Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014
Apr 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #406 of 530
I'll add Bill Evan: Complete Village Vanguard Recording to the list of older recordings that is very well done. 

Which Bellafonte recording are you referring to?

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #407 of 530
I'll add Bill Evan: Complete Village Vanguard Recording to the list of older recordings that is very well done. 

Which Bellafonte recording are you referring to?

The 2 CD set from RCA, Harry Belafonte Live in Concert at Carnegie Hall. (74321 15713 2 (2)). This doesn't have the original album
cover art but it's the complete 2 vinyl album recording. the version with the original album art is missing two tracks. This was recorded in 1959
and I'm hard-pressed to find a better live recording.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #408 of 530
We need to remember this is about the music. Sure, we want the best gear we can afford to maximize our enjoyment but it's really about the music. Bring your BEST recordings to the meet.
Great gear and great music make a meet memorable.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #409 of 530
Sorry for the lack of clarity, though. Starting from scratch, so looking at an amp and DAC.
Read a lot about the Bitfrost/Lyr combo for the HE-500. Haven't taken Schiit up on their 15 day trial yet.
Might after hearing them at the meet, though.

Sorry, didn't mean to have too much fun at your expense...

Trying out a range of equipment is the point of the meet. It's not the best way to know what's best for you, but it's a great way to narrow down the field and help you focus on the few products that worked best for your music and your ears. You're certainly welcome to try the HE-500 on my setups; I'll bring an HE-6 as well, so you can see how different members of the same family compare, too.

One of the great things about hi-fi meets is that you might learn that there's no single ultimate setup. Or maybe that's one of the worst things, since it can make the hobby even more expensive than it has to be...

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #412 of 530
I recently re-purchased the HE-500 for the sake of nostalgia, and I've got to say that it certainly doesn't fail to impress. Even though I find the HE-6 technically superior, they are both equally enjoyable depending on the mood.

IMO jellis-7, you have the best bang for the buck headphone available today, one which I'd be perfectly happy having as my only headphone after hearing so many others!

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #413 of 530
This meet just keeps getting better q.q

I'm kinda out of sick days and getting fired is never a good idea but... dang it meng this meet looks so GOOD... *sigh* the 5'th would have been perfect... Jwhal your bosses are terrible people... I hope they live a long life :/ 

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #414 of 530
  This meet just keeps getting better q.q

I'm kinda out of sick days and getting fired is never a good idea but... dang it meng this meet looks so GOOD... *sigh* the 5'th would have been perfect... Jwhal your bosses are terrible people... I hope they live a long life :/ 

Haha, but remember the date change also brought along Justin from Headamp and MrSpeakers, so it's not all bad.  On the downside, still haven't gotten my amp fully working, though I've made progress.  It will play music now but is highly distorted so I'm doing further troubleshooting.  Really hoping I can fix it before the meet.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #415 of 530

Sweet.  Fingers crossed.  Looking forward to the meet.  

Have you ever heard of Slappa?  They make backpacks/travel bags (most aimed at gamers I think) and cool headphone cases.  They're based in Charlotte actually.  I have a couple of their HP cases (really like 'em).  I was going to reach out to them and let them know about the meet in 'case' they wanted to swing by and bring some product to show.  If that's cool with you or if you want to reach out to them yourself, let me know.  

You're welcome to reach out to them, especially if they are in the local area.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #417 of 530
You guys who attended the Winston-Salem show last year remember the 2 older 'gentlemen' who you thought wandered in from the hotel lobby? Well, we will be back at this show to keep you guys straight!  We are David Pumphrey (dpump) and Scott Nixon. Scott is the maker of the famous TubeDac line and has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about audio. But he can still remember the most important parts. I have been on Head-Fi for many years, but I mostly read and shake my head at a lot of what is said on this site. Scott and I attended what I think was the first show in Charlotte maybe 3 years ago and I attended the last show in Charlotte that was at the same hotel with the record sellers also in the room. Looking forward to seeing all of you crazy guys again and hearing some phones and amps that will be new to me. See you on the 19th.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #418 of 530
  You guys who attended the Winston-Salem show last year remember the 2 older 'gentlemen' who you thought wandered in from the hotel lobby? Well, we will be back at this show to keep you guys straight!  We are David Pumphrey (dpump) and Scott Nixon. Scott is the maker of the famous TubeDac line and has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about audio. But he can still remember the most important parts. I have been on Head-Fi for many years, but I mostly read and shake my head at a lot of what is said on this site. Scott and I attended what I think was the first show in Charlotte maybe 3 years ago and I attended the last show in Charlotte that was at the same hotel with the record sellers also in the room. Looking forward to seeing all of you crazy guys again and hearing some phones and amps that will be new to me. See you on the 19th.

POR QUE... I need a new job in 10 days

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #419 of 530
Kinda slipped my mind but I'm gonna call and book my room tomorrow. Very excited to meet you all, and get a taste of what I'll be spending money on in the future :wink:.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #420 of 530

So cool that you and Scott Nixon will be there! I'm bringing one of Scott's Chibi DACs. He's a great guy and so interesting to talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back