Cheap fullsize amps vs. quality portables
May 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Othello3

New Head-Fier
It seems that there is a strong sentiment against portable amps in general and it doesn't take much to figure out why but I have a more specific question regarding the relatively inexpensive amp market. I am new to Head-Fi but I intend to expand my horizons as I will likely be living without a real speaker system for several years (university, graduate school, etc...). As to my "background," I will for the time being be using a pair of SE530 IEM's out of either an iPod, an external soundcard or possibly an older model Adcom cd player. I also have a salvaged Adcom stereo amp and pre-amp that I may or may not use depending on the feedback I get.

Now for my actual question... In the $200-400 amp arena, how do high quality portables such as the RSA amps compare to cheaper desktop amps? Are these amps noticeably better than cheaper portables (ie. iBasso)? Any other recommendations? I am by no means the worlds most discerning audiophile so ultimately I think I would rather spend my money on a reliable amp from RSA than something from Taiwan with nobody to stand behind it but not if it means less reliable sound.

May 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 9
I am also interested in this top. But probably comparing say a Little Dot I+ or Starving Student to a Mustang or Pico.

Thanks

May 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Haven't heard the Little Dot I+ or the Mustang but the SSMH is pretty nice and I'd say is warmer and much more lush in the midrange than the Pico. Gotta say the Pico has nicer highs than the SSMH.

Some might know that I'm not a fan of portable amps in general (or more precisely just hate that they are compared to quality amps as "alternatives") and while the Pico is a nice portable, I never heard any portable that can match a decent stationary amp with most headphones. I'm sure you understand my overall impression.

May 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, thank you for your insight, FallenAngel
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually would take my LDI+ over my mini^3 any day. Too bad I can't bring the LDI+ to the library..

EDIT: Well technically I could, but imagine the inconvenience and the looks I'd get
tongue.gif

May 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$400 for a desktop amp isn't "cheap", there are lots of great quality amps you can get for that and they would destroy any portable offerings at that price point.

Could you give some examples of good amps in this range? How do these amps compare to something like an RSA portable or the iBasso line? Specifically, how do the Little Dot amps compare?

You are certainly correct and I fear I did not phrase my question well. I am not using particularly high-impedance headphones so I guess I'm curious as to why I would necessarily be better off with a desktop amp instead of a top quality portable. Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

May 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't go confusing dollar value with quality or ability to drive headphones. Dollar value is totally irrelevant.

I could sell you a $50,000 motorcycle that would be among the best in the world. But saying a portable is good for all headphones is like saying that the $50,000 motorcycle is the best, so you'll have no trouble using it to moveyour friend's refrigerator. And further, that a used $1,000 pickup is crap for moving a refrigerator because it only costs $1,000 and the motorcycle cost a lot more.

You have to use the right tool for the job.

This is not elitism. You need an amp that plugs into the wall for sufficient current to drive some headphones. There is a world of difference between a 9 volt that sags eventually and 120 volts off the mains with plenty of amps and no sagging.

This is why a 1970s receiver left out on the curb for trash pickup can smoke a $500 portable. The old receiver won't be slick, small and come with fanboys, though.

Stop using the price tag to determine value. Look at real numbers, like power output. Look at the construction, casework and components used. If you want to dig deeper, do a quick parts count and estimate what they cost. If you look at amps this way, you will discover enormous profit margins on some. If 80% of the price is profit, then how does that translate into quality?

May 20, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 9
I appreciate the reply but that really is not the point of this thread. The fact is that a number of cheaply made amps are poorly made, the same goes for just about anything these days. So my intent was not to sound "elitist" but to avoid buying an amp that won't last.

Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of the specific parts in an amp so I think I am ill equipped to compare them but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on some of the amps from less expansive brands like Little Dot. I would also really appreciate it if you could give me the names of other companies that aren't ripping off their customers with huge profit margins. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back