Chicago Area Meet - Saturday April 25 - Part of the Ear Gear Expo at AXPONA 2015
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #76 of 204
sheesh...

This is pretty basic. People want to see the HE-1000. Hifiman is undoubtably aware. It's perfectly reasonable to want know why they aren't bringing it.

Of course Hifiman can do whatever they want. If they wanted to communicate with their fan base in the best way possible though, an explanation would be appreciated. Not sure why it's so difficult to entertain that sentiment... escalating it into some kind of scolding about entitlement is what's unreasonable here.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #77 of 204
Just to clarify, the change was Peter / HiFiMAN deciding to attend EGX and therefore no reason to send anything to me to bring to the meet. HiFiMAN has always been very good at sending me equipment for the Chicago Head-Fiers to hear. Fang and Ray were at the early ChiUniFi supporting the group. I am sure Peter would have sent them.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #79 of 204
sheesh...

This is pretty basic. People want to see the HE-1000. Hifiman is undoubtably aware.

I agree.

It's perfectly reasonable to want know why they aren't bringing it.

I agree.  Though I'd like to point out that they never said they weren't bringing it.

Of course Hifiman can do whatever they want. If they wanted to communicate with their fan base in the best way possible though, an explanation would be appreciated.

I still agree.

That an explanation would be appreciated is obvious.  Than an explanation might even be advisable is good business sense.  But I do not agree that one is owed or that they are otherwise obligated to explain.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #80 of 204

I agree.

I agree.  Though I'd like to point out that they never said they weren't bringing it.

I still agree.

That an explanation would be appreciated is obvious.  Than an explanation might even be advisable is good business sense.  But I do not agree that one is owed or that they are otherwise obligated to explain.

No explanation is needed.  I think there was just confusion as I was suggesting they would not be at the meet but instead was trying to announce HiFiMAN was going to be at Axpona.  Sorry for all the confusion.  It is actually better as now all their "stuff" will be available for 3 days and not just during the meet.  I can see some head-fiers parking at their table :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #83 of 204

And I actually looked up a restaurant......
Anyway guys. I have a bunch of gear I could bring, but everything I have will be present at the show, so I am torn. I might just bring my Nikon D7000 and call it a day.

I think there is going to be a lot of this.  So, who here is bringing gear to the meet portion of this?  and what are you bringing?  As this is completely different then what we usually do, I think a lot of people are torn.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #84 of 204
In the room that will hold out meet gear, will there be any kind of monitoring or security? The room will likely be seeing traffic outside of the head-fi community. Need some more info here. Hunter?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #85 of 204
Well, I had planned on bringing by Bottlehead S.E.X., but I recently let out some magic smoke while doing some tweaking.  I don't know if it will be resuscitated by the show.  If I get mine by then, I thought about bringing an LHLabs Pulse Xfi, especially since they aren't going to be there (a big miss on their part), but who knows.  At the same time, I only have a one day pass and would like to wander around.  If there is little to no security, and most Headfi'ers aren't bringing gear this time, I might bring nothing other than my HD650's so I can use it as a reference.

I think that it will be tough to get as much social/sharing at a big show like Axpona.  It's great that more vendors are showing up because of it, but it looks like with an entry fee and so much else to look at, that very few people are going to bring their own gear and hang out.  We might just have to focus on having more, smaller meets to keep up with each other.  

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #86 of 204
In the room that will hold out meet gear, will there be any kind of monitoring or security? The room will likely be seeing traffic outside of the head-fi community. Need some more info here. Hunter?

I'm not sure if many of you have had a chance to attend a meet outside of Chicago, but events like this take place all over the country with little to no incident. I think Warren provided a great outline to this same question (that usually comes up) in the L.A. meet thread.

While I understand your trepidation, I should note that it would literally be impossible for someone other than you to watch your own gear.  
redface.gif

There are going to be many people there, wandering in and out with gear of their own - some of which may look similar to gear already in the room - as well as numerous backpacks, messenger bags and the like.  There is simply no way that anyone other than the owner of said gear can be expected to memorize which gear belongs to whom in any given room - where there are dozens of rigs setup.  This is especially true of hotel personnel who have little to no knowledge of the hobby.

So in the end, everyone ultimately accepts responsibility and liability over their own gear.  As such, it incumbent upon us all - both members and exhibitors alike - to watch over own own gear.  This is the way it has been done for years, at meets and shows, and it has traditionally been quite effective.  

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #90 of 204
Major bummer!

I was really looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday but was just informed I have a wedding to photograph that very same day...I have a two-day pass so will be attending Friday and Sunday instead of Fri-Sat. Hopefully some of you will be there Sunday as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back