Cheap Headphones for Daughter
Dec 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #91 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already ordered the KS7. She specifically wanted on/over ear ones. I was just thanking all the 6 pages of folks who helped me out and put up with my neuroses.

that's why we are here for mate! hope she will enjoy her new cans. start looking for upgrades
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #92 of 111
I know you've already ordered, but I wanted to address this point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to be old and clueless, but what's chunky mean in this context?

To me, "chunky" refers to a feeling of something being well-built. Even if something is actually very well-built and durable, it's not "chunky" if it feels like it will fall apart on you if you breathe on it the wrong way. However, in saying "but not too chunky", she's saying she doesn't want a set of headphones that are so well-built that they weigh 400 pounds, or stick out 3 feet from the side of her head.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #93 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you've already ordered, but I wanted to address this point:

To me, "chunky" refers to a feeling of something being well-built. Even if something is actually very well-built and durable, it's not "chunky" if it feels like it will fall apart on you if you breathe on it the wrong way. However, in saying "but not too chunky", she's saying she doesn't want a set of headphones that are so well-built that they weigh 400 pounds, or stick out 3 feet from the side of her head.

I think you are right in your definition. I hope these are just the right amount of "chunky".

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #95 of 111
Quote:

You guys are right. I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm going to order the ES7 right now. They are only $55 and retail for over twice that. They may look funny on her head, but if she doesn't like them...then I'll go buy her the crappy ones at Urban Outfitters and Dad gets a extra bonus christmas gift!

I like your backup plan.
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #96 of 111
Save the world hippy, being cute and girly without being girly

ti-skull-candy.jpg

Skull candy has it all if eye candy is all that matters.

To be honest though I doubt any cheap pair of headphones will effectively block out much ambient noise and vice versa.

if you can find these for $50
411SquallSnake7.jpg

Amazon.com: Able Planet Lost Cauze Active Noise Canceling Gaming Headphones: Electronics

They have a cute name(they were $50 not that long ago). They also block out noise VERY well, and sound light years better than ipod headphones. [size=large]I used them on NYC metro and all I could hear was music.[/size]. They don't sound anywhere near as good as higher end headphones(compared to my 7506 they are weak) but their active noise cancellation is amazing. Detacheable cable and if I could remember life time warranty. Most headphones break because the cable breaks, so replacing the cable rather than sending them back or buying new headphones is better. Especially considering most people don't treat them as godly items of audio nirvana which need to be handled with care.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #97 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambosenior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Daughters are smart creatures! Mine is eternally fascinating and ever-changing. Get her hooked on good audio, she'll thank you always.

Good luck.

Same with girlfriends. I let mine listen to my 271mkii's a couple times, and she hasn't wanted to go back to her other headphones since
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #98 of 111
Nice buy there on the ES7's. Only thing you gotta look after is what headphones she will want after the Es7's; im talking about 6 months later maybe? Till then, we can wait for the "Good Headphones For Daughter" thread.

biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #99 of 111
Sorry to revive the thread, but thought I would add a postscript...

So she LOVES the headphones. Barely has taken them off. I am very impressed with them. Yes, they are odd looking on. So we will look and see how hard that mod is. But the sound is incredible. Enough Bass to impress, but not so much that is all you hear. Now my father wants me to order him some, but of course the refurb deal is done and they are back up to $85. So will see if it comes back.

I just want to thank everyone for their advice and most of all their patience. I showed her the thread on here and I think that just added to the gift because of all the work that was put into picking these out.

Thanks for making me "The Man" with my daughter!!

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #101 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I get the aforementioned igrado in girly colors? I love girly colors.

They only come in white and black.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #103 of 111
Quote:

So she LOVES the headphones. Barely has taken them off.
Now my father wants me to order him some
I just want to thank everyone for their advice and most of all their patience. I showed her the thread on here and I think that just added to the gift because of all the work that was put into picking these out.

Thanks for making me "The Man" with my daughter!!

Thanks for the update! I like it when people report back
biggrin.gif

My family doesn't appreciate audio upgrades, but it's great to hear that your family does. Keep your daughter away from here until she gets a job, if you care about your wallet
beyersmile.png

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #104 of 111
Quote:

So she LOVES the headphones. Barely has taken them off. I am very impressed with them.

Great to hear this, and congratulations on your success!

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #105 of 111
Like I mentioned, my father is now wanting me to order him as well. He also said that I should order some for me as well...on him! After listening to my daughters for an extended period, I experienced some fatigue (sp) from fit (I'm a big guy) and thought the highs were a little much. Could be I was listening from my Macbook and they weren't driving well enough. So I thought if I could find a place that was selling the ES7 for around $86 and had a good selection of other cans, I could get something different. So now I am looking for a set of headphones for myself that have nice warm sound with tight bass and good seperation and soundstage for under $100. I know open air are supposed to sound better, but I don't want to basically have a pair of little speakers on my head where everyone can hear my music and I can hear them. I may be overstating the whole open air thing though.

I have another thread looking for advice, but heck I'll take it where I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back