Charlotte Area Meet January 20th, 2013
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #79 of 285
Pretty sure everyone's welcome, and for that matter I'm sure others would like to hear the M100s so definitely bring them too.

Well, HD800 and HE-500 are at the top of my list of things to hear, so that'll be awesome. The one time I heard the HD800 I didn't like it, but it was at Drew's table and I don't remember what it was plugged into. Definitely looking forward to hearing it in a proper setup; still no telling if I'll like it, but at least it'll have a fair chance that way.

Also, great news on the Mjolnir/Gungnir; definitely looking forward to getting to try that out!

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #82 of 285
Oh, and while we're all there I'm going to want to get a couple opinions on my LCD-2s.

My suspicion is that my right ear is sensitive to the air pressure they put on/in it (being planars and all), throwing off my sense of the sound being balanced. When I listen to frequency sweeps and the like it all seems proper and even, but when just listening to music it sometimes (some material, some volume levels) sounds off center and the right channel perhaps congested or something. But at the same time if I listen for details they all seem to be there...

Also have every intent to try it on other amps and A/B with the LCD-3s and see if I get the same sensation.

With how good they sound and the variability of it, it seems most likely it's just my ear being weird; but it'd always be nice to definitely confirm to myself that there's nothing wrong with my cans.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #83 of 285
Quote:
Oh, and while we're all there I'm going to want to get a couple opinions on my LCD-2s.

My suspicion is that my right ear is sensitive to the air pressure they put on/in it (being planars and all), throwing off my sense of the sound being balanced. When I listen to frequency sweeps and the like it all seems proper and even, but when just listening to music it sometimes (some material, some volume levels) sounds off center and the right channel perhaps congested or something. But at the same time if I listen for details they all seem to be there...

Also have every intent to try it on other amps and A/B with the LCD-3s and see if I get the same sensation.

With how good they sound and the variability of it, it seems most likely it's just my ear being weird; but it'd always be nice to definitely confirm to myself that there's nothing wrong with my cans.

Which revision of LCD-2 do you own?  
Quote:
Pretty sure everyone's welcome, and for that matter I'm sure others would like to hear the M100s so definitely bring them too.

Well, HD800 and HE-500 are at the top of my list of things to hear, so that'll be awesome. The one time I heard the HD800 I didn't like it, but it was at Drew's table and I don't remember what it was plugged into. Definitely looking forward to hearing it in a proper setup; still no telling if I'll like it, but at least it'll have a fair chance that way.

Also, great news on the Mjolnir/Gungnir; definitely looking forward to getting to try that out!

The HD800 with the V200/V800 pairing is heaven for me.  I did not like the HD800 with the LF339 on any tube configuration that I tried.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #84 of 285
Defiant you might very well get the same sensation with the 3s. The pads are bigger and for lack of better words, squishier. They can create a suction around your ears.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #85 of 285
Definitely want to listen to the 800's again, I don't think I gave them enough of a listen the last time I heard them.

If anybody is interested I could bring a reel to reel as a source just for chuckles. Heck, I have them coming out my ears now since my latest "OMG I can't pass this up" episode.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #86 of 285
Latest revision, rosewood version. And yeah, if I get the same sensation with the 3s (and you don't hear anything weird with my 2s) then I'm fine chalking it up to my ears, they still sound excellent regardless.

I would just hate to find out after years of thinking it's my ears that there's an actual issue that I could have easily gotten corrected.

Edit: Oh, and did you get the USB card with your Gungnir? If so then we'll have to set up next to each other since that'll be a really easy way to A/B since it's the same card/drivers as my Bifrost.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #90 of 285
Good to know.

I'll probably try it out of my setup just for curiousity's sake, but my real interest is hearing it on yours.

Edit: And feel free to mostly disregard my concerned ramblings, I find I get a bit paranoid with stuff this expensive. I'll still certainly appreciate others' opinions just to make sure, but this is one of those concerns that just sitting down and listening to them easily alleviates (like I'm doing now, man these still blow me away with how good they sound...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back