Cheap, but good balanced amp.
Apr 25, 2007 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

_jazz

Head-Fier
Thinking about trying balanced system, what's the cheapest, but still sounds good balanced amp? Headroom Desktop Balanced? SinglePower Square Wave - XL (when is this out?)? Is there cheaper than that? I'll be running Sennheiser HD650s.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 50
HR desktop balanced or Rudistor nx-33, but even those will cost you around $1000-1250, or more. the SP Sqaure Wave is $1699, but maybe there is an introductory offer making it less. i dont know. the GSX is another one, but that is $1800. Then there is the Apache (around $3000), the B-52 (around $5000), and other rudistor amps over $2000.

balanced amps, unfortunately, are not cheap.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HR desktop balanced or Rudistor nx-33, but even those will cost you around $1000-1250, or more. the SP Sqaure Wave is $1699, but maybe there is an introductory offer making it less. i dont know. the GSX is another one, but that is $1800. Then there is the Apache (around $3000), the B-52 (around $5000), and other rudistor amps over $2000.

balanced amps, unfortunately, are not cheap.

Is the step-up from the "budget" balanced amps to the higher-end ones worth it? I'm considering one in the near future and won't mind paying more if it's worth the investment.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can get a balanced amp for $100, but sound quality will not be as good as a decent unbalanced amp.

rolleyes.gif

I think you're missing the point entirely, but please tell us all about it.
plainface.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 50
If I were to get a balanced amp, I would not try to be cheap about it. Perhaps a used Headroom desk top in the for sale forum will be around for about $800 I suppose. But I don't think that will happen soon. Trying to save a few hundred dollars is not worth it IMO. I would wait a year or two perhaps, saving my money, and get a good one for about 1-2 K. I figure, if I'm going balanced, I'd rather do it right.

But that's just me.

Good luck
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like you to put a name to that cheap balanced amp.

Balanced CMOY.

Balanced Sijososae simple diamond buffers.

Balanced extremely basic single transistor based, biased buffers.

Heck, just to name a few.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 50
Cheap and balanced really don't belong in the same sentence, but from what I've personally listened to, the headroom balanced desktop is your best bet for a budget balanced amp

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a Balanced CKK III from the guy who built himself an awesome set of Balanced Diamond Buffers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you elaborate on that?
What is a balanced CKK III?
Does it actually drive balanced headphones?
I'm not much in DIY so I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, I just never heard of that amp.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 50
Just as a note, almost any amp design can be made into a balanced one. You have L+/L-/R+/R- ... and make some changes to how the stages are wired together, and wallah! Balanced amp.

Now, how well it'll perform is a different story. If the unbalanced amp isn't very good in itself, the balanced amp sure isn't going to be much better. Or if the unbalanced amp is just average, balanced operation just might not make that much of a difference. Other than double the slew rate of course.
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the step-up from the "budget" balanced amps to the higher-end ones worth it? I'm considering one in the near future and won't mind paying more if it's worth the investment.

Cheers!

i just picked up the NX-33 and balanced Edition 9s (the only know set in existence). I just A/Bed tonight against my Singlepower Extreme Platinum (single ended). I was very surprized to find how high the quality of the RudiStor is and I consider myself a tube guy and the Extreme is no slouch.
you can read my impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...236593&page=31

I am very impressed with the SQ upgrade when moving up to balanced, even if you source is not balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back