Cheap commuting cans
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

elpsycongroo

New Head-Fier
I'm currently commuting by train to school every day for a couple of hours. Looking to grab some cheap ~100 dollar cans with decent sound isolation for listening to while travelling. I'm a musician and so I care more about sound quality than isolation, but obviously my headphones can't leak too much or I won't be able to hear a thing. I listen to everything from smooth jazz to electro/dubstep to classical, so I'm looking for a well-rounded pair of headphones with decent bass (although they don't need to be basshead-worthy by any means). I mostly listen from my laptop and phone. Currently all I have is a cheap pair of JVC HA-S600s.

Headphones I'm currently looking at (again, note the $100~ price range):
KRK KNS-6400
Shure SRH 440
Fischer FA-003
Fostex T50RP
AT M50s

Any suggestions? :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 15
well the fischer´s/HM5 seal off real good and have been said to be a poor mans HD600. but if you´re in a rural region people might look at you funny with these cans on your head. i´m just burning my HM5 in, but can say that vocals really shine here. they´re also good to drive with portable equipment.
the T50RP are hearable if you sit next to someone listening with them and i think they`re harder to drive with any portable equipment.
i just ordered a HD650 so am eager to compare to my modded T50RP.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
Headphones I'm currently looking at (again, note the $100~ price range):
KRK KNS-6400
Shure SRH 440
Fischer FA-003
Fostex T50RP
AT M50s

Any suggestions? :)

The FA003 and Brainwavz HM5 are the same headphone. The HM5 is less expensive, isolates really well, great overall signature, and well rounded, it's on the warm side of neutral, but not overly bassy and not overly bright either.

Very best,

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 15
The recent JVC HA-S500's are actually pretty badass for around $50.  I haven't heard the HA-S600 to compare.
The HA-S500's have awesome bass that's not boomy, along with very noticable semi wide soundstage and separation.  I actually plan to pick up one for myself for commuting too.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 15
Sony MDR-V6. You won't be disappointed. They run about $70 shipped and are the best set of headphones I've found for less than $100. Even better than the Grado's.

Neutral midrange, slight rolloff on the highs but not very noticable when listening, deep rich bass without boomyness. In fact if it weren't for the bass response being slightly boosted, these would be almost totally neutral headphones. From 1khz to 10khz they are almost completely flat.

Very musical, efficient for use with phones and mp3 players, built like a tank, and easy to find parts for if you wear something out or break it.

Only downside imho is the coiled headphone cable. I prefer short and straight to coils.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The recent JVC HA-S500's are actually pretty badass for around $50.  I haven't heard the HA-S600 to compare.
The HA-S500's have awesome bass that's not boomy, along with very noticable semi wide soundstage and separation.  I actually plan to pick up one for myself for commuting too.

This is a solid recommendation. Lower end JVC's never disappoint. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Sony MDR-V6. You won't be disappointed. They run about $70 shipped and are the best set of headphones I've found for less than $100. Even better than the Grado's.

Neutral midrange, slight rolloff on the highs but not very noticable when listening, deep rich bass without boomyness. In fact if it weren't for the bass response being slightly boosted, these would be almost totally neutral headphones. From 1khz to 10khz they are almost completely flat.

Very musical, efficient for use with phones and mp3 players, built like a tank, and easy to find parts for if you wear something out or break it.

Only downside imho is the coiled headphone cable. I prefer short and straight to coils.

I concur with Kodhifi here. I've come to very much dislike my FA-003 lately. It's well-built and sounds pretty nice, but it's been WAY overhyped. People have said it competes at far above its price range, which I simply find untrue (and I know the OP has run into overhyping issues with the Monoprice they recently reviewed). I have an HD600 and a number of other headphones that've been compared to the FA-003, and it simply can't compete. It sounds congested and out of its league among the greats.

I'd recommend the MDR-V6 for your purposes, as they're great throwaround headphones that are comfy, have an awesome and unique bass presentation, won't get destroyed easily and are easily portable, and can double as monitors. They're a classic, and well worth the money.

Another option is the M50 (which you listed), but they're a bit colder sounding, which may not be as enjoyable for you.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 15
I see that the thread was started in December 2012, so I guess that elpsycongroo has probably found the headphones he is after.

However I'll mention that the I use AKG K450 headphones for public transport and that kind of thing. I use trains and buses a lot as I don't have a car. The K450s are not perfect but they work well for me. I would like better isolation, that is all. For on-ear headphones the isolation is pretty good I think, but I wonder if something like the much more expensive B&W P5 headphones would have better isolation. Actual sound quality of the K450s is really rather good, I'm always surprised at just what level of detail can be heard with these headphones.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I see that the thread was started in December 2012, so I guess that elpsycongroo has probably found the headphones he is after.

I noticed after posting; I had been reading his review of the Monoprice and went to his profile, which is where I found the thread. I didn't notice its time had passed already, unfortunately.

Quote:
Outside the price range, but I use an HDJ-2000 for commuting.  Folds up fairly compact and no sound leaking.

I'd concur with this if it wasn't so far out of the OP's price range. The HDJ-2000 is one of the most underestimated cans on Head-Fi.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

The HDJ-2000 is one of the most underestimated cans on Head-Fi.

Sadly, because it have improved sound quality and build quality over the previous version (HDJ-1000) which is not liked. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Sadly, because it have improved sound quality and build quality over the previous version (HDJ-1000) which is not liked. 

I'm thinking about picking up yet another pair soon (I've owned the thing twice, and even though I love the sound I just never get around to using them much).

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 15
JVC HA-S500. Look good travel well and easy to drive. Sound as good as some cans 2-3 times it's price if not more.

Sony MDR-V55 great value decent build quality and sound better than the new XB line which is total junk.

Ath-Pro500MK2 New cans from AT but with removable cables and better comfort than Pro700mk2 but still keeps its fan friendly signature of tight deep bass and non fatiguing highs. Sound stage is pretty small but for a closed can under $100 it isn't lacking.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back