Kanas Pro...they measure almost identically. I do like the $30 Crescent but not so much the $180 Kanas Pro (I don't say the Kanas Pro are bad). Differences: 1) the Crescent's sound is more homogenous (they are warm across the whole spectrum); 2) $150!!! Of course is the Kanas Pro more detailed. The Crescent sounds like an expensive earphone in need of some (but not much) refinement. $30 well spent. I'll write about the crazy price differences between a company's earphones that are not justified by the sound differences imo in my very extensive and critical review of the very good but crazily priced Sennheiser IE 500 PRO...early next week.

My general criticism of the Harman Target curve is that it is too bassy and therefore the corresponding sound it not accurate. It is accurate musical reproduction, tuners should strive for in (expensive) earphones imo. The (ever changing) Harman Target curve is not written in stone as the gold standard: it is the research of a single guy, Sean Olive.

Banners and Alerts-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #24,304 of 33,689
ah thanks, yes I have a bunch of coins I stopped collecting because I never knew how to use them other than select coupons that never seemed to work with the sellers I was using. Now I found one that accepts the select coupons so:
1) Does that 10 off 69 work on top of the select coupon?
2) Can I also trade in 200 coins for the 2 off 10, or do I only get to use either the 10 off or the 2 off and not both, or can both be used assuming I do 2 transactions?

Trying to decide before I make a mistake and cash in a bunch of coins for coupons I cannot use.
I believe there are aliexpress coupons and then seller coupons. Both aliexpress and sellers can be combined, but not 2 of the same.

So this morning I made an $80 purchase from NiceHCK. I used the 10 off 69 aliexpress coupon with the $3 off 59 HCK coupon to get $13 off $80.

Hope that helps.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #24,305 of 33,689
@NeonHD How did you get that $10 off? Best I can find is $6 off with free shipping so it is close to the same price. Just curious. I like buying older ones that may be discounted but might still have a long enough hype train to warrant lower prices.
The TFZ no3 is still new, so I will wait it out. The P1 definitely has my eye, wounder how it compares to the toneking BL1.

The 'forbidden seller' offered $2.00 off every $20.00 spent through select coupons, so I got it all the way to $10 off. Unfortunately I don't think they are offering that deal anymore, so I think your best bet with this seller instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998657979.html

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #24,306 of 33,689
The (ever changing) Harman Target curve is not written in stone as the gold standard: it is the research of a single guy, Sean Olive.

So what you’re saying is that Sean Olive doesn’t speak for all 7 billion people in the world with regards to what they prefer?

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #24,307 of 33,689
Personally, I would have saved that money for TFZ No.3 or collected more and get Tin P1.

I saw the FR graph for the TFZ No.3, the sound signature didn't really seem like my cup of tea. I would probably prefer KPE much more, but that's in the $200 price range.

Jun 17, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #24,309 of 33,689
Could you refer the graph to me?

This is the FR graph of the NO3:

10267739.png

And this is the FR graph of the Nine Tail:

o1226052614217948234.jpg

NIne Tail definitely seems more of a better sound to me, and seems to follow the harman target much better.

Thank god some obscure Japanese reviewer posted a collection of these FR graphs of the NIne Tail on their blog, had to dig deep down in the search results to find them. There's more here: https://ameblo.jp/nyanpire-chu/entry-12386408735.html?frm=theme

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #24,310 of 33,689
So what you’re saying is that Sean Olive doesn’t speak for all 7 billion people in the world with regards to what they prefer?
It is not really what "they" prefer, but what is perceived as accurate reproduction. But accurate reproduction is probably the enemy of any earphone manufacturer with a huge product palette.

As to personal preferences of earphone wizards/gurus/experts across the board: some like a mid-bass punch and others prefer the slam coming from the very-low end. Helpful to know when reading their opinions on an iem.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #24,311 of 33,689
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #24,312 of 33,689
The 'forbidden seller' offered $2.00 off every $20.00 spent through select coupons, so I got it all the way to $10 off. Unfortunately I don't think they are offering that deal anymore, so I think your best bet with this seller instead: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998657979.html

ah, ok I will go with my deal then before too late. Close enough.

NIne Tail definitely seems more of a better sound to me, and seems to follow the harman target much better.

Thank god some obscure Japanese reviewer posted a collection of these FR graphs of the NIne Tail on their blog, had to dig deep down in the search results to find them. There's more here: https://ameblo.jp/nyanpire-chu/entry-12386408735.html?frm=theme

I found @crabdogs review nice too very through (with graphs for us that like to put words with graphs), as well as loomisjohnson and slater. I too wrote it off because it seemed like fitment would be weird.

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #24,313 of 33,689
Jun 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #24,314 of 33,689
I do like my VJJB K4. Nice to see them coming out with new stuff :)

The VJJB K4 was one of the few in-ears that had a very clean mid-bass hump (using wide-bore silicone eartips) that I enjoyed.

.....but only a handful of folks on the Chi-Fi threads picked up this little-known micro-driver VJJB. I quite enjoyed these tiny little slammers.

They were decent enough for Jazz standards but very good with Trip-Hop, breakbeat and Progressive House.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Round-M...d+Midnight+CD&qid=1560804888&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Ibiza-Chille...d+Classics+CD&qid=1560805106&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.discogs.com/Cassino-Laben-Feat-Marina-Puglisi-Lasting-Memories/release/822281

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #24,315 of 33,689

10267739.png

o1226052614217948234.jpg

Nine Tail is absolutely not closer to Harman. Harman target requires 10dB boost at sub-bass and a 10db 3,5kHz peak, both relative to 1kHz. Nine Tail has no bass boost and only 5dB 3,5kHz boost. Plus the drop after 5kHz is too steep in both graphs.

Edit: okay, I looked at Nine Tail's graphs elsewhere and it seems I might be wrong, because other graphs show significant bass boost and more or less 3,5kHz boost, depending on the filters. But the graph in your post is starkly dissimilar to a Harman target curve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back