Charlotte Area Meet January 20th, 2013
Dec 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #91 of 285
Quote:
Do I hav to bring any equipment to attend? Cuz the most I hav is the vmoda m100 and I know that isn't that gr8 but I want to listen to a few rigs

No gear necessary, just come and listen to geart music on a lot of awsome setups. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #93 of 285
Wish we could get a Mjolnir/Gungnir owner on board.  So much hype about the LCD-3 paired with that.

I'd really like to hear the Jade as well, as I've never ventured into Electrostatic territory.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #94 of 285
Do I hav to bring any equipment to attend? Cuz the most I hav is the vmoda m100 and I know that isn't that gr8 but I want to listen to a few rigs

Nothing to be ashamed of there. Bring it along -- I hear a lot about it but I haven't been able to hear it yet.

My list of stuff to bring:

Probable portable gear:
Leckerton UHA-6s (first version)
RSA SR71B
Meier Porta Corda III
Red Giant A03 IEM

Probable home gear:
Cary Xciter DAC
Meier-style adjustable crossfeed box
Harmon-Kardon HK 670 vintage receiver
Violectric HPA-100
HE-6
Sony CD 3000 headphones

Also probably other things I haven't decided on yet.

Anybody from the Durham area interested in carpooling?

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #95 of 285
Wish we could get a Mjolnir/Gungnir owner on board.  So much hype about the LCD-3 paired with that.

I'd really like to hear the Jade as well, as I've never ventured into Electrostatic territory.

Vc don't know if you missed the post but mjolnir/gungnir will be there, with lcd3

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #97 of 285
Quote:
Ah, yeah I totally must've missed the post.

Awesome!  Excited to make the trip out, since this will be my first meet.

Ha, I figured that was why you mentioned you don't have a balanced cable for your HD800, since the Mjolnir only takes balanced headphones.  I've read the HD800 pairs very well with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack as well.  

Long shot suggestion here..... maybe if someone going to the meet is on good terms with/well trusted by Drew of Moon Audio, they could try talking him into loaning them one of his balanced Black Dragon HD800 cables to demo with the Schiit stack.  Could be worth a shot.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #98 of 285
I just ordered a Yamaha A-S300 amplifier to use as a dedicated power source for my K1000. Driving the K1000 with a speaker amp as apposed to a headphone amp IMO makes a hugh difference. Anyhow, this is one more listening experience to look forward too. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #100 of 285
What kind of amp connector does your K1000 have, fatcat? I'm planning on bringing a big ol' vintage receiver you might want to try it on, and will have a 4-pin XLR adaptor you can use to drive it right off the speaker taps. (It's safe; I use it for my HE-6).

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #101 of 285
I just ordered a Yamaha A-S300 amplifier to use as a dedicated power source for my K1000. Driving the K1000 with a speaker amp as apposed to a headphone amp IMO makes a hugh difference. Anyhow, this is one more listening experience to look forward too. 

Looks like it matches your cd player nicely

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #102 of 285
I'd certainly be interested in hearing the HE-6 off that new speaker amp.  When I had the HE-6, I used it with a mid 90's 100wpc kenwood receiver (Not the good vintage Kenwood).  Plenty of power but still an old mass market av receiver.  Should sound much better with the Yamaha.  

Nice choice on the newer Yamaha Hifi gear.  I very much like the aesthetic design of that line.  I remember your cd player from the Canfest in April (I had the Rev.1 LCD-2 with ALO cable)

The new Teac 501 series is of a similar design.  They are on my shortlist pending some impressions of how they actually sound.

http://audio.teac.com/product/ha-501/

http://teac.jp/product/ud-501/

I got to hear their small dac/amp combo (UD-H01) at canfest and remember being quite impressed for the money.  Hoping these will be a significant step up

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #104 of 285
Quote:
What kind of amp connector does your K1000 have, fatcat? I'm planning on bringing a big ol' vintage receiver you might want to try it on, and will have a 4-pin XLR adaptor you can use to drive it right off the speaker taps. (It's safe; I use it for my HE-6).

The stock K1000 came terminated with a 4 pin XLR plus two pigtail adapters, an XLR to TRS and an XLR with four wires to attach to speaker outputs. I have both.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #105 of 285
Quote:
Looks like it matches your cd player nicely

The A-S300 has the same retro look as my CD-S2000 however the marketing geniuses at Yamaha decided to offer it in black only in the USA. I could have ordered Silver from a UK dealer but their price and shipping across the pond brought the total to way more than I was willing to spend. So I'll have a silver CD player and headphone amp and a black speaker amp. Not my first choice but I'll live. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back