Chicago Winter Meet: January 29,2004
Jan 28, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #256 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
I look forward to meeting you guys...see you around 11:00. You can't miss me...I'll probably be the tallest guy there. 6'7" (god, I hope I can fit in ray's basement)

Hmmm... we'll have to put you head to head with John and find out.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #258 of 270
Quote:

Any interest in a local Friday Night pre-game-get-together at a restaurant or brew house? I'm in Buffalo Grove today, with nothing to do tonight but wait for tomorrow. I'll drive anywhere in the Chicago land area.

Did I hear somebody say Strip Club?
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #259 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgardner
Any interest in a local Friday Night pre-game-get-together at a restaurant or brew house? I'm in Buffalo Grove today, with nothing to do tonight but wait for tomorrow. I'll drive anywhere in the Chicago land area.

Hmmm... KG is in Wheeling...

I get off work at 11pm tonight, if the party is still jumping call me..hehe

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #260 of 270
If we have room for one more last-minute addition, my father has expressed interest in coming along. He's not at all into audio equipment, but he asked to come with so that he can gain a greater appreciation for one of my passions. Hopefully we can get him listening to some nice gear and he's a very sociable guy, and closer to most of your ages than I am (he's 54) so I'm sure he'll find someone(s) to talk to.

I'm putting in an 18-hour day tomorrow- get up at 6, drive 6 hours to chicago, stay at the meet till 6, drive 6 hours home. Should be fun!

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #261 of 270
Sorry guys but unfortuneately I cant make it tomorrow I need to work.
frown.gif

I have to help chaperone a few buses for a ski trip tomorrow. Its a program that the ski shop I work at does to get kids up to a local mountain (Wilmot Mountain) on the weekend.

Be sure to have fun and remember to post A LOT of pictures and reviews.
biggrin.gif

Have fun...im jealous of you all,
Dan

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #262 of 270
Heh. Well, the likelyhood that my DIY CD player will be in attendance has jumped from 0% to ~25%. Let's see what I can get done in the next 13 hours.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #263 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Heh. Well, the likelyhood that my DIY CD player will be in attendance has jumped from 0% to ~25%. Let's see what I can get done in the next 13 hours.
biggrin.gif

Well it's not like you have to drive five hours tomorrow.

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #264 of 270
CPW is at Ray's house now and he and Ray are setting up. I'm picking up Justin/antness/headamp at the airport in a few and things are looking good. We've had some amp delivery problems and I might have to drive home during the day tomorrow or have my wife bring out some amps that did'nt make it on time. Hopefully they will arrive and we'll get to enjoy them.

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #265 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
...my wife...is going to prepare a humble meal for us all to have while enjoying our meet.
JUDE you better make it,man, I will make sure to put you share aside...

FedEx Saturday ship me my share of the food, Ray.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Wait a second... Jude is coming!?!?

Unfortunately, fellas, no, I won't be attending this meet. I held out slim hope that I'd be able to, but my schedule just won't permit it.

While in Chicago on business a little while ago, I stopped by Ray's place and, along with Fred and one of my business partners (Jack), got a sneak peak at Ray's Raptor prototype (it's a small two-piece tube amp), among other things. It sounded so good, I couldn't get it out of my head, and so I called Ray to place an order -- so let me know what you cats think of that one, as I haven't heard a production unit yet.

Other things I'd appreciate some impressions on include amps based on Kevin's Dynahi design; the just-announced HeadRoom Coda and Overture, individually, and as a system; and I've been waiting with great anticipation on more impressions of the new Meier Audio PreHead MkII SE and Eartube.

Since I won't be able to make it, and since I'll be sitting at a desk for a better part of this weekend for work, I have, on my home office desk, three wonderful amps to listen to all weekend -- the HeadRoom Max 2004 with stepped attenuator, the Meier Audio PreHead (MkI), and the Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2. No, I won't have the company of all you Head-Fi'ers; no, I won't have quite the variety of gear to listen to; and, no, I won't get to enjoy any of Mrs. Samuels' cooking -- but I'll make the best of it.

Sorry I'm missing all of you for this one. Have a great time! Can't wait for the impressions.

b.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #266 of 270
Okay, it's a little over two hours before the start of the meet.

Here is my final equipment list:

Sources:
20GB 4G iPod
Sony D-EJ2000 PCDP

Amp:
Grado RA-1 amp

Headphones:
AKG K240S
Grado SR-325 (unmodded, with TTVJ flat pads)
Sennheiser HD600 (with Cardas cable)
Sony MDR-7509

Accessories:
Several mini-to-RCA cables to compare
And batteries, of course!

I've decided not to bring canalphones to the meet. I just cannot stand them being messed up by other people using them.

And just so that the meet equipment will have fully charged batteries, I will be listening to a portable CD player and headphones which will not be in the equipment list while I commute.

Have fun,
ILoveJazz

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #268 of 270
Sorry for the late notice, but I also will not be able to attend
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #269 of 270
I'll be there around 2pm, I hope is not too late. See you

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #270 of 270
I'm really dissapointed that I won't be attending. I was really looking forward to checking out all the great gear and meeting all the knowledgeable and enthusiastic people who enjoy the benefits of headphone listening. I've had a head cold for the past week and I was hoping I would be better by today so I could attend and see all the people from the Head-Fi community. But my ears are still stuffed so I wouldn't really enjoy listening or be able to listen critically and I also wouldn't want to subject anybody to my germs. So here I am stuck at home.
Even though I haven't been a member that long the generosity, knowledge and enthusiasm that you guys all share make this a great site for all that come here.

Hope all who attend have a great time and enjoy the sounds and company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back