Cheap Earbuds with clip under $35?
May 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
The other day out of curiosity I picked up some cheap Philips SHS3200 earbuds at a local store for $9.88. Years ago when I wasn't really into expensive headphones and didn't have a lot of money (I was 18), I used a pair of Philips Earbuds that had adjustable clips or hooks on them. I loved them so much for exercise that when they broke I went out and purchased the same pair. They were only $20!

They don't make them anymore, but I think they do, but just made the clip non-adjustable to save money. That was a bad idea. So anyway, I almost didn't open these, but i'm glad I did. I wanted to see why I had liked these so much back then or if I just had no clue on what sounded good. Of course I later upgraded to the Sennheiser HD-555.

So I hook them up to my NuForce Mobile and they're aren't bad at all. They're pretty detailed and everything is clear. There is absolutely no bass and that's what ruins it somewhat. I could easily listen to these during exercise. If you get a good fit these would be the absolute BEST earbuds for running for under $25! On my ear they feel as if nothing is there. For $10, i'm satisfied with the sound. They sound great for the price. They're a step down from the Koss KSC75, but those are bulky and not good for exercise to me since I wear glasses.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to find other good earbuds with a hook or clip that are perfect for exercise under $30? Is there any more? Regular earbuds are worthless for exercise to me. I don't want to be lifting 800lbs over my head and have my earbud fall out.

Please note that i'm not interested in any IEM. I'm not really looking to replace what I use currently, just for new cheap items to try out during exercise. At this point i'm only curious as to how good an earbud can get for under $35. To me, the best sounding is the KSC75, but I can't use them and might try a headband with them if it's possible. I think there was a mod for that. It's just too bad very few companies make earbuds with a clip or hook on them.

May 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 3
You may want to check out Sennheiser's OMX180 and 181.  Several of us here have tried the MX471 and/or MX580 (which most likely use the same drivers) and have been pleased with the sound quality.  The real question is whether the adjustable ear hooks are of any use, which unfortunately I can't answer.

Both should be available for under $30.  The OMX181 is for smaller ears, while the OMX180 has a slightly larger housing.

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 3
I've been wearing the SHS3200 for a year or so now and for affordable clip over ear I really like em.  Work great for working out and bike riding.

I just purchased a set of the SHS8000 to compare off Ebay for $16.  I'll post up what I think of them once they arrive and I give them some time to compare with the 3200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back