Cheapest reliable web retailer for buying a turntable.
Apr 11, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 21
With the little rat, would the sound degrade as the batteries started dying?

Apr 11, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
With the little rat, would the sound degrade as the batteries started dying?

Probably, with alkalines, but a good NiMH holds its voltage until the charge is almost gone, and won't degrade. (do a search on "Plainview"- it's a unique battery that has higher real voltage than any other 9v NiMH I know about)

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 21
I think I'm going to risk the Parasound Pre-amp. Audioasylum has some kind words on it for its price (namely that it's better than the phono stages in consumer receivers) and there is a $50 after market upgrade that can be done to further improve it. Also, Parasound does make some decent stereo pre amps and amplifiers so maybe they know what they’re doing.

If I don’t like it, I’ll just return it.

Now, about phono cartridges: What’s the difference between moving coil and moving magnet cartridges?

I’m probably going to replace the stock cartridge on the MMF 2 in a couple months when I can afford it and I’ll be looking at a sub $150 cartridge to try. Are there different sonic characteristics between the Grado, Shure, Ortofon, Rega, and Audio Technica cartridges in my price range?

What’s your favorite budget cartridge?

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 21
The Parasound sounds like a good choice. Audio Advisor is also very good about returns if you don't like something from them.

From a functional standpoint, moving coils may have very low output, although some are now high output. Also, the stylus isn't user replaceable on a moving coil. Once it's worn out, you get a new cartridge usually. There is no such thing as a budget moving coil (sub $150, anyway).

Moving magnets are higher output only. Almost all inexpensive cartridges are going to be moving magnet designs. Grado uses a "moving iron" design, but I forgot details long ago.

Sonically, my favorite budget cartridges have always been Grado's. At the low end of the price scale, they won't have the detail or the low end you get as price climbs. What they do is to get the midrange right. They tend toward warmth, and are almost always musical. Note: in some systems, Grado cartridges hum. If you hear what sounds like a ground loop, and can't find one, a Grado may be the culprit. No telling when this will occur, but it does.

I've got an Ortofon OM-5E, but it doesn't really ring my chimes, so to speak, and an OM-30 Super (good, but out of the price range). I'd take a Grado over them.

Most of the other cartridges I've heard are in a higher price range.

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 21
I don't have any experience with the Music Hall turntables...But Iwould recommend that you save up and consider something in the $500 range. Back around 1995 I had a Rotel turntable that retailed for about $500. I believe it was based on the cheap Rega. (It was made in U.K. and looked like the Rega) I used it with a $300 Ortofon high output MC and the $200 phono stage that Rotel had at the time. The Rotel 'table replaced a comparably priced Denon and the Rotel was sooooo much better.

The sound was incredible with my Magnepan/Bryston system. I couldn't believe the quality of sound that I got. I stopped listening to CD's for about 4 mos.......

I also had the Db Systems allignment protractor. This probably isn't necessary if you have the dealer professionally install the cartridge.

If you are getting into vinyl you MUST buy the VPI 16.5 record cleaner. It works great and gets the surface noise down to practically nothing with a good record. It even made an improvement with new records. I think that record cleaner is probably as important as getting a decent turntable.

Welcome to analog. You wont be dissapointed.

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 21
Sol, you should seriously consider the Little Rat when you're talking about that kind of budget and spend the extra on a better table, it's much more important. Do a search at Vinyl Asylum. I use NIMH rechargeable batteries and have no problems with loss of quality as the charge decreases. It's pretty much there and then it's gone. Hard to go way wrong at $25. I also know you're a DIYer so if you want to spend some money you should definitely consider the bottlehead seduction. I won't try to advise on the table except to say you should definitely get something with a standard cartridge mount (P or half inch) rather than anything that requires you to stick to one thing.

Would you consider a used table?

From what I know the main advantage to heavier vinyl is resistance to warpage. Don't pay a whole lot extra just for that.

Also, as in all things involved with this hobby, it's a slippery slope. Prepare to pay. Record cleaning equipment costs $20 to the sky(the more expensive vacuum machines don't do a better job, they just make it easier, look at the bottom of the barrel Nitty Gritty or the KAB EV-1). Proper storage is important. Suddenly it's too dry and you need a humidifier, or better furnace air filter. Then it seems to make sense to pay $40 for a four disc heavy pressing of an album rather than $15 for the cd. Then you decide you like vinyl so much you need a better table... and you thought headphone gear was pricey
very_evil_smiley.gif
Welcome to analog. It's worth it if you can handle the beating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back