Cheapest place to buy cable?
Jul 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 11
I've purchased wire/cable from two places with good results. I'll let you decide which fits your budget:

1) Bought 20+ feet of Mogami Starquad 2534 at local Guitar Center for $0.75 a foot (if I remember correctly). They sell it in large spools near the RCA cables and such. If you don't have a GC, I'd bet that a local music store might have something similar.  The 2534 is a thicker cable (labeled "microphone cable") that reviews here describe as indestructible and quite nice for many applications. I built two RCA cables with it recently, and plan to recable some Grados SR-80s for a friend this weekend. You can use use it with the shielding and rubber jacket, or you can take it apart and just use the 4 wires inside. Mogami also makes a narrower diameter cable. If you go to the store, just make sure the cable you buy has the correct number of wire strands inside.

2) For recabling my Denon D5000 recently, I chose to step up to some "fancy" wire from Double Helix Cables. It was $50 with shipping added for 20ft (which made a 5ft braided cable). It might be too close to your rejected price point above, but it's an easy-to-use wire that is attractive and sounds very good. I won't make any claims if it sounds better than the stock cable, as it would be unscientific comparison from memory.

Finally, some people here use Ethernet cable for their recables. I don't know the type to by (Cat 5 or 5e or whatever) or the process to use it. A search should turn up lots of instructions.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
What's the best place to buy cable for rewiring headphones? I have some headphones I plan to rewire and most of the stuff I'm turning up is in the 80$+ range.

Double Helix Cables, Peter is a funny guy to talk to and his product looks and feels amazing. The quality is very high and it will be immediate once you receive your order.

I PAY for his stuff, it's really that good. It looks great as a quad braid coming off a set of Grados

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Can anybody link me to a site where i can buy cheap silver wire? For a lod i already found 1 (alloaodio) this is so expensive

Homegrown Audio and VH Audio. Both of them I used to use in my amateur days with great success. Homegrown sells prebraided cable which you just need to terminate. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Homegrown Audio and VH Audio. Both of them I used to use in my amateur days with great success. Homegrown sells prebraided cable which you just need to terminate. 

Thank i'll order some today.
Is there already a sleeve around this cable? http://www.homegrownaudio.com/26-awg-copper-wire-fep-dielectric/

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Thank i'll order some today.
Is there already a sleeve around this cable? http://www.homegrownaudio.com/26-awg-copper-wire-fep-dielectric/

Yeah you want that, dont' forget to get the clear techflex, very nice presentation is always a must.

Feel free to PM me for tips. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-24-AWG-Silver-Kapton-Teflon-Wire-3-Twisted-/380405533497?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5891efcb39#ht_720wt_1003

Would something like this be good for rewiring headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back