Chilling/lounging music
Dec 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 26
If you like Shpongle, they are considered to be the top act in the 'psy chill' or 'psy ambient' genre. Other acts in this genre include Ott (not 'O.T.T.'), Entheogenic, Phutureprimitive, Shulman, Kaya Project, Infinity Project, Celtic Cross, Dub Trees, Androcell, anyone on the Ultimae label, etc.

Closely related to this is worldbeat. My favorite label for this type is Dakini Records, who have released the beautiful 'Jairamji - Kindred Spirits' and 'Ishq - Orchid'. Highest possible recommendation on those two.

You may also like tribal ambient, which tends to be much deeper and (in my opinion) better-produced than psy ambient. Whereas psy ambient is normally dance producers making chillout, tribal ambient is typically ambient producers (who often have decades of studio time under their belt) making rhythmic tribal music. Check out Steve Roach, Byron Metcalf, Vir Unis' rhythmic work, Na-Koja-Abad, and a few albums by Mathias Grassow and Klaus Wiese.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 26
Chopin: Nocturnes

Composer: Fryderyk Chopin
Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy
Audio CD (October 25, 1990)
SPARS Code: ADD
Number of Discs: 2
Label: Polygram Records
ASIN: B0000041QN

Chant - The Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos

Audio CD (March 15, 1994)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Angel Records
ASIN: B000002SKX

Has worked for 1,500 years, still works for me.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 26
Dec 16, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #20 of 26
I cant believe no one has mentioned
The K&D Sessions, a classic when it comes to chillout. RESET by Peace Orchestra. Suzuki by Tosca. Also all of Thievery Corporation cd's are quite good; The Mirror Conspiracy, the mix they: DJ Kicks, The Richest Man in Babylon are their 3 standouts. I also enjoy Cinematic Orchestra's: The Man With a Movie Camera, very relaxing album. There is also much IDM out there that is good for this purpose. The likes of Boards of Canada (their newest album Campfire Headphase), Shen, SubtractiveLAD, Telefon Tel Aviv, Secede, Metamatics (his From death to passwords where you are a paper airplane).

...to name some

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 26
If you like the Stax!/Volt sound, nothing chills me out like some bombastic, Hammond-heavy instrumental music from Booker T. & The MGs and The Bar-Kays (playing right now
wink.gif
).

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #25 of 26
Sasha Dobson

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #26 of 26
my friend just turned me on to
Nortec Collective- the tijuana sessions

I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back