cheapest mass produced head phone amp
Sep 4, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
Oh yeah that was one of my choices when I was trying to figure out what amp to buy. What is it compareable to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
His amp [Presonus HP4] is suprisingly good, better than any PIMETA I've heard.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...resonus+Pimeta
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
I have a Grado RA-1 amp and paid $375.00 for it. I also bought a Presonus HP4 for $89.95 (Guitar Center), and cannot hear much difference between them at all.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...resonus+Pimeta

Sep 5, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I'd tend to agree here... CMOY is definitely NOT mass-produced.

Isn't there some Audio-Technica amp on Audiocubes that's incredibly cheap?

I didn't say mass produce but most produce. Gotcha!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #19 of 27
Thanks for al lthe responses. Just got back from the weekend
wink.gif

It's almost to the point that if I don't spnd $100+ on an amp, there's almost no point. There were a couple of amps in the $70 area that were pointed out. I'll look into those, but I don't expect to buy them based on my preliminary look over.

Thanks for the ideas!

karl

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
i wonder if anyone buys those boostaroo things.

Someone at the NYC Qualia meet said it wasn't all that bad...

kfh227: out of curiosity, why did you want a mass-produced headphone amp as opposed to an independant builder? And if $100 is still too much for you, remember you can always buy used.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #22 of 27
the boostaroo really doesn't sound THAT bad - with the ksc-35 at least, which is a very forgiving lil clip. the akg 271S we tried with the boostaroo however, had other ideas - revealing the 'roo to be thin and washed out. so if you are a pcdp/hd player to a 'roo to a ksc35 you'll be ok.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227
It's almost to the point that if I don't spnd $100+ on an amp, there's almost no point. There were a couple of amps in the $70 area that were pointed out. I'll look into those, but I don't expect to buy them based on my preliminary look over.

Are you sure? What about something from Headsave, like a Mint or Go-Vibe? The Go-Vibe, especially, is one amp I've heard pretty much nothing but positive things about. It would only run you $65+ and it should mate very nicely to your SR60's and HD 280 Pro's. Have you looked into a GV? If so, why have you decided not to consider purchasing it? Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 27
millenium hp1. 48euros.

Uses a tl074 (it accepts pro balanced inputs) and a pair of transistors as output. Sounds is supposed to be non-audiophile but ok.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 27
I think if you should spring for an Airhead. The cmoy is a great little performer, but it's not great for driving Grados to high levels as it is an unbuffered amp and the op-amp just runs out of steam too early.

Sep 13, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Someone at the NYC Qualia meet said it wasn't all that bad...

kfh227: out of curiosity, why did you want a mass-produced headphone amp as opposed to an independant builder? And if $100 is still too much for you, remember you can always buy used.

I would go with an independant builder. I guess what I was getting at is that I don't really want to do a CMoy amp, however I looked over the web page and there were some more involved designs which intrigued me. Might even turn into a new career
wink.gif

The new/used debate. I figure I could buy a used one. It's probably better that way in terms of bang for your buck. The cap is $100. My target price is really in the $60-$80 range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Are you sure? What about something from Headsave, like a Mint or Go-Vibe? The Go-Vibe, especially, is one amp I've heard pretty much nothing but positive things about. It would only run you $65+ and it should mate very nicely to your SR60's and HD 280 Pro's. Have you looked into a GV? If so, why have you decided not to consider purchasing it? Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll look at the Go-Vibe shortly. What are GV's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
I think if you should spring for an Airhead. The cmoy is a great little performer, but it's not great for driving Grados to high levels as it is an unbuffered amp and the op-amp just runs out of steam too early.

I was thinking about looking for a used airHead. Not sure if used will be under $100 though but it's worth a look.

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #27 of 27
Also, take a look at JMT's stuff at JMTaudio.com It looks like he builds a Mint that would meet your budget. (That's an amp on Tangent's MINT board, not a generic mint-tin cmoy). I had an earlier JMT amp and I can say that his workmanship is 1st class. Now, I just finished building my own MINT and while it's too soon for me to say anything specific, it is a an amp well worth considering in the under $100 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back