Cheapest reliable web retailer for buying a turntable.
Apr 10, 2003 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Got the vinyl bug and I want a cheap, entry-level turntable like the MMF-1 (it has to be under $200) that sounds good. It must come shipped with a tone arm and cartridge to get me started.

Audio advisor has the MMF-1 for $179 and Music Direct lists the MMF-1 at $199 (but their print catalog says $179 so I guess I can call).

Thoughts?

I guess I should also get a record brush.

Is it hard to calibrate a turntable? Do I need one of those protractor thingies?

[edit] And what's the deal with 180g vinyl?

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 21
Sol-
I have ordered several things through Audio Advisor and been very pleased with the service.
I just got a Record Doctor 2 record cleaner from them and it arrived three days after I placed the order.
John

Apr 11, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 21
biggrin.gif

I know Audio Advisor is reliable, but does anyone know an equally good place that has this type of item for less?

And, I’m probably going to want to buy a phono pre amp also. Same restrictions on price (under $200). Any thoughts on the Creek OBH-8 MM, Parasound PPH-100, DB Systems DB-8HG MC, or Pro-Ject Phono Box MM/MC?

Apr 11, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/

None other than HeadRoom's own Todd, the sales guy. Don't know about inexpensive, but honest as the day is long.

Thanks for the link. It's a bit rich for my blood right now (cheapest table there is $500). But, I bookmarked it for later purchases.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 21
Most places don't discount very much visibly, however, there are deals to be found. Demo tables in "as new" condition will sell for much less than new, and carry the same warranty. Some places have sales on a regular basis, and you just need to watch for what you're looking for. Places to keep an eye on (and be on their mailing lists!):

www.elusivedisc.com
www.amusicdirect.com
www.acousticsounds.com
(these are just a few...there are several others)

Some dealers sell demo equipment through audiogon...it's worth watching.

Apr 11, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the sites to bookmark!

I just noticed that the MMF-1 "comes with a fixed tonearm that is set up only for the Music Hall Magic cartridge. The tonearm is non-adjustable, and no other cartridge can be fitted on it."
frown.gif

I'd like to be able to try different cartridges. Seems like my only budget choice is the MMF-2.1 and that's a bit more than I want to spend.

Apr 11, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Raven2k4
Spend some money on a good Grado cartridge. I've had one for years (model number slips my mind and the unit is downstairs and I'm lazy).

That's why I want a table that has a tone arm that will let me roll cartridges. I’m disappointed that the MMF-1 only allows Music Hall cartridges, guess something has to give at that price since aside from the tonearm and cartridge, the MMF-1 is the same as the MMF-2.

Guess I'll go the extra bill on the MMF-2.

So, for the sub $150 pre-amp: The Parasound or the Sumiko?

Apr 11, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
So, for the sub $150 pre-amp: The Parasound or the Sumiko?

I haven't heard the Parasound, but I prefer the $25 battery powered phono amp from Radio Shack to the Sumiko ProJect PhonoBox
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I haven't heard the Parasound, but I prefer the $25 battery powered phono amp from Radio Shack to the Sumiko ProJect PhonoBox
tongue.gif

So that one's crap then?

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

So that one's crap then?

I could never get anything resembling a high end out of a PhonoBox. It could be a Sumiko sound, because I was never thrilled with their cartridges either. The Radio Shack phono amp is surprisingly good (do a search on "Little Rat" in the vinyl asylum at audioasylum.com). The NAD can usually be found at $100 or a little under, and it's not bad. Not great, but not bad. I'd tend to go for the Parasound in the price range, if only due to greater potential. I've never heard it though.

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 21
You might want to stretch your phono pre budget a tad and consider the Gram Amp 2SE (available at lpgear.com). I'm running one now with a MMF-7 and really like it. Huge soundstage (width, height and depth), tight fast DEEP bass, smooth and rich. It's not much to look at and will only work with MM and High Output MC carts but damn.. it sure brings out the goodness of analog lps. Here is the Gram Slee website link for more info: http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/
They also have the Gram amp 1 and 2 which cost less but I haven't heard them.
Have fun with your journey to Vinyl!

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

And, I’m probably going to want to buy a phono pre amp also. Same restrictions on price (under $200). Any thoughts on the Creek OBH-8 MM, Parasound PPH-100, DB Systems DB-8HG MC, or Pro-Ject Phono Box MM/MC?

Sol-

Although you did not list it, I can suggest you steer clear of the Music Hall MMF Phono Pack ($90) I just bought it thinking it would be a good match for my MMF 7 turntable...but the output is really low. I can crank my amp all the way up and not even wince. And I am not even a "volume" kind of guy.

I am also looking for a different phono stage. I considered the Radio Shack...but would rather have one that runs off AC than a battery I need to change. I wonder if an AC adaptor is available for the Little Rat?

Apr 11, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
I am also looking for a different phono stage. I considered the Radio Shack...but would rather have one that runs off AC than a battery I need to change. I wonder if an AC adaptor is available for the Little Rat?

The Little Rat is a good starter stage, but you do get more as you go up in price. Parasound, Rega, NAD and several others make decent phono solid state phono stages. It's worth haunting Audiogon, because there are decent tubed phono stages you can get for under $300 (the Cary I have was just $250).

Using an AC adapter with the Little Rat would probably defect one of its main assets: lack of AC noise in the signal. There are some very expensive phono stages that are going to battery packs for power, rather than AC, in order to keep the signal noise-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back