Cheaper Dac / Amp Combos
Aug 9, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One advantage of the 0404 over the other combined dac+amps (like the fubar III) is that youre free to upgrade the built-in head amp with external options, whereas in others you cant and are stuck with the built in amp

I don' t know about the move, but the Fubar III with the RCA outs can be used as a standalone USB DAC. I just asked the Ebay seller about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don' t know about the move, but the Fubar III with the RCA outs can be used as a standalone USB DAC. I just asked the Ebay seller about it
smily_headphones1.gif

That is very correct, I asked the same question the other day.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 40
Does anyone know how the Burr Brown PCM2702 DAC of the Fubar III is when compared to the Cirrus Logic top of the line CS4398 in the iBasso D1 or the DAC in the EMU 0404 USB (not sure which DAC it has exactly)?

I'm probably going to get one of these three relatively soon to use with my laptop.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 40
I'm just compiling this as a list, becuase I'm interested in these as well. I really don't know which is better, although the thread about the D1 says it is a really great DAC

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

the thread about the D1 says it is a really great DAC

Great DAC chip, mind; none of us have actually heard the whole DAC yet!

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great DAC chip, mind; none of us have actually heard the whole DAC yet!

true, sorry. We can hope it's a good DAC

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

I'm just compiling this as a list, because I'm interested in these as well. I really don't know which is better, although the thread about the D1 says it is a really great DAC

Good idea. You might also want to list dac chips, opamps, and if you're really feeling energetic capacitors for the various options. It's very easy to google up spec sheets that will list the measured performance of various chips. Mainly with DACs there are two types of chips in use for headphone dac/amp combos, the dacs built into USB receivers (usually 16 bit with lowish performance, the 2702/4 is one of these) and dedicated dac chips (usually 24 bit with several times less distortion and so forth, the pcm 1794/8 is an example). Also, if you could add links to all the amps, I'm sure everybody would be grateful.

One more option, too: the Bloat by HippoHIFI. $169-219 plus shipping. Various dac, amp, and cap options.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the Burr Brown PCM2702 DAC of the Fubar III is when compared to the Cirrus Logic top of the line CS4398 in the iBasso D1 or the DAC in the EMU 0404 USB (not sure which DAC it has exactly)?

I'm probably going to get one of these three relatively soon to use with my laptop.

The Fubar DAC is generally quoted as not that great of a DAC even for the price point they sell it at from test results run by MisterX (I asked him about it correct me if I'm wrong Marshall). Even the AlienDAC beats out the Fubar. I had one, and it wasn't the greatest thing and sold it immediately.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Corda Arietta comes in at $240

But it's not a DAC/amp combination, it's just an amp. That's what the OP is compiling.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #30 of 40
Chrispy,

Hey, I'm facing a similar dilemma. I have just bought a pair of DT880's and now I need to find a DAC/Amp for them. I currently have a Trends UD-10, but everyone here says that it shouldn't be used as a DAC, but rather a digital transport only. So... I am now faced with the *overwhelming* number of choices available for DACs and amps.

From what I've read so far in this thread, it looks like I can safely remove Fubar products from my list?

I've heard very good things about the iBasso, but am wondering, can I use the aux out and the headphone out simultaneously? What I mean is, can I keep the aux analog out plugged into my speaker amp and use the headphone jack too? If so, then this guy might be the one for me.

I am also being tempted to buy separates (DAC and amp) because I keep hearing how wonderful the Darkvoice 336i is. Mmmmm.... tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

I had not heard of the HiPPOhifi product before, facelvega. Thanks! Now I have yet another product to review (LOL)

Here are a couple more options for you, Chrispy:
  1. Meier Corda Cantate
  2. Zhaolu clone on eBay

That eBay clone thing is kind of suspect, but it's *very* cheap. Too cheap, perhaps?

Good luck on your search for the perfect thing!
Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back