Chicago Winter Meet 2008 impressions
Feb 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

sejarzo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm jumping the gun, but I wanted to post that I am already very impressed at the way xnothingpoetic/Mike has taken care of all the details and stayed on top of things so it will all come off smoothly.

Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow and seeing some old acquaintances.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 62
Tomorrow will be my first meet and I'm pretty excited!

edit: x2 on Mike for the organization and updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 62
Someone left a power strip in the room. PM me if you are missing one.

First time hosting a meet- and going to one. I hope everyone enjoyed it. The doorman said around 12 people did not show, sorry you guys couldn't make it. And my condolences to Ray's father, I am very sorry to hear that but happy you could even find time to make it.

And the meet lasted until around 4:00, but technically ended at around 6:00 when everyone was gone.

Sideshow, click pic.

I would like to thank everyone, without you this would not have been possible. Thanks you sejarzo, Absorbine_Sr, morphsci and anyone else who donated or even offered to help out. Billy, thanks for the coffee and Ray, thanks for lunch, and yes- I am sure I am fine
wink.gif
And thanks to all for bringing all of the gear, or even coming. It felt like Sennheiser and Grado heaven. And blent(?), you can ship the k-horns over here whenever you get the time
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 62
It was a great meet--seriously, Mike, everyone was very impressed with the job you did for someone who'd never even been to a meet before.

Excellent slideshow!

Sorry about the sync issues with my 0404 USB, Kevin--that was something that I'd never experienced before. As soon as I got home and ran the driver update on my notebook to match the firmware upgrade that was part of the new driver/firmware package (and which I'd preformed earlier this week via my desktop, not my notebook) it no longer had any skipping/distortion problem.

Missed hearing the Pico, but was impressed with the Predator. Great warm sound that didn't give up on any details, and drove HD600's amazingly well on USB power only.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....sejarzo, Absorbine_Sr, morphsci.....

Ah yes.....I had wanted someone to take a picture of "Team Bald(ing?)-Fi", but forgot to ask!

Two years ago at the Hancock meet, Absorbine_Sr's source.....Toshiba DVD player. Today, Absorbine_Sr's source.........Resolution Opus 21.

Can anyone else say: "Sorry about your wallet!"

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a great meet--seriously, Mike, everyone was very impressed with the job you did for someone who'd never even been to a meet before.

Excellent slideshow!

Missed hearing the Pico, but was impressed with the Predator. Great warm sound that didn't give up on any details, and drove HD600's amazingly well on USB power only.

I'd like to echo these thoughts... great job, and nice slideshow! I didn't even see the Pico, or that pair of AT woodies (W5000?)... I would have liked to hear these. It was very nice to meet everyone, and thanks Mike for putting this together, and everyone for showing up!

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even see the Pico, or that pair of AT woodies (W5000?)... I would have liked to hear these

That's because the w5000's came late, when you had to leave... and the pico is so small you just couldn't see.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 62
Nice slideshow Mike!

Steve, when the 0404 wasn't clicking/skipping it sounded really good. I'm seriously considering picking one up. It'll double as a DAC/amp and give me a good I/O for recording.

I never got the chance to try those W5000 that I saw in the slideshow, or the DT990 and most of those amps. I feel like I cheated a little because I didn't put my stuff out (SR225/SF5 Pro/SCL3) on the table.. I didn't really have a source other than my iPod and I thought it would have been weird to just lay them down on the table. Next time, though..

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 62
An excellent meet. Sorry the Zana Deux was DOA and couldn't be heard. But the Opus 21 sounded pretty sweet through morphsci's GS-X.

Mike, if that power strip has a really long cord, it might be mine. No big deal, I can get it from you at a later date as I only use it at meets.

Thanks again to Mike for hosting.

Quote:

Two years ago at the Hancock meet, Absorbine_Sr's source.....Toshiba DVD player. Today, Absorbine_Sr's source.........Resolution Opus 21.

Yeah, I've moved up the ladder a bit.
biggrin.gif
Too bad I couldn't show off the whole rig today. Oh well, there's always another meet coming.

A_Sr.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, when the 0404 wasn't clicking/skipping it sounded really good...

It was one of those Murphy's Law things....I actually had enough time before leaving home to run the driver update package, but figured that it was unlikely that there'd be a problem with a driver/firmware mismatch, because in the past I'd switched back and forth between public release and beta drivers with no problems, regardless of firmware upgrades.

Computer-based audio still requires commitment to a learning curve, I suppose.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 62
Mike, Excellent job of planning and hosting! It was my first meet too and I had a great time meeting everyone finally. You and your Dad are welcome to come out by me and listen to the Khorns anytime, but they have to stay here, sorry.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 62
This meet = awesome.

Thanks to everyone for bringing the gears and to our most gracious hosts.

My personal favs were:
Balanced k701
ATH-W5000
Pico (w/DAC)
Predator

The 701 is on the "list", but I could see myself in a Pico or AT woodie in not too long.

I got back today and my im716's are almost completely gone in the right channel (I used them at the beginning of the meet to test 'em, so it happened at the meet). I think it is just the cable, but now I dunno what to do with them. I just wish someone would have told me when they noticed.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 62
Wow seriously someone who has never even been to a headphone meet actually hosts their first one and it was a great meet at that!. Thanks to xnothingpoetic (Mike) for hosting it, and even my Parents helped a bit hosting my first meet also so please Thank your Father "Ray (i think that's his name)" for helping. it was a great location with plenty enough power and easy parking, yeah parking costs but in the south loop that part of the deal so no worries. the Pizza was really good also and we all had plenty of soda to go around, for sure it was a great first meet hosted!!!!!!

I was planning on throwing my i-phone with the stock cradle/dock audio out to one of Rays Raptor or other amps but The amps were not there as planned. I should of brought the B-52 cause that would of been a weird combo for sure but i am telling you people the iphone with the stock cradle/dock audio out is a damn good source (at least for being a phone)..ok its not a damn good source but its a surprise at least.

the Funny theme for the meet seemed to be computer or ipod type setups for the most part, even the older generation of Headphone lovers seem to be more into these setups surprisingly just as the younger crowd. I was talking to one of my non audio friends about how the cd is on its way out after finding amazons mp3 site and what i seen today seems to show exactly what i was talking about. there are so many affordable ways to pull out some damn good sound out of your computer sources and now with products like the Wadia ipod dock and such the digital way of source is for surely on its way to popularity. these days if your buying a hifi cd player you better think about it having digi in or you'll be stuck buying another dac for your computer/ipod setup in the future.

I got to hear the Pico finally and i got to hear the Predator also.
I listened to the Pico with some Steve Ray Vaughn and some 600's for a bit of time so now i can see where these pico fanboys are coming from. seemed to be very detailed and a good first hifi source for the starting audio lover. same goes with the predator only to me it has more warmth but its along those pico lines also. of course both amps i hear were on gear that i was not used to and to music files i was not 100% used to also so take my impression as a quick meet impression at most. i would love to spend more time with both in the future though but there really is no demand for such a product cause if i am running a dac from the computer i have the Benchmark usb for now. if i was starting my audio journey over and had no gear these two pieces would be on the top of my list to audition esp after hearing a touch from both today, i really don't think you can go wrong with either as a first time source.

Marzie had his modded sony playstation one with a DIY Pimeta powering the DT770 cans. I liked this setup cause of the involvement it brings to the music. it was calm and had great Sound stage with good low end control.
nice rig!

I heard the Cambridge Azur 840c to Headamp GSX to 701 balanced by alo setup morphsci brought this time also. all i can say from this setup is i think i need to step up my plans for a balanced 701 sooner then i thought before! the problem for me is deciding on what balanced cable i will go with cause i need a 20ft run of it when i do so the cost is going to be up there for that alone.

got to sample some of the music sejarzo brought out in cd form and file form.
ever see someone who listens to the best recorded music out there? think LFF kind of person and you have Sejarzo's music library! i love meeting people like this cause you walk away with some great sounding music and that's what this hobby is all about rite? now i need to find me some John Beasley and look at Linn's downloading site after this post. thanks man for the knowledge!

Germania (Stacy) had her Pink sr80's out with a flashy ipod touch case..haha
the Grados look good in pink, like punk rocker but vintage look. never can be surprised by the ever modable beauty of a Grado headphone cause there really is not many other styles out that can change look so easy and pull it off so nicely in the end.

Blent brought out the new Klipsch Custom 3 headphones among other gear. i made sure to get a good seal from them and listened out of the headphone out of my iphone and ipod classic. the jack on the Klipsch's could easily fit in the iphone's recessed jack with no adapters needed. the cable on them is a cloth type and the fit is the Shure style rubber plugs that go over your ear. the over the ear bracket to me seems to be all look cause once they are sealed in your canal they hold themselves in with no help needed by the over the ear bracket looking things. the sound seemed to be really far left and far right detailed with a slope in highs that comes from the center. think Shure sound with dim highs in your center but lots of detail coming from your left and right sides. they would good but the Klipsch seemed to be no e500 killers atleast in this listening. it was nice to finally hear the new kids on the iem block though!

i am not sure who brought out the Single power extreme with a Meridian 508.20 but this was a nice sounding rig. listened to this with some 600's and i would love to spend more time with it in a quieter room. yummy Meridian sound with nice tubes...yummy.

i just figured out there was a Millet max there and i did not listen to it!! uggh!
i guess i will have to wait until Florida this may. this is an amp i really want to hear though...someday..soon.

Damn Zana duex being out of order! Mike i am telling you its a Chicago thing and Eddie current amps. first my hd25 and now this..we are cursed..haha

i always end up doing more talking then listening but to be honest that's part of the reason why i love headphone meets, cause of the people and the knowledge you gain off their experience in gear and music. i feel bad for not bringing any gear but the closer and easier the meet is to me the lazier i seem to be, i need to work on that.
redface.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....the Funny theme for the meet seemed to be computer or ipod type setups for the most part, even the older generation of Headphone lovers seem to be more into these setups surprisingly just as the younger crowd......

got to sample some of the music sejarzo brought out in cd form and file form.
ever see someone who listens to the best recorded music out there? think LFF kind of person and you have Sejarzo's music library! i love meeting people like this cause you walk away with some great sounding music and that's what this hobby is all about rite? now i need to find me some John Beasley and look at Linn's downloading site after this post. thanks man for the knowledge!

Gee, umm, thanks, I guess, Billy.
rolleyes.gif

"LFF"...does that mean "low frequency fanatic"....or maybe ..."loves fine fiddling"....and not "like Fred Flintstone", I hope?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back