Cheaper Dac / Amp Combos
Aug 8, 2007 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Chrispy

100+ Head-Fier
Compiling a list of Dac / Amp combos in the sub $250 category

So far I know of:

Corda Move ($240, includes shipping):
+crossfeed switch
+Low Current and High Current Mode (what does this mean, is it like gain?)

Headroom Total Bithead ($149):
+ Crossfeed
+ External Gain Switch (Sort of external, you don't have to open the whole thing up)

Fubar III ($210):
+Internal Gain Switch
- Seems to only have input from computer

Headroom Total Bithead ($149):
+ Crossfeed
+ External Gain Switch (Sort of external, you don't have to open the whole thing up)

Hippo Hi-Fi the Bloat ($170-220)
+Many upgrades offered through seller
-No apparent volume control

iBasso D1 ($229):
+ Coaxial, Optical and USB with the very cool feature that the Aux In doubles as a line out when Coaxial, Optical or USB inputs are in use, so it can be a stand alone Dac. (Thanks Dexdexter)

Sigtone Shek h1 ($200+$40 shipping on ebay):
+Can be used as a seperate DAC or a seperate Amp

Leckerton Audio UHA-3 USB DAC ($149 + Shipping)
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/purchase.html (Anyone wanna buy and review one?)
+ Small Package
- Total mystery for how it sounds, although I emailed them and they said it could drive HD650s

O1 Headphone Amplifier with DAC ($250 + Shipping)
I really no nothing about this.
- No way is this portable

I will also try to list more features of each. List anymore you know of

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 40
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Getting there. . .

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso D1 ($229):
+ Coaxial, Optical and USB (Can someone clarify if these are input or output?).

The analog AUX IN doubles as a LINE OUT when the Coaxial, Optical or USB inputs are in use, so the D1 can also function as a stand-alone DAC:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBasso website
D1 has its dedicated MCU (Micro Controller Unit) to manager its inputs, outputs, and functions. This is an innovation on Portable DAC or Amp device. When D1 is turned on, the MCU will automatically search the inputs one by one, in sequence of (1st optical, 2nd coaxial, 3rd USB, and 4th Line In). Then, let the locked inputing signal to the chips for decoding or amplification, and the MCU will turn into sleep status at the same time. Benefit from the MCU, the port AUX IN/OUT on the front panel can have multi-function. When there is SPDIF signal inputing, this port is Line Out, otherwise, it is Line In.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 40
anymore info on any of these would be appreciated, also, if you can tell me how to make text a hyperlink, I would be appreciative, and would link these to their respective websites

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 40
I think there was a promo on the EMU0404 usb...making it 150 USD, not sure if it still stands though.

Im also in the process of doing research on good usb DAC-AMP combos. The EM0404 caught my eye, what with its enormous buzz here. It seems to be a stellar DAC with a good (but not GREAT) headphone amp. If its built in head amp aint beefy enough for your high-impendance phones, an external amp can always be added to it.

Here are some of the EMU 0404 threads that gave me great info and insight:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=emu+0404

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=emu+0404

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224770

One advantage of the 0404 over the other combined dac+amps (like the fubar III) is that youre free to upgrade the built-in head amp with external options, whereas in others you cant and are stuck with the built in amp

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 40
D1 has an excellent DAC chip, so it shows alot of potential, but we have yet to get some reviews. E-MU 0404 USB has been properly spoken for. From long experience I am not a fan of Bithead, although its amplification abilities at that price are pretty good.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #15 of 40
How would you guys compare the DAC on the Emu-0404 to that on the Move?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back