Cheap headphones
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Paste

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am a noob who needs some guidance on the path to audio excellence. Anyway, are there are extremely cheap (by this forum's standards) headphones, less than $200 that is well worth the money? I want to listen to lossless audio. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 10
As always, we can give you much better advice with some more information.

• What is your source?  Laptop, portable player, CD player with home theatre receiver?
  • What kind of music do you listen to.  There are a few good all-rounder headphones, but most under $200 do some things better than others.
  • What are your preferences (as far as you are aware at this point).  Do you want lots of bass?  Do you want something that makes your toes tap?  Do you want something that reveals everything in the music?  Do you want something closed or open?
  • Are you going to use these for movies and games, or just music?

Regardless of your answers, some will recommend one of the lower-end Grados, and you will get lots of recommendations for the ATH-M50.  Consider checking into used options, because there are some excellent buys used at the $200 range.  Several of my best headphones I bought for just under $200 used.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, here's the info.

1. PC and iPod, if you want one source, it will be PC

2. Alternative rock and sometimes classic rock

3. I like a strong bass, but nothing too extreme. Yes, I'd like to hear the music to its full extent. Also maybe a headphone that's a bit louder. 

4. Just for music

Thanks, will check out suggestions. Very much appreciated. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 10
dbi-pro 700 & 705,....................if you keep your eye on eBay for them they produce amazing SQ, well more than you'll spend for them elsewhere - as in directly from dbiint.com ($35-$50 used, $179.99 new).

I own both, and the pro 700 @40ohm is the more "audiophile" hp, while the 705  @35ohm is still great sounding. Both pair well w/either a portable, portable>amp, on computer.

Plus, they're built like a tank, and you can use Bayer Dynamic velour/velvet pads to make them more comfy, or pads from German Maestro.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 10
The Grado SR-225i's are an excellent value and sound fantastic for rock music. However, keep in mind that you will probably need an amp for the 225's to sound their best. Look into it.

Have fun.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Alternately, you should be able to get the Beyerdynamic DT250 (or 150, though they are harder to find) for around that price.  They make great all-around cans, isolate well, and drive pretty well from the sources you have.

While I chime in on the DBI Pro thing, now that the recent seller is sold out on Ebay, you aren't likely going to be able to find one in the short term. 

With your tastes, it would be worth at least finding a Grado to audition as well.  They drive easily, and do magical things with the genres you like.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Oh an SR325 with flats is the charm. It is one of the bassiest Grados, FWIR, and I believe it. The SR60's sounded very dry compared to these, and they're a small stretch above your budget. I love mine. 

Oh by the way, Grado's are great unamped in general :)

In my opinion, the SR-225's sound better than the SR-325's for rock music. If you can, try them out before buying them.

The Grado's are very efficient and don't need an amp, but they do scale well with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back