Cheap bud sugestions
Mar 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

majurglery

100+ Head-Fier
What are some pretty good buds/IEMs for under 40 dollars? I have ER-6is (which i love), but i want something cheap that i can use at school and at the gym. My mom has marshmallows, and they are ok, but to me, the small foams are uncomfortable, so i want something preferably silicone. I was looking at the Creative EP-630, and they are probably my first choice, but i just wanted to get some opinions before i purchase.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 24
have u tried the JVC Air cushions? i think the exact model is HAFX66.

V-moda bass freq.

Sennheiser MX75

the ones i listed are all in ear models, i do have some recommendations for cheap headphones but it doesnt seem like ur interested so those are my 3.

oh btw, the ep-630 is not bad of a choice either, but i had some problems with the cable.

Mar 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 24
Within your budget, the EP-630s are a good, simple solution. I make sure I have mine with me just about all the time, when I'm not listening to something higher up the food chain. I consider them a pretty good "carry around with me" minimum, and they should be appropriate especially at school, where I'm sure things get broken and "disappear" fairly frequently.

[Edit: PS -- just so you know, the foams on the Marshmallows aren't like foams such as Comply or Shure black foamies, which are more comfortable and fit a variety of IEMs. As a foamy fan, and for your future reference, I'd hate for you to reject all foamies based on your mom's Marshmallows.]

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within your budget, the EP-630s are a good, simple solution. I make sure I have mine with me just about all the time, when I'm not listening to something higher up the food chain. I consider them a pretty good "carry around with me" minimum, and they should be appropriate especially at school, where I'm sure things get broken and "disappear" fairly frequently.

[Edit: PS -- just so you know, the foams on the Marshmallows aren't like foams such as Comply or Shure black foamies, which are more comfortable and fit a variety of IEMs. As a foamy fan, and for your future reference, I'd hate for you to reject all foamies based on your mom's Marshmallows.

Yea i know, i use Ety foams on my er6i and i love them,i just dont like the marshmallow foams is all. I know that you could change the foams on the marshmallows, but i might as well just use the shure foams on my er6is. BTW i was at bestbuy and saw Skullcand Inked for like 10 bucks. Are these any good or should i just stick with the EP-630?

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 24
I just bought a pair of skullcandy ink'd the other day. They are decent, but I preferred the jvc marshmallows that I had before them. But for $10 they are a decent option and they have a variety of tip sizes.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 24
I realize the price is good, but I haven't read much positive about Skullcandy on Head-Fi (but I've read a lot of negative stuff). The Creatives are a good deal, if you're willing to spend a bit more while still staying within your range.

"what are the marshmallows?"

Ash -- those are the entry-level JVC (I think) canal phones available online and at the major electronics stores ... they come in a variety of bright colors and have a kind of foamy tip that's different from the silicone tips on most canal phones. (To me the tips are more like styrofoam than soft, pliable foam ... but maybe that's just my impression.) A new version has come out in recent months.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 24
JVC Air-Cushions aren't bad, a lot more comfortable than the Marshmallows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pardon my ignorance... what are the marshmallows?

JVC Marshmallows, HAFX33 and HAFX34.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC Air-Cushions aren't bad, a lot more comfortable than the Marshmallows.

JVC Marshmallows, HAFX33 and HAFX34.

Thanks guys...
They are 7.99 at CC. I was very tempted a few days back to pick a couple, but a fellow Headfier stopped me. He didnt thik too highly of them. But I think those impressions are relative.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys...
They are 7.99 at CC. I was very tempted a few days back to pick a couple, but a fellow Headfier stopped me. He didnt thik too highly of them. But I think those impressions are relative.

To be fair, how hard would it be to justify $7.99 down the road whether you end up liking them or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back