Chicago mini-meet on 8-2-08 Impressions
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 39
Great vids mang!

I expect to gather quite a bit of still and vid content from the now forming Houston Mini-Meet ...

Of course, I'll post gathered content after the day/fact ...

Wish I could have joined you all.

Best. As always ...

.joel

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #17 of 39
Looks like a fantastic meet, and lots of nice goodies.
biggrin.gif

-Nick

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #19 of 39
This was my first time for Headfi meet and I'm glad to meet all the nice people. Germania has hosted a great meet and she has prepared absolutely everything that may be needed in the meet. I was impressed with Ray's talk, his workmanship and diligence he puts in his business.

I was able to listen to some headphones for the first time. The R10 out of hornet and Meridian CDP was as great sounding and luxurious as I thought it would be. But I think I like my K1000 better for their transparency, if it is driven by a good power amp.

I liked the single power amp and glad to be able to compare markld D5000 and my silver wire recabled SA5000, since I read about D5000 recently. It took me about 10 seconds to realize I won't like D5000 since it does not seem to be as transparent as I would like for classical and acoustical music. But the bass was quite nice.

I'm sorry to bring wrong power supply for my source. This caused people to listen to K1000 only in either "too loud" or "not loud enough" volumes, since my F1 power amp no volume control except 1 attenuation level. This is enough for me since I normally use digital volume control on my source. But I'm glad to hear that it still introduced K1000 to some people and they liked it.

K1000 is not only rare, but also requires a good power amp, which often becomes quite heavy. I'm guessing this makes it people more likely not want carry their set-up to the meet. My current favorite amp for K1000 is heavily modified Dared 845 SET (read my id...), which is >80lb... But F1 is also pretty good light enough, so I will try to bring my set-up (with right power supply) in November meet if possible...

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #20 of 39
Ok, i found a few that i recognize in the pics and video....but some introductions to those i didnt recognize would be nice. I saw Jgonino, Ray, Skylab, Germania, i think i picked out Billy....but who is everyone?
Looks like a great meet! I like the look of the Darkvoice in the pic, and the S2 Ipod dock is sweet!!!!
I want to hear the new RS71a !!!
How does it sound next to the old RS71???
Looks like an awesome meet!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 39
I said this in our original thread, but thank you Germainia for hosting. It was great meeting all of you. it is definitely intimidating to walk into your first meet, see all this gear, not know anyone, and expect to have a good time. But, everyone there was really nice, and it turned out to be pretty easy to talk to people once I had something to ask or say. lol. so thank you all again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but some introductions to those i didnt recognize would be nice. I saw Jgonino, Ray, Skylab, Germania, i think i picked out Billy....but who is everyone?

I'm one of the noob's, Thats me in the blue ringer tshirt and khaki shorts. name's Keith, nice to meet you all.

I am the ultimate version of a noob, as I have NO gear, this was a very cool first meet. My goal was just to try everything out, which I did.

The only headphones I had listened to up till this point were the sennheiser 600,650, and all grados except the rs1 and gs1000.
What a treat to experience Denon in all its forms! I have to say, I was very impressed by the 2000s. although I believe they were all modded slightly. I think the only completely stock Denon was skylabs 5000. either way, I was really impressed by the soundstage and punch of the denon. I felt that the 5000 was slightly less forward in the high end, maybe I should say silkier.. not sure how to describe it. I found the bass strong, but not overwhelming. I'm not sure If I'm a basshead, I dont think I am, but it has to be there. I think I still need some more experience with them to really say anything worth listening to.

It was very cool to get to listen to the gs1000. I was surprised at the amount of bass to come out of these. I had been a big fan of the rs2, but always felt the bass to be lacking. Lacking not in clarity, but "fullness" of bass. I always feel the bass goes away too quickly on the grados. especially anything outside jazz or classical. at least the limited experience I have with them. anyway, the gs1000. The grado detail was there, nice sparkle on top. Soundstage was bigger, but less then I thought it would be. a bit hard to really hear them in a room full of people. they are so Completely open! The bass was nice, it held on so much longer!! one complaint is that they fit really loosely. I suppose that could be fixed with a little bending, but I really felt like they would fall off if I looked down at anything. almost floating on the ear. having said that, I will just say that chet baker's italian sessions/grado rs2-gs1000=heaven. Chets playing is killer, and with the grados, you hear every reflection off of every wall. and it sounds like an actual trumpet, not that chris botti overproduced blowing into a velvet drape kind of sound. sorry to chris botti fans.

So, I got to try Ray's R10s. having never heard of them before, I was pretty amazed. the soundstage is huge, bass was fat and round, and I liked the detail a lot, although my personal taste is for a little more. not much mind you, but just a tad. I listened to it out of his Raptor, and the prototype thing. I am trying to be critical, but I can stop now, they were amazing. I'll admit that I ended up back at that seat quite a few times. I'll have to pick up a pair at circuit city LOL..

I was really looking forward to hearing the K701s, and they did show up, although they were set up with balanced xlr connects, which limited where we could actually plug them in. I was hoping to hear them through a tube amp, as I often read that they need that. didnt happen. But, I did get to listen to them out of the headroom balanced amp, and they sounded pretty nice. As I have been warned, the bass was a bit light. I dont know how much of that would be helped by a tube amp or not. further listening will be necessary.

There were so many cans and amps there that I had never heard of, that I was pretty overwhelmed. I read the impressions with everyone referencing a million different model numbers, and I really loose track. BUT, I am a noob. so I will see you cats at the Chiunifi, where I will be, notebook in hand, so I can remember what I actually did.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 39
Sorry guy, I forgot your name until I read your post ^ I probably didn't say, but this was my first meet also. Name's Scott. I didn't see any clear shots of meself. I think maybe a shot from the rear ( the guy with the huge bald spot) listening to Rays rig at the table, in one of the videos. It was a pleasure to meet you Keith.
I totally look forward to seeing you in November, where we will sample some more awesome gear
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 39
I truely enjoyed the hours I spend at this mini meet. I would like to thank Germania for her warm hospitality that made us feel at home. I also enjoyed seeing all good friends, new & old & enjoyed talking to each & every one of you. I was thrilled by the workmanship of those wooden phones as looking at the head-fier who crafted them you get even more amazed. Great sounding too. Was pleasure seeing Skylab with his two lovely, very well mannered, children. Elrod Tom is always a pleasure seeing you. Billy, Chicago meet is no meet with out you. As to the Host, she is indeed vey talented lady. great looking amp you have there.
Ray Samuels

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were the rosewood cups for the D-2000's a one-off thing? Or is it a mod that is being produced for the masses?

At the moment, just a one-off project (was just seeing what I could come up with). Things could always change though...

Ray - (As you said about Billy), a Chicago meet without your presence is not a true meet either
smily_headphones1.gif
. I am amazed at your sincerity and willingness to help and support those of us who are attempting our own modding/building. Thank you for the kind words and see you in November.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These meets make me want to go to the US. Man, Im in headphone hell here in the sticks
biggrin.gif

Considering your location, I am not sure how vibrant the headphone hifi scene is in the Phillippines
biggrin.gif

BTW - I am filipino and I think there may be a total of 5 filipinos on this board that I know of. So don't feel too bad
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 39
Actually theres one guy in manila with a great collection of cans including stax, grados, alessandros, ATs, and many more
biggrin.gif
I don't know if he is in this forum but the only other guys I know I found out from the Philippine audio forum wiredstate.com.

By the way, recstar24, haven't seen you post in a while... still loving your rs1s?
biggrin.gif
Fld777 has one and lives in Cebu which is just an island away from me. Still havent listened to those legendary cans yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back